NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus NX vs. RX in ride comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 03:42 PM
MemesGenes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus NX vs. RX in ride comfort?

Some of the reviews that I've read and watched claim that the RX has significantly better ride comfort than the NX when it comes to both road noise and the suspension absorbing bumps. What are your guys' experiences?
Old 05-29-19, 04:54 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

I drove extensively new RX350 and my daily driver is NX200t. RX (not F version) is quieter and rides "softer" vs NX. On occasions when I had to drive RX, I could not wait to get in my NX. Why? NX drives like a car and RX drives like a refrigerator mounted on waterbed. It is top heavy!
But, for cross-country drive I would get RX and drive like old lady.
Old 05-29-19, 05:50 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I can only compare the last gen RX (2013) and the NX. The NX has a more jostling ride and considerably more road and wind noise. From my perspective, there isn’t a big handling difference, but I don’t drive aggressively so it isn’t something I would necessarily notice. Bottom line, the RX is just quieter and more composed - and I’m fairly certain the new generation, which is larger, has improved on that.
The following users liked this post:
portnorth (07-10-21)
Old 05-29-19, 06:23 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
I can only compare the last gen RX (2013) and the NX. The NX has a more jostling ride and considerably more road and wind noise. From my perspective, there isn’t a big handling difference, but I don’t drive aggressively so it isn’t something I would necessarily notice. Bottom line, the RX is just quieter and more composed - and I’m fairly certain the new generation, which is larger, has improved on that.
The NX handles much better than the RX, but the NX isn't all that impressive even in the best handling version (F-Sport with AVS) compared to a lot of other SUV's in the class.

RX definitely wins in quietness and ride comfort though.
crankshaft (05-30-19)
Old 05-30-19, 09:31 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

RX has significantly better ride comfort. That's the fact and nothing really to discuss. By simple virtue of being much larger/heavier vehicle. NX is tin can. I had both in garage, I can easily compare.
And don't confuse handling with riding comfort. Those are two very different animals. Again, you have smaller lighter vehicle that WILL handle better just by virtue of being that.
portnorth (07-10-21)
Old 05-30-19, 11:14 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

It’s best just to drive them. Opinions on drive, comfort and handling all are pretty subjective.

For example, I had read about how great the MDX Advance was but I ended up hating the way it drove.
corinvest (05-30-19)
Old 05-30-19, 01:00 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ross7777
It’s best just to drive them. Opinions on drive, comfort and handling all are pretty subjective.

For example, I had read about how great the MDX Advance was but I ended up hating the way it drove.
Go drive a Macan...nothing comes even remotely close to how they drive in the class. I tried the NX, X3, Q5, GLC, GLA, F-Pace (second place), Macan, XC60, Discovery, Evoque, and I think I'm missing one other when I was shopping for my NX and the Macan was night/day compared to the others. I ended up with an NX though because of Lexus reliability and the value...you get a lot more for your money in the NX than a lot of those other ones.
Old 05-30-19, 01:38 PM
gulshan
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ride comfort is often mistaken for just the suspension feel on rough pavement. Actually it is much more than that. It is how "you" feel driving it not just the suspension. Some like larger vehicles , some smaller nimble toss able ones that are easy to maneuver and park. Think of gloves that fit snug and prefect and gloves that are one size larger..Also how do you feel after driving for say 3 hours. Seat comfort , lumbar support, sound isolation etc..
Old 05-30-19, 01:41 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gulshan
Ride comfort is often mistaken for just the suspension feel on rough pavement. Actually it is much more than that. It is how "you" feel driving it not just the suspension. Some like larger vehicles , some smaller nimble toss able ones that are easy to maneuver and park. Think of gloves that fit snug and prefect and gloves that are one size larger..Also how do you feel after driving for say 3 hours. Seat comfort , lumbar support, sound isolation etc..

I agree with this.
Old 05-31-19, 10:54 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

My wife has an RX, and I have the NX. I drive the RX occasionally, and I just have to remember that I can't corner the same way as I can in the NX. The RX floats much more than the NX. It absorbs bumps better, and has less wind noise. I do prefer the tighter suspension of the NX most of the time.
portnorth (07-10-21)
Old 05-31-19, 12:37 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

2017 RX FSport is nice ride, but no fun.
2016 NX FSport is fun to drive and my go to car.
Old 05-31-19, 01:14 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kent2174
2017 RX FSport is nice ride, but no fun.
2016 NX FSport is fun to drive and my go to car.
They updated the RX for 2020 with an FSport appearance and Fsport performance option. Sport suspension and even a cold air intake.
Old 06-01-19, 06:56 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

OP crossposted this question in RX forum.
He has 9 out of 10 RX is more comfortable ride.
Again, you keep confusing ride comfort with things like cornering, driveability, performance, etc. All thos are apples and oranges.

Ride quality refers to a vehicle's effectiveness in insulating the occupants from undulations in the road surface (e.g., bumps or corrugations).[1]
A vehicle with good ride quality provides a comfort for the driver and passengers.[

Good ride quality provides comfort for the people inside the car, minimizes damage to cargo and can reduce driver fatigue on long journeys in uncomfortable vehicles,[5]
and also because road disruption can impact the driver's ability to control the vehicle.[7]
Suspension design is often a compromise between ride quality and car handling, because cars with firm suspension can result in greater control of body movements and quicker reactions. Similarly, a lower center of gravity is more ideal for handling, but low ground clearance limits suspension travel, requiring stiffer springs

OP either wants to know COMFORT, or HANDLING.
Old 06-01-19, 07:14 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

He should really just drive them rather than read what others think.
olgzr (06-01-19)
Old 06-01-19, 12:07 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MemesGenes
Some of the reviews that I've read and watched claim that the RX has significantly better ride comfort than the NX when it comes to both road noise and the suspension absorbing bumps. What are your guys' experiences?
I don't think the OP is confused, (s)he specifically mentioned "ride comfort", "road noise" and "suspension absorbing bumps".

My experience was only with previous gen RX. I'd say with NX on 17" OEM wheels/tires, it was slightly better in terms of ride comfort, road noise and suspension absorbing bumps against previous gen RX. Not sure about the 18" OEM wheel options (especially the F-sport ones with summer tires), but my guess is this will translate into a slightly inferior ride comfort vs the RX.

Quick Reply: Lexus NX vs. RX in ride comfort?