NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Warrenty or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-19, 06:03 AM
sharon5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrenty or not

My 2015 NX is running fine but I am wondering about getting an extended warranty - I am the second owner 30,000 miles

Warranty is for 4 years $3,500 covers major items not everyday wear and tear
do you think it’s worth the money???
Old 05-11-19, 06:25 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sharon5
My 2015 NX is running fine but I am wondering about getting an extended warranty - I am the second owner 30,000 miles

Warranty is for 4 years $3,500 covers major items not everyday wear and tear
do you think it’s worth the money???
I contemplated the same thing with our NX. I think $3500 for the warranty is way too high. Half that would be more appropriate. I finally decided not to get the extended warranty, the car has been so reliable and there are so few reports of problems on the forum. Let us know what you decide.
Old 05-11-19, 07:02 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 691 Posts

Extended warranties are like profit machines for the dealers and others who sell them. Typically, the markup on an extended warranty would be several hundred percent.

Yes, there is a chance that, in the next 4 years, you could have over $3500 in repairs that would be covered by the extended warranty, but the chances of that happening are quite small. And if, over the course of ownership of your next 4 cars, you do not buy any extended warranties, you are almost guaranteed to be thousands of dollars ahead.

What makes more sense than spending $3500 on the extended warranty would be to take that $3500 and put it into a savings account that is dedicated to unexpected car repairs that would have been covered by an extended warranty. If you do that, it is more than likely that, 4 years from now, you will still have most of that $3500 left.
The following users liked this post:
corinvest (05-11-19)
Old 05-11-19, 07:45 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Had extended warranties on my last 5 Lexus cars. Have not used it yet!. I buy the warranty for the good feeling knowing that I have a very reliable car, with a very low chance that if anything goes wrong, I'm covered!. It's just a good feeling knowing that there is no money needed to be put away in case something goes wrong with the car.

The extended warranty is to expensive for such reliable cars, but for me, realizing I am covered, makes me feel better. Maybe something like life insurance, since I am in reasonable good health, numbers say any money won't be paid out until after I die, so what good is it to me? But it's there, just in case...
Old 05-11-19, 07:59 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I can't say I've ever had a major repair in the last 5 cars I've owned. Not to say it can't happen but it hasn't been my experience.
corinvest (05-11-19)
Old 05-11-19, 09:23 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Adding to what I said above, remember that, even after your 4 year 50,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty expires, you still have a 6 year or 70,000 mile power train warranty, and that power train warranty covers many of the most expensive potential repairs.

So, that makes it even less likely that you would ever have a need to collect $3500 from covered repairs during the time period of the extended warranty. Further, if you ever do need any repairs after the factory warranty expires, if you have the repair work done at a Toyota dealer or by an independent shop, the likely cost of repairs will only be about 1/2 (or less) of what the service department at a Lexus dealer would charge.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
arfjr1955 (04-15-20), corinvest (05-11-19)
Old 05-11-19, 04:49 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-warranty.html

This is an older thread on extended warranties. It lists a couple of places to get them at a discounted price. Since this thread is old, the prices are probably higher, but still better than what you were quoted. If you want the warranty, check with them on current prices.
Old 05-12-19, 10:00 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

My wife and I got extended warranties on our last two Lexuses (2008 IS, 2010 RX) now since traded/sold), and never used them. We bought from Jerry (see the link), and that was straightforward.
Old 05-12-19, 10:29 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by olgzr
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-warranty.html

This is an older thread on extended warranties. It lists a couple of places to get them at a discounted price. Since this thread is old, the prices are probably higher, but still better than what you were quoted. If you want the warranty, check with them on current prices.

I don't know whether the information is correct or not, but I've read posts here on CL that have said that, in the last couple of years, Lexus has changed its policies regarding selling extended warranties and that they no longer allow dealers to sell them to out-of-state buyers.
Old 05-12-19, 10:45 AM
mirkee
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I would be curious to find out the answer to that. My wife has a Mercedes 2017 C-300. I was able to obtain a service agreement from an out of state dealer at a deep discount. Getting service with it is a breeze. Same dealer also sells Mercedes extended warranty at a discount. It's a common thing with Mercedes. The price the dealer gets for extended warranty is too much for such a reliable car but at a discount it may make more sense.
Old 05-13-19, 09:22 AM
gulshan
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some tips that may help. Use carmax as a reference for pricing. 5 year bumper to bumper carmax maxcare with $100 deductible and like 100k miles is about $1,400 for a 2015 nx out of warranty.
Your local credit union (not leading banks) offer excellent auto extended warranty's at good prices (not as cheap as carmax and not as expensive as dealers.. good in between). Some require you loan the car from them to get the warranty some sell the warranty direct. For my old BMW I took a loan to get the warr and then paid off the loan. Good luck
mirkee (05-13-19)
Old 05-15-19, 06:58 PM
tincan13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several things to consider when buying an extended warranty. These are some of the things I learned when I owned a motorhome and belonged to Coast-to-Coast and got their monthly magazine. Every month their action line had numerous complaints about extended warranties not paying for expected claims. Read the fine print.

1). When they say 75,000 mile warranty, they mean 75,000 miles on your odometer - not 75,000 additional miles from purchase of the warranty.

2). You are not covered if a warranted part fails as a result of failure of a non-warranted part. Example: You're doing 75mph on an interstate and a water hose (not covered) bursts and your engine seizes before you come to a stop. Your engine repairs will not be covered. etc.

3). You must keep all maintenance receipts and records.

4). Must get pre-approval for all repairs.
Old 05-17-19, 05:50 PM
claarn
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't you have a 6yr/70k powertrain? You have a great reliable car. No extended warranty is needed at this point. The Lexus powertrain is one of the best manufacturer warranties on the market. Why? Because they are saying that they know the vehicle is A+ in quality.
Put the $3500 in a money market account earning 2%+ and pump in $20 a month. In approx three years when you will be out of the manuf warranty you will have an extra $1k (total ~$4500) to throw at maintenance etc...
Old 05-18-19, 07:07 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

main reason for a warranty will be the electronics in car like nav...thats like 3500 by itself. I bought the ext warranty from dealer which gives me 8/80k and it added 2.2k or 2.5....forget....imo it was basically thrown in for free when I purchased car. I asked for it while negotiating. hope I never have to use it.
Old 06-30-19, 02:30 AM
Rpickoff
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Torii
main reason for a warranty will be the electronics in car like nav...thats like 3500 by itself. I bought the ext warranty from dealer which gives me 8/80k and it added 2.2k or 2.5....forget....imo it was basically thrown in for free when I purchased car. I asked for it while negotiating. hope I never have to use it.
I just bought my 2020 NX and I swore to myself I would reject all the BS they try to sell you. I successfully rejected paint protection, Wheel and tire protection but I caved on the extended warranty when he discounted it. 5 yr, 125,000 miles for $2185. I drive alot of miles. I bought it because it is such a highly reliable car but I, too, feel better having it. I had such a bad experience with a BMW with out of warranty repairs that I still have nightmares. Next time!
LexNYC83 (11-17-19)

Quick Reply: Warrenty or not