NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Remote Start- engine stops after opening the door

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 10:08 AM
paulleeRN
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remote Start- engine stops after opening the door

I traded my Hyundai Tucson Limited '16 for my NX300 FSport '19. i did make sure that what i have with my Tucson, I will also get with my NX (my Tucson is the highest trim, with the Ultimate Package). My current NX did not fail of matching what i had with my Tucson EXCEPT for the remote start feature.

My Tucson has a remote start capability thru mobile app and alexa/google home. After successful remote start of my Tucson, i can approach my car, recognize i have my keyfob. i can open the door, enter and sit in my car, shift to D and im ready to go. But this is not the same with my NX- after successful remote start, unlocks the door, BOOM! Engine STOPS. need to press on the break pedal, and hit the start button.

I called the Lexus customer service and they have verified that the feature is being built that way, for "security reasons", to avoid someone else get in to your car and drive it. For me, this does not make any sense. My Tucson's engine will stop if it will not sense that the key fob is inside the car. you will not even able to open the car if you don't have the key fob with you after successful remote start. for me, this is the security feature, not the one with our NX or lexus cars in general.

i do believe that this is a "limitation" rather than a "security feature". it is just surprising for Lexus not able to figure this out, where other care manufacturers was able to.

so, yesterday i did also try the remote start using my key fob (after multiple attempts to master the sequence) while walking towards the parking lot after work. i have pretended that im in a rush, and it's spring time, and i need to start my car and leave the parking lot ASAP. remote start was successful- on this regard, the purpose has been met. but as i have opened the door, engine stopped. and i have to restart the engine, shift changed to D and left. granted it's winter time, this will be a total no sense at all as 1min to approach the car is not enough to warm up the car (except you did it thru the mobile app, where you have plenty of time preparing to leave the office and your car's engine is up and running, will be able to warm it up).

NX is a wonderful car, no doubt about it. personally, i have decided to trade my Tucson for NX for the mere reason that i want to have a luxury car with the same experience with the car i used to have. since this is Lexus, im expecting more (i paid more, so i have to expect more).

thoughts?
Old 05-02-19, 10:14 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

No argument here. It's unfortunate, but this is how Lexus and Toyota models behave with remote start.

On my GS, I really only use it in the heat of summer and the cold of winter. I'm not using it much right now in the spring. So I remote start it via the app before I leave my desk at work. By the time I get out to it, the seats are warmed up (winter) or the cabin is cooled off (summer). Luckily it doesn't take much effort or time to restart once I open the door and get in, but I still think it's silly.

I don't know why they implemented it this way.
Old 05-02-19, 10:18 AM
paulleeRN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
No argument here. It's unfortunate, but this is how Lexus and Toyota models behave with remote start.

On my GS, I really only use it in the heat of summer and the cold of winter. I'm not using it much right now in the spring. So I remote start it via the app before I leave my desk at work. By the time I get out to it, the seats are warmed up (winter) or the cabin is cooled off (summer). Luckily it doesn't take much effort or time to restart once I open the door and get in, but I still think it's silly.

I don't know why they implemented it this way.
i totally agree! it is unfortunate but it will be on us on how we can maximize the feature. but it is still useful, like what you've said during times of winter and summer. not useful for the sole purpose of saving time during rush moments.
Old 05-02-19, 10:41 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Some things on the Lexus are designed great, other things could use some improvement. Our other vehicle, you remote start, unlock by touching the door handle and get in, the engine stays running. But if you put it in gear without touching the start button, it dies. If you step on the brake pedal, hit the start button, then put it in gear, all is good. This is a little better than the Lexus, but not as good as your Hyundai. There are a few things on the Lexus that I would have designed differently, but overall, they did a pretty good job.
Old 05-02-19, 10:46 AM
paulleeRN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by olgzr
Some things on the Lexus are designed great, other things could use some improvement. Our other vehicle, you remote start, unlock by touching the door handle and get in, the engine stays running. But if you put it in gear without touching the start button, it dies. If you step on the brake pedal, hit the start button, then put it in gear, all is good. This is a little better than the Lexus, but not as good as your Hyundai. There are a few things on the Lexus that I would have designed differently, but overall, they did a pretty good job.
my Tucson's engine will not stop. as I have said, all you need to do is to shift to D (of course need to press the break pedal) and you're good to go. no need to touch the start button.

and yes, some needs improvement (specifically the remote start function, thru alexa for example- I can tell alexa to start my car and set my preferred temperature), and no argument that some are not good as my Tucson. but the fact that im looking for the feature that my Tucson have, it means something is missing. not a biggie though to return my car and be miserable of owning my NX.

again, don't get me wrong. I love my NX.

Last edited by paulleeRN; 05-02-19 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-02-19, 11:54 AM
gulshan
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes. That feature as you described is bit annoying for a Lexus but on the flip side you will live a long and happy life with the NX. It is not going to randomly catch fire and burn you to death. Heard 3 million Hyundai's recalled for randomly catching fire. You can google for "Hyundai fires" for details.
Old 05-02-19, 01:22 PM
paulleeRN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gulshan
Yes. That feature as you described is bit annoying for a Lexus but on the flip side you will live a long and happy life with the NX. It is not going to randomly catch fire and burn you to death. Heard 3 million Hyundai's recalled for randomly catching fire. You can google for "Hyundai fires" for details.
i haven't heard about it for Tucson though, and i haven't had any recall notification with my ex-car Tucson.

I just hope i will stick to this NX '19 and will not be tempted to upgrade if a new NX comes up.
Old 05-02-19, 01:57 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

My wife’s 2013 Highlander is the same way with remote start. Turns off when you open the door.
Old 05-02-19, 04:40 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by paulleeRN

I called the Lexus customer service and they have verified that the feature is being built that way, for "security reasons", to avoid someone else get in to your car and drive it. For me, this does not make any sense. My Tucson's engine will stop if it will not sense that the key fob is inside the car. you will not even able to open the car if you don't have the key fob with you after successful remote start. for me, this is the security feature, not the one with our NX or lexus cars in general.
What is also apparently different between the remote start on your Hyundai and the remote start on Lexus vehicles is that, with Lexus vehicles, you can actually drive off without the fob in the car. You need the fob in the car to start the car, but, once it has been started, if you were to leave the car while the engine was running and get back in without the key fob, you would be able to drive off. However, once you stopped the engine, you would not be able to re-start it without having the fob in the car.
Old 05-27-19, 06:11 AM
shaniani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded my Hyundai Tucson Limited '16 for my NX300 FSport '19. i did make sure that what i have with my Tucson, I will also get with my NX (my Tucson is the highest trim, with the Ultimate Package). My current NX did not fail of matching what i had with my Tucson EXCEPT for the remote start feature.

My Tucson has a remote start capability thru mobile app and alexa/google home. After successful remote start of my Tucson, i can approach my car, recognize i have my keyfob. i can open the door, enter and sit in my car, shift to D and im ready to go. But this is not the same with my NX- after successful remote start, unlocks the door, BOOM! Engine STOPS. need to press on the break pedal, and hit the start button.

i do believe that this is a "limitation" rather than a "security feature". it is just surprising for Lexus not able to figure this out, where other care manufacturers was able to.

so, yesterday i did also try the remote start using my key fob (after multiple attempts to master the sequence) while walking towards the parking lot after work. i have pretended that im in a rush, and it's spring time, and i need to start my car and leave the parking lot ASAP. remote start was successful- on this regard, the purpose has been met. but as i have opened the door, engine stopped. and i have to restart the engine, shift changed to D and left. granted it's winter time, this will be a total no sense at all as 1min to approach the car is not enough to warm up the car (except you did it thru the mobile app, where you have plenty of time preparing to leave the office and your car's engine is up and running, will be able to warm it up).

NX is a wonderful car, no doubt about it. personally, i have decided to trade my Tucson for NX for the mere reason that i want to have a luxury car with the same experience with the car i used to have. since this is Lexus, im expecting more (i paid more, so i have to expect more).

thoughts?
What is the 'remote start using my key fob" that you are referring to? Thanks
Old 05-27-19, 07:11 AM
paulleeRN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shaniani
What is the 'remote start using my key fob" that you are referring to? Thanks
Remote start using the keyfob. There are steps of key press for this to activate.
Old 06-08-19, 11:24 AM
Alex50
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree...I dislike the 5 step to start. Granted for security...so I'm puzzled the remote button to open garage is ALWAYS on....someone breaks into your car....open the garage door...full access to your house.
Old 06-08-19, 02:35 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex50
I agree...I dislike the 5 step to start. Granted for security...so I'm puzzled the remote button to open garage is ALWAYS on....someone breaks into your car....open the garage door...full access to your house.
All Japanese made cars that I owned are like that. I used to have an Audi, and home-link button was not active if car ignition was not "on". Smart.
Old 09-23-20, 09:44 AM
paulleeRN
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
What is also apparently different between the remote start on your Hyundai and the remote start on Lexus vehicles is that, with Lexus vehicles, you can actually drive off without the fob in the car. You need the fob in the car to start the car, but, once it has been started, if you were to leave the car while the engine was running and get back in without the key fob, you would be able to drive off. However, once you stopped the engine, you would not be able to re-start it without having the fob in the car.
i found an article that the remote start built in lexus/toyota has no "security takeover" or simply "takeover". also, in my old car (the tucson), if the keyfob is not being sensed, it will beep and will not allow you to unlock the doors. I remember also one time when i was able to get in to the car and when i try to press the break to change gear (P -> D), engine will shut off coz it lost track of the keyfob.
Old 09-23-20, 04:48 PM
Lexuswiz
Instructor

Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

i found an article that the remote start built in lexus/toyota has no "security takeover" or simply "takeover". also, in my old car (the tucson), if the keyfob is not being sensed, it will beep and will not allow you to unlock the doors. I remember also one time when i was able to get in to the car and when i try to press the break to change gear (P -> D), engine will shut off coz it lost track of the keyfob.
This is correct. A few makes have the same issue with full takeover and push to start. As a hobbyist installer, it gets old trying to explain to clients how this works, I also go to my NX and show them the cut off with my Viper SmartStart. It's funny, key'ed Toyotas and Lexus are not affected by this. I love getting in my 2005 RX and 2016 Scion iM, put the key in the ON position and drive off.