NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Enform vs Car Play

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 08:19 AM
MbA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enform vs Car Play

Just came back from the dealer. Almost all the new cars on the showroom had Apple Car Play installed. I asked about an upgrade to Enform 2.0 since I have a pre October 2019 NX 300. Was told that probably no upgrade from Lexus since all the cars now had Apple Car Play.
Old 04-14-19, 07:22 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

There is another thread here about Lexus upgrading 2018 and 2019 models.

"Lexus remains committed to enhancing our in-vehicle multimedia guest experience. We are currently conducting an internal trial for Apple CarPlayŽ compatibility in some 2018 LC, 2018 LS, 2018/19 NX, 2018 RC, 2018/19 RC F, and 2019 ES (non-navigation). At this time, we do not have any additional information we can share but anticipate providing further details to the applicable guests in Summer 2019."
Old 04-14-19, 07:33 PM
MbA
Driver School Candidate

Sounds great. Have been very frustrated with Enform 2.0 and Scout GPS. I hope they make the upgrade, Thank you for your reply.
Old 04-15-19, 07:26 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MbA
Sounds great. Have been very frustrated with Enform 2.0 and Scout GPS. I hope they make the upgrade, Thank you for your reply.
I have the Nav package. It’s not much better. Sometimes the routes it picks are real head scratchers.
Old 04-15-19, 11:16 AM
MbA
Driver School Candidate

There many times when the Nav System doesn't work at all. Apps greyed out Scout Gps not functioning.I can go into details if you wish. This has been an on going battle
since I purchased the car in October.
Old 04-16-19, 09:12 AM
MbA
Driver School Candidate

Decided to discuss the issues. The first problem is with Blue Tooth. Car's blue connected to my wife's iPhone even though she is not in the car. When I get into the car blue tooth does not recognize my iPhone. Apps greyed out. It is possible that even though her phone is in the house it is not far away from the car to disconnect her phone from the blue tooth connection in the car. Went to the dealer, about fifteen miles away, by the time I got there my phone was reconnected at the apps were activated. Second issue is with Scout GPS. Map function not working eg turn by turn. I was using both USB ports. First one with my iPhone and the second my iPod touch .As soon as I completely disconnected the iPod touch map function returned. I discussed this with an engineer and he suggested that there may be a power issue involved when both USB ports are engaged. Any ideas? I also wonder if Car Play will have the same problem when both ports are engaged.
Old 04-16-19, 09:39 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

I believe there is a setting to prioritize which phone connects to Bluetooth when both are in the car.

As far as the USB ports, I haven’t checked but one is probably high speed(more power) and the other is not.

Can you load the music on your iPhone and skip the iPod?
Old 04-16-19, 10:32 AM
MbA
Driver School Candidate

Checked about prioritizing the phones via blue tooth and you are correct. Looked at the USB ports they are the same. However on page 111 of the Navigation and Multimedia System Owner's Manual it says the following:If two devices are connected to the USB ports, depending on the devices, both may not be able to be recognized by the system at the same time. That's the answer. Nobody at Lexus ever stated that. Thanks for you help.
Old 04-19-19, 05:38 PM
MbA
Driver School Candidate

Blue tooth is a mess and unreliable. Worked great for a while then kept losing the BT connection. I belong to a Mac User Group and our guru told me that the BT on most cars is not very good. So I have this unreliable problem with it. Rebooted the phone, connected and disconnected my iPhone and finally got the Apps to work again.
Old 04-19-19, 05:56 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MbA
Blue tooth is a mess and unreliable. Worked great for a while then kept losing the BT connection. I belong to a Mac User Group and our guru told me that the BT on most cars is not very good. So I have this unreliable problem with it. Rebooted the phone, connected and disconnected my iPhone and finally got the Apps to work again.
I only use BT for music and Siri Eyes Free and so far it’s been rock solid with an iPhone 8. What iPhone do you have?
Old 04-19-19, 07:33 PM
MbA
Driver School Candidate

I have the 10s Music is not a problem It is using BT with Enform 2.0 The Apps are greyed out eg they don't connect. After going through the above mentionioned gyrations they become activated and I can connect Scout GPS
Old 04-19-19, 08:27 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MbA
I have the 10s Music is not a problem It is using BT with Enform 2.0 The Apps are greyed out eg they don't connect. After going through the above mentionioned gyrations they become activated and I can connect Scout GPS
Ah. I think you need the app running on your phone. I don’t use any of the apps in the NX.
Old 04-20-19, 11:51 AM
MbA
Driver School Candidate

But I like the larger screen built into the car.Don't want to use the screen on my iPhone to navigate.eg Waize
Old 04-20-19, 11:55 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MbA
But I like the larger screen built into the car.Don't want to use the screen on my iPhone to navigate.eg Waize
Hopefully they come through with the CarPlay Upgrade.

Do you have the Navigation package?
Old 04-20-19, 11:58 AM
MbA
Driver School Candidate

No I know people with the navigation package and they don't have these issues.

Quick Reply: Enform vs Car Play