NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

What's my decision?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-19, 11:26 AM
jaybarbara
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up What's my decision?

Since I'm an old fart, and having driven cars, trucks and classic cars for the last 62 years, I think I've earned the right to making a decision!! lol
First: there is NO DOUBT the cars of today are head and shoulders above the crapmobiles made in the not so distant past.
Today's cars are quiet, comfortable, more powerful, and safer than any cars in the past!
But, they are also more finicky, less amenable to customer repairing, and definitely less individualized and good looking than the cars of yore!!! In fact, most of them are Butt Ugly!! And they all look the same! You have to read the brand to tell the difference! I remember when the change of the model year was waited for with baited breath! And the arguments as to which was more beautiful went on for weeks and weeks! Not any more--none of them today could win a beauty contest if they were the only competitor!
The mechanical advances are truly astounding, the overall quality is astounding, BUT, the cost is astounding also!!!
To me, the most game changing thing in the last decade or so has been Turbo and/or Supercharging everyday cars. This one advance has taken enthusiasm out of the lives of car lovers!
Fuel injection also helped put the shade mechanic out to pasture. Without a good old fashioned Rochester or Autolite 4 BBL. to play with, there isn't much ;left but to drive it!
There is no more "fiddling" with the car-- it is what it is!
This 2019 NX is my first turbocharged car. It took a lot for me to believe that a 2.0L engine could move a 3500 pound car, much less do it and get 20+ mpg! But I feel that all the response of the engine is in the first 10-20% of throttle. It's either accelerating at a slow speed or a fast speed, but the difference between 20% throttle and 90% throttle is almost the same. Maybe it's my imagination, but the car is either on Go or NoGo.
My decision is to NOT buy a supercharged or turbocharged car in the future. The final nail in the coffin is the REDICULOUS necessity of "cooling down" the turbocharger when you finish driving the car. That's like having to feed the horse after you ride home from the range!!!
Next time I'll just stick with the good old-fashioned Fuel Injected V6, not my first choice (that'd be a 289 CI 4 bbl. Ford v-8), but as close as I can come to it!
Thanks for giving an old Goat a chance to vent!!!
Jay
Old 04-03-19, 01:48 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

The manual states you only need to let the car idle(cool down) after aggressive driving.
Old 04-03-19, 07:50 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Drive in sport rather than normal, the throttle becomes far more progressive/linear.

There's plenty of fiddling to be had on modern vehicles, it's just done differently. Rather than tuning the carb, you tune the ECU. And I'm glad the shade mechanic is gone, I like a vehicle that is reliable and starts and runs smooth every single day no matter the conditions. It's also funny that you say the NX looks like every other vehicle out there, it really has some distinctive styling. I think it's all what you are used to, in my mind almost all cars from the 60's and 70's look pretty well the same.

Also, you're telling me if you drove ***** to the wall in an old v8 that you would just shut it off immediately after? Nope...although, odds are the thing would overheat first lol
Old 04-04-19, 07:01 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

So you actually bought one? Oits... See, I told meself to never buy a 4 cyl. They just don't have it. yet, I did. So I paid for that "decision" with owning a vehicle that I simply could not make myself love. As you said, it's a go or no go. Got to be raced all the time to actually move as you want it to. Add to that strained engine sound, clearly showing that it has to work hard to move "those 3500 lbs" or whatever the weight is. Then you drive 3.5L V6 and you have a mighty different feel.
I hear you, jay. Well, i rid of mine. After it really got me as being a tincan on crappy roads during 3 hr a day commute. Luxury to me is comfort, and comfortable it was not. As a human moving machine. Maybe somewhere with silky smooth roads, maybe. Not around here.
Thing is, by the time it willl really get under your skin, there will be no V6 left in the segment. i don't think there are any even now. It's all turboed small engines....
Old 04-04-19, 04:02 PM
jaybarbara
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HA! You're probably right about it overheating!!! But, BOY it was a RUSH!!!! It'd bounce and sway and rattle like an SOB! The radio kept blasting and the wind would blow your hair (remember hair?) all over!
Old 04-11-19, 02:20 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts

Yes the NX is slow in my opinion. It lacks at least a solid 50-70 more horse power that it should have come. In all reality is should have been a naturally aspirated 6 cylinder. Don't get me wrong forced induction is fine. My STi only has a 2.5l engine but is making 307whp. My wife's d/d is a 07' solara that has a six cylinder making almost as much as the NX does. It's a world of difference in acceleration and just initial pep. Once you are cruising speeds it's fine but that initial jump or acceleration is just lacking in this NX. Don't get me going on the sound of this thing. It sounds horrible. Start up/acceleration just sounds like it's dying to me.

It's got lots of nice features and really looks nice, but I wish it had more power.

I have a turbo timer on my STi so when I shut off the ignition the car still runs for a minute (can set it to whatever). A lot of times back in the day you needed to run the car after a hard run so that oil didn't sit in the turbo line then crystallize..etc. That's pretty much non existent anymore for modern day cars. It's still good practice though if you have a hard run to let it idle for a few minutes rather than just shutting the vehicle off.

-Nigel
Old 04-11-19, 02:44 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Well compared to a STi yeah it’s slow. I’m coming from a G37x with 330HP and the NX is not as quick. But I’m satisfied with the acceleration in Sport+ mode. I just wish you could set the default mode to Sport+.

I’ll also say that I don’t do a ton of hard driving or pedal to the floor stuff. It’s certainly plenty fast enough for most situations. Merging etc.
Old 04-18-19, 12:01 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I find the torque in the nx to be great for city driving, the car just goes without making too much noise of fuss. I agree it is not as sensitive on the throttle as my is350, and does have some lag if your moving form a rolling start, but these are two very different cars. If you are expecting to be speed racer in the nx, you got the wrong car. I do agree that the nx could have a few more horses, but even in its current form, i carry 2 passengers and tow an 1800lb camper with little trouble, even up steep grades at 10,000 feet. I'm actually surprised the car does so well with the camper. I am in my mid 30's now and have a child, so I find myself driving the speed limit more often than not. I very much enjoy turbo engines and the efficiency they bring in exchange for a bit less response. I don't think the nx is perfect, but it's pretty darn good in my opinion.

ukrkoz, didn't you sell your nx? I was really hoping to be rid of you after that

The following users liked this post:
olgzr (04-19-19)
Old 04-19-19, 10:35 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

ukrkoz, didn't you sell your nx? I was really hoping to be rid of you after that

Traded it in. No regrets whatsoever.
I like you so much that I decided to stay and be your nemesis.
Old 04-19-19, 10:37 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz

Traded it in. No regrets whatsoever.
I like you so much that I decided to stay and be your nemesis.
Only pulling your leg, to each his own my friend. The nx forum is a little slow so we can use all the people we can get.
Old 04-19-19, 05:09 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

I know. And I pulled yours too. Only with a much more serious face, than SB's one. I am very good at poker face jokes. Ga-Ga could learn from me.
Old 04-19-19, 05:12 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Originally Posted by gompka
Only pulling your leg, to each his own my friend. The nx forum is a little slow so we can use all the people we can get.
It's slow because they didn't have time enough to rake up serious mileage and develop/show their problems. it'll pick up, no worries.
Old 04-19-19, 05:54 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
It's slow because they didn't have time enough to rake up serious mileage and develop/show their problems. it'll pick up, no worries.
Its slow because there are few problems. . We are 5 years in at this point.

The 2019 Acura RDX forums are loaded with complaints and issues.
The following users liked this post:
kent2174 (04-20-19)