NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

How to replace the DRL(Daytime Running Lights) on a 2019 Lexus NX 300

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-19, 11:08 PM
nxlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to replace the DRL(Daytime Running Lights) on a 2019 Lexus NX 300

Hi, I feel like we need an official thread on this topic because there are so many Lexus NX 300 base model owners that would love to change the DRL on their cars. Why? Look at the difference:

2019 Lexus NX 300 Base Model

2019 Lexus NX 300h and F Sport version Minus the headlights. Only DRL

This is extremely FULY in my opinion and i have to change it.

I contacted my Lexus dealer and they said that it's not possible to change the DRL. But i'm not giving up, I called another Lexus dealer out of state and they were much more help. The guy in the parts department gave me the part numbers and said that he checked the connectors and they're exactly the same.

I was going to order the parts from them but its 750 each. Thats a bit steep and if it doesn't work i can't return the parts. I looked online and found a NON oem version for 300 bucks each. I ordered them and took it to a local shop for them to install it. This is what happened:

The lights only turn on and blink when the turn sign is on and the light is orange. The lights do not turn on when sitting idle. The tech said that it seems like they're turn signal lights not DRL. Here's the description of the part from the site i ordered it from:
2019 Lexus NX 300 Daytime running Light, LED with F-Sport

There were only two options on the site. LED with F-Sport and non F-sport version. The non F-sport version is the same one that i have now that looks fugly.

Why does the light not turn on? Is it because the part is not OEM? Should i try the OEM at 750 each?

I would really love to change the DRL and also the headlights to the triple LED. I dont care if i have a check engine light on the dashboard. If anyone has any solutions to my problem, please respond with a detailed answer. I would love to get the DRL and triple LED headlights if possible.

Side note - does anyone know if i order the F Sport front bumper if it will fit on the base model?

Thanks,
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_3379.mov (2.94 MB, 184 views)

Last edited by nxlex; 02-23-19 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 09:25 AM
iizbor3d
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

When sitting idle shifted in park the automatic parking break is on which turns off DRL. Have you tried checking if the DRL turns on when you shift into drive?
Old 02-24-19, 09:43 AM
nxlex
Driver School Candidate

when sitting idle shifted in park, my DRL are on. I just went outside and tested this.

I'm assuming the guys that tried to install it tested every possible scenario. They were working on it for an hour but I hate to assume. Do you know how I can reach the connector to try it myself without taking the entire front bumper off?

Thanks,
Old 02-25-19, 03:38 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DRL strips themselves are probably fine. The connectors might be the same between the lights, but are probably pinned differently. You'll have to multimeter each pin to figure out which pin is the correct one to light the DRL strip.
Old 02-25-19, 03:40 PM
nxlex
Driver School Candidate

You're probably right. You would think the company I took it too would know this. I was also thinking maybe the lights are set off as a default and you have to go into the menu to enable it the first time? I really want to try putting it in myself but i need steps on how to get to the lights.

Last edited by nxlex; 02-25-19 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-01-19, 03:33 PM
NxTGen
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nxlex
You're probably right. You would think the company I took it too would know this. I was also thinking maybe the lights are set off as a default and you have to go into the menu to enable it the first time? I really want to try putting it in myself but i need steps on how to get to the lights.
Any update on this? I have a base Nx200t and would like to swap these out for the premium DRL/Turn signal LED's.
Old 05-01-19, 03:34 PM
nxlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NxTGen
Any update on this? I have a base Nx200t and would like to swap these out for the premium DRL/Turn signal LED's.
i gave up, sucks but I’m not investing more money on this unless someone comes with a solution and the actual steps.

theres a few other threads on this but no one has clear instructions which is extremely annoying.

good luck.
Old 05-01-19, 03:41 PM
NxTGen
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nxlex
i gave up, sucks but I’m not investing more money on this unless someone comes with a solution and the actual steps.

theres a few other threads on this but no one has clear instructions which is extremely annoying.

good luck.
I think what I may do is buy some on ebay, found decent used OEM ones for roughly $300 shipped for both left and right in the next few weeks. I have a scan tool as well that I can access and turn on/off certain options that the dealer usually does. This could have been your case with yours OR like stated above pin settings could be different on the premium but that makes no sense for Lexus to do that from a manufacturing standpoint but we shall see! If I am able to get them to work I will post a step by step for future turn signal goers.
Old 05-01-19, 03:48 PM
nxlex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NxTGen
I think what I may do is buy some on ebay, found decent used OEM ones for roughly $300 shipped for both left and right in the next few weeks. I have a scan tool as well that I can access and turn on/off certain options that the dealer usually does. This could have been your case with yours OR like stated above pin settings could be different on the premium but that makes no sense for Lexus to do that from a manufacturing standpoint but we shall see! If I am able to get them to work I will post a step by step for future turn signal goers.
that would be great! Appreciate it!
Old 05-03-19, 09:46 AM
dacommitte
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Up until now I never knew the DRLs were different between base and F-Sport. Further makes me happy I didn't get the base model because at one point I was about to pull the trigger on the base and my gut told me to wait.
Old 05-03-19, 12:35 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Stick with OEM!
Old 05-27-19, 05:50 PM
Bucktown80
Driver School Candidate

This is something I'd like to do with my girlfriend's base model NX 300 (comfort package only).
Old 05-21-23, 07:15 PM
jdt1984
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were you able to successfully do this?