NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2019 NX do you love it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-19, 08:46 PM
oops
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 NX do you love it?

Hi all, I found a 2019 NX that was returned by the owner with 100 miles because after buying it she realized she needed a bigger car for her family. The NX was returned as a trade in and took a depreciation hit. The same car brand new at another dealership is selling for $45K + fees. This car is going for $38K + fees with Premium Package, Navigation with the only exception that it's got 100 miles. I feel like the opportunity is really great to jump on but I'm still not sure. I currently drive a 2014 ES and I enjoy it with the exception of my tendency to scrape the bottom front bumper. It drives me insane, adds unnecessary stress and I have gotten it fixed several time. I feel like I should just be in a higher car...

my question is, 2019 NX owners... do you love yours? Anyone switched from an ES to a NX before? What's your experience like?

Thank you!

Last edited by oops; 02-23-19 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 04:57 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I like mine. Do an extended test drive.
Old 02-24-19, 07:31 AM
jaybarbara
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two completely different animals!!! I had 2 es350's, a 2014 for 24 months, and a 2016 for 36 months, both on lease.
We leased the 2019 nx, due to age, and figuring it would be easier on ingress and egress, and would be easier to load and unload the "trunk" on the NX.
We have had numerous cars, station wagons,vans and trucks over the years and have plenty of experience to come to a decision about likes and dislikes of a particular vehicle..
As you have probably guessed, my wife likes the es and I like the nx. Why? very simple---she likes the soft luxury and easy driving attributes of the es CAR, I like the firm ride and more solid seating and handling of the nx. SUV.
The things we each had in mind, easy in and out and easy load and unload satisfies both of us, but as far as comfort, luxury, soft ride and easy driving attributes draw is to have different opinions on the nx.
I will agree with her, the steering is a bit stiff as power steering units are concerned -- I don't mind having on tug on the wheel to start the ball rolling, but she HATES it! She's also not too happy about the ride (too stiff) and the noise level (too loud)!
Neither of us is crazy about the interior room, or the "trunk"area ( without dropping the rear seats), it is a small SUV after all, but we haven't really had any issue with space.
Bottom line---IT'S A TRUCK, NOT A CAR, even though all suv's are neither one nor the other (although they all try their damndest to be everything to everybody)!
She is not, and never was, a fan of trucks. I am, and always have been, a die-hard truck guy!! I think we're both RIGHT, it just depends on personal likes and dislikes.
The big question is what will we do when it's time for the next vehicle! Right now it's a flip of a coin, either one will partially satisfy either of us. One thing we do agree on, it's a nice car {truck), but there are many out there that fit that definition! Gonna be a big decision, when we have to make it!
The following users liked this post:
oops (02-24-19)
Old 02-24-19, 07:43 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

The tires on mine are disappointing and contribute to the road noise.
oops (02-24-19)
Old 02-24-19, 11:05 AM
oops
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jaybarbara
Two completely different animals!!! I had 2 es350's, a 2014 for 24 months, and a 2016 for 36 months, both on lease.
We leased the 2019 nx, due to age, and figuring it would be easier on ingress and egress, and would be easier to load and unload the "trunk" on the NX.
We have had numerous cars, station wagons,vans and trucks over the years and have plenty of experience to come to a decision about likes and dislikes of a particular vehicle..
As you have probably guessed, my wife likes the es and I like the nx. Why? very simple---she likes the soft luxury and easy driving attributes of the es CAR, I like the firm ride and more solid seating and handling of the nx. SUV.
The things we each had in mind, easy in and out and easy load and unload satisfies both of us, but as far as comfort, luxury, soft ride and easy driving attributes draw is to have different opinions on the nx.
I will agree with her, the steering is a bit stiff as power steering units are concerned -- I don't mind having on tug on the wheel to start the ball rolling, but she HATES it! She's also not too happy about the ride (too stiff) and the noise level (too loud)!
Neither of us is crazy about the interior room, or the "trunk"area ( without dropping the rear seats), it is a small SUV after all, but we haven't really had any issue with space.
Bottom line---IT'S A TRUCK, NOT A CAR, even though all suv's are neither one nor the other (although they all try their damndest to be everything to everybody)!
She is not, and never was, a fan of trucks. I am, and always have been, a die-hard truck guy!! I think we're both RIGHT, it just depends on personal likes and dislikes.
The big question is what will we do when it's time for the next vehicle! Right now it's a flip of a coin, either one will partially satisfy either of us. One thing we do agree on, it's a nice car {truck), but there are many out there that fit that definition! Gonna be a big decision, when we have to make it!
Jaybarbara, thank you for your very in depth share. This helps a lot!
Old 02-24-19, 11:12 AM
oops
Driver School Candidate

I was told by another 2019 NX user that the "whole entertainment is a Shi% show", that the User Interface and User Experience is not well thought out. He still has to pull out his phone because in his words, the natural connection is poorly designed.

Questions:

1) Is the infotainment system that bad??

2) Is the touch pad difficult/dangerous to use during drive?

3) Does the car come with Apply Car Play or Android Auto?

4) I was told Alexa Amazon is an option too... I only understand Alexa as the dome thing that you can speak to, to order things for you on Amazon.. what does that do in a vehicle?

What else do I need to consider when looking at an NX for purchase? I really dont want to make the switch and end up regretting.

Thanks!

Last edited by oops; 02-24-19 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-24-19, 12:07 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oops
I was told by another 2019 NX user that the "whole entertainment is a **** show", that the User Interface and User Experience is not well thought out. He still has to pull out his phone because in his words, the natural connection is poorly designed.

Questions:

1) Is the infotainment system that bad??

2) Is the touch pad difficult/dangerous to use during drive?

3) Does the car come with Apply Car Play or Android Auto?

4) I was told Alexa Amazon is an option too... I only understand Alexa as the thing that dome thing you can speak to, to order things for you on Amazon.. what does that do in a vehicle?

What else do I need to consider when looking at an NX for purchase? I really dont want to make the switch and end up regretting.

Thanks!
It works for me. Could it be improved? Yes. Like anything else it takes a little bit to master but there are settings that make it easier to use. The trackpad sensitivity, speed and haptic feedback can be adjusted.

Carplay was added to 2019 models built after Oct 2018. However, Lexus is more than likely going to add CarPlay to 2018/2019 models this summer.

I don't use Alexa so I’m not sure what it can do in this vehicle. If you hold down the phone off hook button you can use Siri Eyes free or Google Assistant with your voice. I use it primarily for music and reading/writing texts.

There are a lot of settings and adjustments so make sure a tech from Lexus runs through everything with you.
oops (02-24-19)
Old 02-24-19, 03:24 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

We have a 2015 ES and a 2016 NX. As others have stated, these are very different platforms. My wife has hip issues, and finds it easier to get in and out of the NX due to the ride height. She finds she has to crouch down more to get in the ES as it is so much closer to the ground.

In spite of that difference, we like the ES better for road trips as it has a smoother and more composed ride, and it is noticeably quieter. The NX has a more “jostling” ride compared to the ES, but it isn’t a bad ride. As a shorter vehicle, I like the NX better in city traffic. Our NX also has the triple LED headlights, so we definitely prefer it for nighttime driving.

We moved from an RX to the NX mostly due the the lower height for my wife - and frankly we just didn’t need that large a vehicle. The RX and ES are a closer match in terms of comfort and road noise.

Anyway, after three years with our NX, we have no regrets and have enjoyed the vehicle. It is just a great size for us, the seats are awesome and while it may not be as quiet as other Lexus vehicles, it still compares well next to many rental cars I have driven.

Bottom line, the car you identified sounds like an excellent deal and I wouldn’t hesitate to move on it.
oops (02-24-19)
Old 02-24-19, 04:36 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

NX infotainment will not keep you happy. Very few are. Yes, that pad is pain to use when driving. So it their mouse and joystick. It is not intuitive to use, you have to look down, very hard to pin point on the screen.. so do all adjustments when stopped... I am in 19 RX350L as I type, my NX is at dealership - and its joystick is no better. Give me a nice touchscreen, like I had in my Highlander...
OP, I want to caution you. You saw why car was returned, right? Do not repeat my mistake. It is small. Sorry, all those who love it, it is small. Don't fall for lower price to find out that you are crammed in it in few weeks. Choose wisely.
On a good side, after 2 days in RX350L, I'd actually prefer NX over it. This RX feels like a boat. Solid, but boat.
oops (02-24-19)
Old 02-24-19, 05:52 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Since the screen is up at eye level I’ve found I don’t ever look down. There is a pointer on the screen so no reason to look at the touchpad. People complain about it but after two months I’ve got it figured out. Turn up the pointer speed and you’ll get used to the routine.

You can also control the stereo with the steering wheel. There are also dedicated buttons for map, radio and other media. It’s really not as bad as people say IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by ross7777:
oops (02-24-19), slypx (02-27-19)
Old 02-25-19, 05:10 AM
mps2220
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I've gone through 6 Door lock actuators, 4 under warranty. Not Happy
Old 02-25-19, 08:38 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts

When we took my wife's NX in for the last "free" service I asked for an IS. They didn't have any to loan so they gave us a brand new ES. I much prefer that over the NX in all honestly. There was tons of leg room for me being 6'2". The ride seemed a lot smoother than the NX and overall I just really enjoyed a 4 door car. I felt the build quality was better on it as well. I've always enjoyed 4 door cars so perhaps I'm partial to that. I love our w211 e350. I will say I much prefer the touch pad interface over the little movable joystick pad that are on some Lexus models. Our NX has the touch pad and honestly it's not bad to me at all. It's only an issue when I am trying to move something or get to something and I'm on a bumpy road and my finger is moving erratically around making it do the same on the screen.

Tough call though. If it was me I'd keep the ES. If you need a small SUV then that would make sense. An easy way to not scrape the front bumper is knowing your approach angle and backing into parking spots. All of my cars have been lowered to some extent and I learned the hard way when I had a carbon fiber front lip on my STi get destroyed because I pulled too forward at a parking spot. It was the best $500 mistake I made but made me learn and judge the front but more importantly always back into a spot or where ever we go so there would be zero chances of ever scraping/destroying the front end...lol

-Nigel
oops (02-25-19)
Old 02-25-19, 09:21 AM
oops
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mps2220
Hello! What year is your NX? Is this the problem you're having with your lock actuators?

If the youtube link doesnt work here, the video name is "Lexus Door Lock Actuator AGAIN!!!"

Last edited by oops; 02-25-19 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-25-19, 09:42 AM
oops
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mps2220
Originally Posted by nigel821
When we took my wife's NX in for the last "free" service I asked for an IS. They didn't have any to loan so they gave us a brand new ES. I much prefer that over the NX in all honestly. There was tons of leg room for me being 6'2". The ride seemed a lot smoother than the NX and overall I just really enjoyed a 4 door car. I felt the build quality was better on it as well. I've always enjoyed 4 door cars so perhaps I'm partial to that. I love our w211 e350. I will say I much prefer the touch pad interface over the little movable joystick pad that are on some Lexus models. Our NX has the touch pad and honestly it's not bad to me at all. It's only an issue when I am trying to move something or get to something and I'm on a bumpy road and my finger is moving erratically around making it do the same on the screen.

Tough call though. If it was me I'd keep the ES. If you need a small SUV then that would make sense. An easy way to not scrape the front bumper is knowing your approach angle and backing into parking spots. All of my cars have been lowered to some extent and I learned the hard way when I had a carbon fiber front lip on my STi get destroyed because I pulled too forward at a parking spot. It was the best $500 mistake I made but made me learn and judge the front but more importantly always back into a spot or where ever we go so there would be zero chances of ever scraping/destroying the front end...lol

-Nigel
Hi Nigel, thank you! Very helpful share. I'm 5'2 so it's very hard for me to gauge the front of my car... I've also scraped the FRONT RIGHT LOWER corner of the bumper too from pulling into a street parking... it was a long enough spot so I angled right and went in head first. It wasnt a parking lot spot where I can back up. Hope I'm making sense. I've also reached a point where I'll be very conservative when I pull into a parking spot, and then once I get out of the car I realized most of the rear end of my vehicle is still out of the parking spot so I'd get in and pull in further again... slightly annoying.

Last edited by oops; 02-25-19 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-25-19, 09:55 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

I have the parking assist option and it’s very helpful.

Quick Reply: 2019 NX do you love it?