NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Yokohama Geolanders + snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19, 08:53 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Yokohama Geolanders + snow

These tires suck in the snow. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

Even wirh AWD locked I get very little traction when turning.

We’ve been experiencing a good amount of snow here in Minneapolis and I’m not impressed with these tires. I’m kicking myself for not paying attention and negotiating a different set during the sale.

Why can’t manufacturers spec a decent tire? The last three vehicles I bought had terrible OEM tires.
Old 02-07-19, 12:03 PM
tincan13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[b=left]Yokohama Geolanders [/b]are "all season" tires meaning they are neither a good summer tire nor a good winter tire. As the old saying goes "Jack of all trades - Master of none." Watch this on YouTube for an explanation.

Old 02-07-19, 12:19 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Yeah I get it but I’ve had much better all seasons. Conti DWS and Michelin Defender LTX come to mind.

There are no redeeming qualities to the Geolander IMO.
Old 02-07-19, 06:13 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

I always search Tirerack prior deciding on tires. This is great resource!
About Yoko' - when I was closing on NX deal I noticed that some vehicles had Yoko-s and other Michelin-s. The one I selected had Yoko-s, but I insisted that dealer swapped Yoko-s for Michelin-s. Got lucky, I guess. Although, any all season tire is not the best for snow, anyway. Nothing beats winter tires, especially in MN, where you are.
Old 02-08-19, 12:39 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

From TireRack:

Michelin Premier LTX (Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season)
  • What We Liked: Good road manners and excellent wet weather performance along with good winter traction
  • What We'd Improve: Not much improvement needed here
  • Conclusion: This tire raises the expectation of what a Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire can do in wet and winter's worst weather
Yokohama Geolandar G055 (Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season)
  • What We Liked: Capable dry handling
  • What We'd Improve: Make a big improvement in wet and winter traction, and soften the ride a little
  • Conclusion: An adequate tire for drivers who do not place any emphasis on wet or snow traction
Old 02-08-19, 05:01 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Ok, sorry, I have to toss my 2 cents in. I have no experience of how Geolanders will do on snow. I am installing formal winter tires tomorrow, we are under week lasting snow storm starting today.
But. I had Yokohama 580 on my Highlander Hybrid, now replaced with YK740. I had no issues climbing up 12% grade in several inch snow/iced road with them.
Sorry, I am simply huge Yokohama fan. Don't really want them left undefended.
Old 02-08-19, 11:01 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm rocking P-Zeros in the winter weather, I don't want to hear it. haa
These things get so hard that I'll get a flat spot when parked that will not go away for a few miles because the compound is so hard when cold.
Old 02-11-19, 06:00 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

I dropped off my NX with Michelin tires for service this morning and got a loaner NX with Yokohama Geolandars. The loaner only has 5K miles on odometer, which is a lot less vs my car. I can testify that Yoko-s are quite a bit launder compare to Michelins. They are not stiffer, so the ride is OK, but launder for sure.
Old 02-12-19, 10:17 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have on my '18 F Sport, the Yokohama Geolandar G91 tires and they are LOUD!
I posted this once before on another thread. I'm not happy with these tires.
Old 02-12-19, 12:57 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
I dropped off my NX with Michelin tires for service this morning and got a loaner NX with Yokohama Geolandars. The loaner only has 5K miles on odometer, which is a lot less vs my car. I can testify that Yoko-s are quite a bit launder compare to Michelins. They are not stiffer, so the ride is OK, but launder for sure.

Launder... louder??
Old 02-12-19, 02:30 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Had these Geo’s as well.
I agree that they suck.
Really suck. Lol
From tire noise to cup wear.
When Mich Defender LTX went on sale, i burned the Geo’s. 😂
Old 02-12-19, 07:55 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skyshadow
Launder... louder??
Ok. You got me on this one. Consider that English is my second language, and I learned it when I was close to my middle age, it is not terrible to make a mistake here and there. 😊 I hope you forgive me for that deficiency. BTW, how many other languages, besides English do you speak, write and read?

Now an update about Yokohama Geolanders – the loaner NX that I drive has these tires. It is lousy weather in Chicago today but the tires performed in the snow like a dream!

Old 02-12-19, 08:05 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
Ok. You got me on this one. Consider that English is my second language, and I learned it when I was close to my middle age, it is not terrible to make a mistake here and there. 😊 I hope you forgive me for that deficiency. BTW, how many other languages, besides English do you speak, write and read?

Now an update about Yokohama Geolanders – the loaner NX that I drive has these tires. It is lousy weather in Chicago today but the tires performed in the snow like a dream!

You are forgiven....but I disagree on the snow performance. We've had a ton of snow here in Minneapolis and these tires suck. Lots of spinning and they are especially bad when turning.
Old 02-12-19, 08:09 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ross7777
You are forgiven....but I disagree on the snow performance. We've had a ton of snow here in Minneapolis and these tires suck. Lots of spinning and they are especially bad when turning.
I do not say these tires great for snow. All I said is that my experience with these today was really good. Perhaps it is because my NX has almost 33K on odometer and the loaner is about 5K. Obviously, tires are like new on loaner.
Old 02-12-19, 08:23 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

I only have 1,200 miles on mine..... I don't expect them to perform great on snow but they are some of the worst all-seasons I've had as far as snow performance is concerned.

Quick Reply: Yokohama Geolanders + snow