(DRL)Day Time Running Lights Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-19, 12:26 PM
nxlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (DRL)Day Time Running Lights Upgrade

Greetings,

I have the base model 2019 Lexus NX 200t and I really want to upgrade my day time running lights. The fact that Lexus did this blows my mind but whatever.

I've read a few posts on here with people that upgraded their DRL but there's not a lot of information about it. I reached out to two Lexus dealers and both service departments had no idea if it was possible or not. Yet, I found two posts on this forum where members said they did it.

Does anyone have more information on how to upgrade the DRL? When I reached out to Lexus Service, they had 3 different part numbers. Which one do I order? Do I need a different connector? Please elaborate.

Thanks,
Thanks,
Old 02-05-19, 03:48 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I will admit, the base model DRL strips are ugggly and cheap looking. I BELIEVE there are two other types of strips. The premium and lux run a LED strip with LED blinker running the horizontal length of the strip. And the F-Sport does the same but the LEDs for the blinker actually run up the vertical of the chevron instead of just horizontal. I bet that's a semi simple change out. Might have to do some wire stripping, soldering and etc though.
Old 02-05-19, 03:50 PM
nxlex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshadow
I will admit, the base model DRL strips are ugggly and cheap looking. I BELIEVE there are two other types of strips. The premium and lux run a LED strip with LED blinker running the horizontal length of the strip. And the F-Sport does the same but the LEDs for the blinker actually run up the vertical of the chevron instead of just horizontal. I bet that's a semi simple change out. Might have to do some wire stripping, soldering and etc though.
if it requires wire stripping and soldering it’s not worth it. I thought it was a simple install.
Old 02-05-19, 03:51 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Well one has LED integrated PCBs and the other using old school light bulbs. So for sure the connectors will be different.
Old 02-05-19, 08:19 PM
DaJoDJ
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What?? I thought the "swoosh" check mark LED DRL was standard on all trim levels... Can someone please explain...?
Old 02-05-19, 11:35 PM
1Putt
Advanced

The "swoosh" check mark LED DRL are standard on all models, but there is a base one and 2 others. If you look at them closely they are different. The base model is LED except for the turn signal which uses a regular bulb, which you could change to a LED bulb if you want
Old 02-06-19, 12:37 AM
DaJoDJ
Driver

Originally Posted by 1Putt
The "swoosh" check mark LED DRL are standard on all models, but there is a base one and 2 others. If you look at them closely they are different. The base model is LED except for the turn signal which uses a regular bulb, which you could change to a LED bulb if you want
Ohh I see, so the turn signal is inside the headlight...?
Old 02-07-19, 04:44 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Here you go.. Titles under the photos. I took them with the blinker on to try and help show the difference between F-Sport and Premium

Base

Premium/Luxury

F-Sport
Old 02-07-19, 05:42 PM
Newnx
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I still can't tell the difference between the F sport and non base one. In U.S. they look alike. Here is non F sport in U.S.
Old 02-07-19, 09:30 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

It's super subtle. The yellow LEDs for the blinker on an F-Sport actually go up the vertical of the swoosh instead of the lower part only. Literally maybe 2 more LEDs.
Old 02-07-19, 09:53 PM
DaJoDJ
Driver

Here you go.. Titles under the photos. I took them with the blinker on to try and help show the difference between F-Sport and Premium

Base

Premium/Luxury

F-Sport
Wow, thank you for that! I really do appreciate the photos.

I did not know that the base model did that... I am in Canada and I have an MY2018 NX300 F Sport 3 and mine looks like it blinks like the 2nd picture, my swoosh blinker doesn't light up the whole length, just the lower portion...
Old 02-08-19, 01:57 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

All the NX in canada including the standard package has the lights in the second and third picture, we don’t get the difference base model ones no matter what trim level you choose
Old 02-08-19, 07:07 PM
Newnx
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's super subtle. The yellow LEDs for the blinker on an F-Sport actually go up the vertical of the swoosh instead of the lower part only. Literally maybe 2 more LEDs.
I think F sport U.S model doesn't even has 2 more LEDs. It only runs horizontal. Just out of curiosity, do you have more clear picture which can show the difference.
F sport in U.S.

Last edited by Newnx; 02-09-19 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-08-19, 10:54 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Yeah, I'll get one in the morning.
Old 02-09-19, 12:26 AM
DaJoDJ
Driver

Originally Posted by Newnx
I think F sport U.S model doesn't even has 2 more LEDs. It only run horizontal. Just out of curiosity, do you have more clear picture which can shows the difference.
F sport in U.S.
Yeah, this is how mine looks like too...

Quick Reply: (DRL)Day Time Running Lights Upgrade