Old 01-27-19, 07:12 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts
Default Mysterious Maintenance Required soon

Ok, this starts getting on my nerve.
I asked this before.
There was another thread on same issue.
Out of blue, Maintenance Required soon message pops at start up. With no explanation.
better off, I scrolled through entire system yesterday, it shows zero messages stored anywhere.
First time this happened, I emailed Lexus and they told me they have no idea.
Fine, I killed that message by resetting oil minder.
Yet, in my stupidity, I changed oil about 2500 miles back and DID NOT put O'Reilley sticker on the windshield, with mileage hand written on it AND entered oil change range into maintenance log on the car system - with good faith that it will tell me when oil change is coming.
Guess what - I am back to point zero with unknown reason maintenance minder AND my oil change entry GONE. I checked. It's self erased. Though not so long ago, while I was scrolling through menus, it did say "oil life 6000 miles".
This is beyond annoying. Please, spare me comments that it's "entry level luxury car", so what else to expect. It's luxury car and it's Lexus. Things like this should never happen.
Vehicle has 33000 miles, so spark plugs change is not due any time soon. Neither is 35 000 miles maintenance. Brake fluid flush was done mid December last year, so it's about a month old. There are no other scheduled mileage wise maintenance items for this mileage.
The only reason I am upset is that I was fool enough to trust electronics in this car and didn't sticker mileage, as I always do on any other car. BTW, wife's 2011 RX has none of this issue. It diligently tells when oil is due and is spot on mileage driven on oil.
I checked oil, it's crystal clear. I'll reset oil minder again, but from that on, I have to pretty much guesstimate when to change it next.
Thank you, Lexus...

That said, has anyone FINALLY figured how to fix this electronic stupidity?
Old 01-27-19, 08:05 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

My brother also has an NX.
We found out there are 2 maintenance required reminders.
1 for oil changes
1 for service maintenance.
---- Oil changes - maintenance light will trip 1st with 500 miles left on the oil life.
The menu to reset this is is on the multi display under "MAINTENANCE SYSTEM"

---- Service maintenance - will trip the light every 5k miles for tire rotations, etc. after each reset.
To reset this, you have to go under "SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE"

The remaining oil maintenance mileage is calculated based on fuel consumption, engine coolant temperature and vehicle speed.
So not on actual mileage itself.
So after reset of the oil, give the ecu time to calculate the mileage of oil life just by driving it for a couple of days.

^^^
Hope this makes sense.
Old 01-27-19, 08:11 AM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I probably could figure it out if I spent the time, but to complicated for a quick read. Basically I just reset trip2 on the odometer each time I change oil and go from there. Do the dealerships reset all these maintenance logs on the computer when brought in for service, or just send a follow up with an e-mail after 6 months?
Old 01-27-19, 10:30 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

As Nad 1370 said, there are two maintenance tasks with one reminder light. Every 5000 miles, I do whichever maintenance inspection is due and reset it. I also change the oil and filter and reset it. All is good until I get close to the next 5K maintenance interval, then start getting the reminder light.
Old 01-27-19, 02:26 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Well, it's neither. It simply said: Maintenance Required Soon. That's it. Does not say a word about Scheduled or System.
it's literally GO FIGURE message.
One thing I like about Honda is - every time minder pops message, it comes with a number. Then, you look at Honda table and know, what exactly is supposed to be done.
I went through all possible screens again. Nothing. No messages in message center, none in settings.
I finally reset Scheduled maintenance reminder and left oil life one on. I also reset - again - oil life in Vehicle Settings to 6000 miles. Shut it down, turned it back on - that setting is still there. What happened to one I did before - no idea.
Whatever. It's not such a big deal, just annoying. Eventually, those minders become obnoxious, as you can't see display, until you reset it. Besides, I don't really want to miss something...
Old 01-27-19, 03:10 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Oil reset maintenance
-- Settings
-- Maintenance system
-- Do you want to initialize? -- Yes or No

Scheduled Maintenance reset
-- Settings
-- Scheduled Maintenance
-- Reset data? -- Yes or No

"Maintenance required soon" is the ONLY message shown for both system when service is due.
The following users liked this post:
ukrkoz (01-27-19)
Old 01-27-19, 05:05 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Of course. Problem is, all maintenance was done, minder reset - and it still asks for maintenance.
Old 01-27-19, 08:00 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

odd, never get light unless due for oil change. maybe something is wrong...or user error?
Old 01-28-19, 10:25 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Well, user error is when one does something. It simply appeared one morning on the central display. Not the first time, actually.
I went into displays and reset Scheduled Maintenance minder.
message is no more.
What was scheduled - everyone's guess.
I think, this is geared towards tripping owners into visit to dealer. As you ALL had this trumpeted into your ears - if you do not do all maintenance items warranty will become void. So "Omg, what do I do, I need maintenance done" simply pushes lay minds into dealer hands and then you know what comes next.... bread and butter, wind in sales.
Old 01-28-19, 05:20 PM
tincan13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are instructions to reset the message:
How to Reset Maintenance Required Light on Lexus IS 200t:
  1. Scroll down and highlight VEHICLE SETTINGS and then press Middle button to select it.
  2. Select “Scheduled Maintenance” or “Oil Maintenance
  3. When a confirmation dialog appears, select “YES” and then press Middle button to confirm.