NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Transmission/transaxle backlash?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-19, 11:07 PM
JBruton
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission/transaxle backlash?

Hey, just curious if anyone else has problems with this. It could be just because I知 not used to the car yet.
When accelerating from a stop, or from coasting slowly through a parking lot, over speed bumps etc, it almost seems like I feel a mild catch or jolt from the transmission or the torque converter lock engaging. I知 not a professional so I may not know exactly if I知 correct with my theory. Just wondering if this is normal? This is my first Lexus that I got preowned and since it痴 still under warranty I want to get it addressed. I had the technicians at Sewell Lexus in Dallas look over it and they said everything is within specs and couldn稚 find any problems. But I知 beginning to doubt their credibility after calling to get an update and the service advisor told me that the tech had mentioned all 8 speed automatic transmissions feels clunky.. seems odd considering I知 pretty sure it was a 6 speed when I dropped it off. Lol
Old 01-23-19, 10:48 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Maybe they added 2 speeds just because you were such a nice guy?
You need to do better job describing what exactly is that you feel.
Especially, with bumps involved.
To me, jolt is forward jerk. Jolt may mean something quite different in your terminology. I know of clunks going over speed bumps, not jolts.
Old 01-23-19, 10:59 AM
JBruton
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Maybe they added 2 speeds just because you were such a nice guy?
You need to do better job describing what exactly is that you feel.
Especially, with bumps involved.
To me, jolt is forward jerk. Jolt may mean something quite different in your terminology. I know of clunks going over speed bumps, not jolts.

Sorry for the the ambiguity. It feels like a jolt.
If im coasting slowly and I push on the gas quickly rather than easing into it, it feels like it痴 in neutral and the gear catches maybe a second later. Almost like there is a lag or play in the drive train. Doesn稚 feel like the transmission is slipping. The jolt is mild but it痴 noticeable.
Old 01-23-19, 09:33 PM
JBruton
Driver School Candidate

Update, I tried to replicate it after work and later in the day with no success. I think it may be happening only when it hasn稚 completely warmed up? My commute to work is 10-15 minutes. After I get to work I知 not sure that I致e ever really noticed it.
Old 01-24-19, 10:38 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Ahh, thank you for clarification. So jolt is forward jerk.
My opinion is, Toyota automatic transmission takes some time to warm up indeed. It was really noticeable on our 99 RX300, it simply won't go into OD unless warm. I saw several owners referring to something similar.
I think, minor - 1 sec is minor, right? - lag is nothing to worry about. If you want instant pick up, that's manual transmission. Or, better off, electric.