NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Gas Mileage-Actual vs. Advertised

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-19, 01:49 PM
iluvhistry
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Mileage-Actual vs. Advertised

Greetings and a question from a new forum member and first-time Lexus owner ('18 NX300 AWD with the premium package purchased this past October). My question is in regards to the real world gas mileage I'm getting vs. what I had expected to get based on the numbers advertised. I read through the Real World Fuel Economy thread, and it sure seems that my numbers are very low (19-23 mpg on avg) compared to the overwhelming majority of members who have posted in that thread, and they're nowhere near the advertised figures of 22/28. I'm just wondering if I am doing something wrong or if my vehicle may have an issue that needs to be looked at.

First, I drive entirely in ECO mode to maximize fuel economy even though I much prefer the driving characteristics of both the Normal and Sport modes. My daily commute is roughly 30 miles round trip and is 75% highway travel. I do occasionally spend some time on the highway traveling for my job (+/-150 mi. a few times/mo.), and I make good use of my cruise control setting it within 5-7 mph of the posted speed limit. My tire pressure is within recommended limits, and I don't have any passengers with me the majority of the time. I use auto climate control the majority of the time and use reasonable settings. As far as gasoline, I have used premium (which is 92 or 93, depending on the brand) every single fill-up except on two occasions when I experimented by using regular (87). Interestingly it seemed that I achieved better fuel economy using regular than when I use premium (but only by 1 or 2 mpg). However, those were unscientific experiments to be sure, and I will continue to follow the manufacturer's fuel grade requirement in order to ensure optimum vehicle performance and longevity.

As mentioned above, my normal commute of 30 miles or so is almost entirely via the interstate with very little traffic slowdowns and I'm averaging about 20 mpg. I've taken a few road trips where I drove exclusively on interstates for one or two full tanks of gas and got as much as 24-25 mpg. I guess I expected that to be the more common mpg range given my normal driving habits, but unfortunately the 20 mpg figure is far more common. In fact, I've only achieved the higher numbers two or three times total.

Having driven a number of different vehicle styles over the course of 35+ years (yeah, I'm pretty old), I recognize that fuel economy is influenced by a number of factors. But I'm a tad disappointed that my 2013 Honda Accord with 6-cyl. engine consistently achieved 29-38 mpg whereas my new 4-cyl. turbo Lexus is getting numbers closer to an 8-cyl 4WD Jeep I used to own. When you combine that with the smaller gas tank, I'm only getting 300-310 mi. or so on every tank. And as for the smaller tank, I understood it to be about 15.9 gallons, but the most I've ever been able to put in, even with a nearly empty tank, was 12.8 gallons or so. I'm going to assume that there's more in reserve than what the onboard fuel monitor is showing me, though I'm a bit nervous about testing out how many miles I can drive after getting the "Low Fuel -0- miles" message.

Sorry for the long-winded post and I appreciate any suggestions you folks might have.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-19, 02:28 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I've had my 2019 F-Sport AWD for about a month. 876 miles on the odometer. So far I'm averaging about 20-21 with 75% highway. My commute is about 18 miles. I'm definitely a little underwhelmed with the mpg. I'll wait to reserve judgement until a get a few more miles on it. I'm expecting to get closer to 24 mpg.
Old 01-20-19, 05:07 PM
acheuk
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last summer during my trip to Oregon coast I was averaging 30-35 mpg with 4 passengers, a full load in the trunk, and the AC was on all the time.

I think mpg varies quite a bit by ambient temperature, altitude, load, speed and quality of gas.

Last edited by acheuk; 01-20-19 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-20-19, 05:10 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

my 2016 FSport AWD gets 16 mpg when 100% city.
All highway to las vegas, I can get no more than 24mpg. Sometimes a little less if over 80mph with air on.
Current average is 20mpg.

always driver in normal mode with a few exceptions in sport mode, ie entering freeway or climbing a hill.

The 2017 FSport RX350 AWD gets around the same if lucky.
Old 01-20-19, 06:02 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kent2174
my 2016 FSport AWD gets 16 mpg when 100% city.
All highway to las vegas, I can get no more than 24mpg. Sometimes a little less if over 80mph with air on.
Current average is 20mpg.

always driver in normal mode with a few exceptions in sport mode, ie entering freeway or climbing a hill.

The 2017 FSport RX350 AWD gets around the same if lucky.
All highway no better than 24mpg? That sucks. I have noticed that 80mph or above really reduces the mpg. Too much wind resistance.
Old 01-20-19, 06:05 PM
iluvhistry
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like my gas mileage numbers are not all that out of whack after all.
Old 01-20-19, 06:44 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

My 2017 NX200T get consistently 22-24MPG on daily drive with total about 50-60 miles/day. This is basically all suburban driving with traffic lights, etc, but not stop-go type. In my case I see MPG drops about 2 points in Winter, when temperature drops.
On the highway, I found, that keeping speed around 70 m/h gives me about 30MPG. As soon as I push it to over 75 and close to 80 m/h, MPG drops down to about 25-26.
My observations about what has an influence on MPG:
- Season, see above.
- Tire pressure – keep it about 2 psi above recommended. I keep it at 34, checked when car has not been driven for few hours.
- Gas type. 93 gives the best MPG. This topic has been on for too long, so many folks have their own opinion. I only state what I observed.
- Careful with turbo – push it hard and it will suck up the gas like you have hole in the gas tank. I do not drive like a grandma (no offence to grandparents, I am the one as well…), but I do watch, at times, Eco-meter. I drive in Eco mode as I found that Eco and Normal make no difference. When I want get wild (oh yea…, Lexus NX), I switch to Sport and take off. Then, I see average MPG drops right away. Sport mode is great to drive in but you pay for it.
- Lastly, MPG depends on how well your car engine is broken in. I found that my NX started getting more power and, consequently better MPG when car got to close to 5000 miles on it.
Old 01-20-19, 06:49 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lex2000TL
My 2017 NX200T get consistently 22-24MPG on daily drive with total about 50-60 miles/day. This is basically all suburban driving with traffic lights, etc, but not stop-go type. In my case I see MPG drops about 2 points in Winter, when temperature drops.
On the highway, I found, that keeping speed around 70 m/h gives me about 30MPG. As soon as I push it to over 75 and close to 80 m/h, MPG drops down to about 25-26.
My observations about what has an influence on MPG:
- Season, see above.
- Tire pressure – keep it about 2 psi above recommended. I keep it at 34, checked when car has not been driven for few hours.
- Gas type. 93 gives the best MPG. This topic has been on for too long, so many folks have their own opinion. I only state what I observed.
- Careful with turbo – push it hard and it will suck up the gas like you have hole in the gas tank. I do not drive like a grandma (no offence to grandparents, I am the one as well…), but I do watch, at times, Eco-meter. I drive in Eco mode as I found that Eco and Normal make no difference. When I want get wild (oh yea…, Lexus NX), I switch to Sport and take off. Then, I see average MPG drops right away. Sport mode is great to drive in but you pay for it.
- Lastly, MPG depends on how well your car engine is broken in. I found that my NX started getting more power and, consequently better MPG when car got to close to 5000 miles on it.
Good info. Thanks. I'm not going to worry about it too much until I get more miles on it.
Old 01-20-19, 08:07 PM
iluvhistry
Driver School Candidate

I have been very surprised that 68-72 mph on the highway doesn’t net a better overall mpg. I recognize that some stop-and-go city driving will lead to lower results, but I’ve fueled up from empty and driven an entire tank on the hwy and still had 22-23 mpg.
Old 01-20-19, 08:44 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

There’s a lot of info in this gas mileage thread. It’s the top “sticky” thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...my-thread.html
Old 01-21-19, 09:46 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I'll toss my dos centavos in.
At some point, I had solid 29.8 mpg. That's after 8 yrs driving hybrids, develops good habits.
Then, I decided to sell the car and simply drove it like hell. I changed display, not to get upset with dropping mpg.
Then, it set for few weeks, while for sale.
Then, life changed, NX is back to regular commuting. It's warm January+winter gas+2WD car.
Week ago, after several commute weeks with back to good driving habits, I returned back to average mpg display.
TWENTY NINE miles to gallon, rock solid.
I drive in ECO only when I am in slow mo traffic interstate. I do not use Sport, find it too jerky and harsh on transmission.
My commute is 34 miles one way, 20% either very hilly rural rods or Seattle suburbia. The rest is HWY, traffic varies. I am pretty sure I'll be back to closing on 30mpg, like I had before, summer time.
My gut tells me, it's FWD that makes lots of difference. Well, plus ex hybrid owner hypermiling habits.
Old 06-05-19, 03:12 PM
iluvhistry
Driver School Candidate

Forgive me for bumping an old thread that I started several months ago, but I wanted to give a quick update and to thank those who shared their knowledge and experience with this Lexus newbie.

In January I expressed my disappointment with the real-world gas mileage I was getting from my ‘18 NX300 in the first 90 days of ownership. A couple of you mentioned that the engine likely needed a little breaking in before seeing the advertised mpg numbers, and boy were you right. The vehicle now has a little over 17k miles on the odometer and gas mileage has improved significantly. I am now getting 27-29 mpg on the highway and 23-24 in city driving. I fueled up earlier today and did some highway driving (60 mi. or so) and actually hit 31 mpg with the A/C on. I’m sure that number will get a bit lower as I burn through this tank, but I’m still pumped about breaking through the 30 mpg ceiling.

And I’ve also learned that Sport mode around town and Eco mode on the highway gives a more pleasurable ride and has very little if any negative impact on gas mileage.

For anyone experiencing frustration with fuel consumption in their new NX, be patient. There’s a good chance that it will get better after the initial break-in period.
Old 06-05-19, 04:18 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Same experience here. 2019 AWD F Sport with 4,600 miles and I’m currently at 25mpg.
Old 06-05-19, 08:40 PM
brook41
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 2016 Fwd I get 29.1 average At 67k , vehicle has to break in . Give it time and the Mpg will creep up, I use mainly mid grade (89) fuel and run in Eco mode.
Old 06-07-19, 08:10 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts

Wife's 18' gets maybe 24mpg. It's horrible. Our friend has an 18' nx hybrid and when I drove hers I saw her average mpg was around 28-29. Looking back we should have gotten the hybrid. If I knew the NX was going to get this crappy gas mileage we would have been better off with a macan gts, at least it would be way more thrilling to drive..lol

-Nigel

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage-Actual vs. Advertised