NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX takes forever to warm up

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-19, 09:09 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default NX takes forever to warm up

Does anyone who live in cold climates experienced their NX taking forever to warm up inside? i have it set on “HI” with heated seats and steering wheel on also. i feel like the fans aren’t that strong and are barely blowing any air out the vents. i’ve brought it back to the lexus dealer and they said it was perfectly normal. i remote start the car for 10 minutes and it takes almost 30 minutes to get the car warm inside but my daily commute is only about 10 minutes so the car is basically cold inside all the time
Old 01-18-19, 05:58 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

2019 NX300. 8 degrees this morning. I have it set to 70 Auto with heated seats set to high and it gets toasty quickly. Seems like 10 minutes or less.

I don’t bother with remote start because I hate that it shuts off when I open the door.
Old 01-18-19, 06:27 AM
GeeMC
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Winnipeg and it was -34 today. I do find that the car takes a while to warm up but it also warms up alot faster for me while i'm driving it. I have a remote start but barely ever use for the same reason that it shuts off when I open the door. It for sure does not warm up as fast as some of my previous cars but its not freezing. I also find that having it on full power with it set on front windshield and feet gets it warmer at a faster rate.
Old 01-18-19, 07:12 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Have you tried the Auto setting? If you have it on full fan during initial startup it will just be blowing cold air around. Auto adjusts the fan when warm air is available.

Are you both driving the NX200? Is it possible they made changes in the 2018 refresh?
Old 01-18-19, 07:30 AM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Thanks for all the reply’s, I have a 2015 NX200t. I haven’t tried the auto setting because it usually turns on the A/C, it’s always on HI in manual mode with the windshield and feet mode because any other mode would cause my windows to fog up. I also dislike how the starter turns off when opening the doors but it helps abit with warming up the inside. it’s about -16°C where i live and my garage is about 3°C inside. Would coolant levels affect the heat? i’ve checked the levels and it’s a bit lower than full but not near low yet. Not sure if that has to do with anything
Old 01-18-19, 07:37 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Danny200t
Thanks for all the reply’s, I have a 2015 NX200t. I haven’t tried the auto setting because it usually turns on the A/C, it’s always on HI in manual mode with the windshield and feet mode because any other mode would cause my windows to fog up. I also dislike how the starter turns off when opening the doors but it helps abit with warming up the inside. it’s about -16°C where i live and my garage is about 3°C inside. Would coolant levels affect the heat? i’ve checked the levels and it’s a bit lower than full but not near low yet. Not sure if that has to do with anything
Interesting. Maybe set it to Auto at 21C and see what happens. It seems to work fine for me. HI in manual mode will cause it to blow freezing cold air around the inside. Auto will force it to wait until warm air is available. I haven’t had an issue with windows fogging up yet.

I usually let it warm up for 2-3 minutes and then start driving. It almost gets uncomfortably warm when combined with the heated seats.
Old 01-18-19, 08:04 AM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ross7777

Interesting. Maybe set it to Auto at 21C and see what happens. It seems to work fine for me. HI in manual mode will cause it to blow freezing cold air around the inside. Auto will force it to wait until warm air is available. I haven’t had an issue with windows fogging up yet.

I usually let it warm up for 2-3 minutes and then start driving. It almost gets uncomfortably warm when combined with the heated seats.
Thanks, i’ll give that a try. I got an RC350 as a loaner car a few weeks ago while my car was in for service and i warmed that car up for 10 minutes and it was very warm inside. Quick question, if you have the mode on dashboard vents and feet, do you feel any air coming out of the vents? i only feel air when i have my hands close to it and it is no where strong enough to blow warm air around the cabin. I’ve replaced the cabin filter so i’m pretty sure there’s nothing clogging the airflow
Old 01-18-19, 08:31 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

There is AC button, you know. Just turn AC off. Set blower to NOT windshield, or you can't turn AC off, turn Auto on and let it do its job.
Also, if you really get cold, place piece of cardboard in front of radiator. NO, CAR WILL NOT OVERHEAT. Just don't forget to take it out when it gets warm.
Old 01-18-19, 08:38 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

There is also a setting called S-Flow that will give priority to the front seats and regulate the rear air flow.

Its under the climate settings in the menu.
Old 01-18-19, 11:30 AM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

So i think i might’ve found the problem, it might be the Fram Fresh Breeze cabin air filter i put in a couple months ago. The filter is still clean but i shined a flashlight and barely any light went through so i went for a drive without the cabin air filter and the car got very warm in only 5 minutes. I think i’ll go buy a OEM lexus filter and see what happens. Would it be fine running it without a filter for now?
Old 01-18-19, 12:19 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

I’d leave it in. Could you have installed it the wrong way?
Old 01-18-19, 03:49 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Cabin air filter stopped air flow that much? I have question then. If the air coming out the vents is taking sweet time to get warm, what did the temp gauge show?
But anyhow. No harm will be to drive without cabin filter for few days. My RAM does not even have one and doesn't really care about it. You'll smell every stinker in front of you worse, but that's about it.
Old 01-18-19, 04:09 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

If the engine thermostat opens to soon it will longer for the car to warm up.
Old 01-18-19, 04:58 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Cabin air filter stopped air flow that much? I have question then. If the air coming out the vents is taking sweet time to get warm, what did the temp gauge show?
But anyhow. No harm will be to drive without cabin filter for few days. My RAM does not even have one and doesn't really care about it. You'll smell every stinker in front of you worse, but that's about it.
Yes, the fan has 7 speed settings and the air with the filter on 7 was equal to the air coming out on the lowest 1 setting without the filter. so i guess it wasn’t the car that wasn’t putting blowing out heat, it was the filter blocking it.
Old 01-18-19, 08:10 PM
Mjs61084
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem with the windows fogging up in auto mode. Also, my 2017 vibrates like crazy when the AC is on during cold weather in auto mode, so auto mode is out for me during the winter.

What I do is push the auto button and then use the selector to move it to floor and windshield. Hit the AC button to turn the AC off. I don’t touch it all winter after that and the fan motor auto regulates up and down to get the cabin to the set temperature. The windows don’t fog up since I have it set to feet and windshield and it doesn’t vibrate AS bad since I have the AC off. Seems to warm up within 5 minutes or so going this route.

Quick Reply: NX takes forever to warm up