NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus Navigation vs. Dynamic Navigation confusing

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-19, 10:49 PM
cwonglex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Navigation vs. Dynamic Navigation confusing

Hi! The Lexus website is super confusing on this, and even my dealer wasn't sure about his answer on this... hoping someone here can help clarify! I just got a 2019 Lexus NX with the Navigation Package. To my understanding, it comes with "3 year trial of Dynamic Navigation".
The Lexus website says that "Dynamic Navigation" is a cloud-based map that is constantly up-to-date due to its nature of being pulled from the cloud when you use it.

My question: If I choose not to pay for the subscription after my 3-year trial is up, does that mean I will be shut out of the navigation cloud and will no longer be able to use the onboard map and GPS navigation? Or are my latest navigation maps stored offline on the car and I can still use them but just not update them past the 3-year trial?

Side-question - anybody know the cost of a Dynamic Navigation subscription? It doesn't show here: https://www.lexus.com/enform/availability-pricing
Old 01-10-19, 07:22 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm going to copy and paste my response on the 2019 ES forum. If you don't update, you will still have navigation. It's built into the car.

"To clear up a little here, Dynamic Navigation isn't an "update" per say. Not like in the traditional sense anyways. As you drive along or set destinations, any additional/new roads that aren't in your current navigation software are "overlaid" (my wording for lack of a technical term) onto your current map. This is done using the car's DCM (built in communication module) and any new roads/routes are downloaded from the cloud. The service is free for 3 years. You aren't required to go to a dealership once a year for this to work. After the 3 years are up, if you do not renew this service, the car's navigation system reverts back to how it was originally. The cloud updates aren't written to the navigation system permanently. I believe you basically have something like a 50 mile radius around the car that the Dynamic Nav fills in as you drive.

Now after the 3 years are up, if you decide to renew this service, you will get a traditional nav update as well as an additional 2 years of Dynamic Nav. I don't believe prices are set yet. I've heard they'll be around $300 but that could change. But remember that for $300 you get a traditional "hardcoded" nav update plus 2 additional years of this Dynamic Nav cloud service.

Hope this clears things up a little."
The following 2 users liked this post by offroad200:
bob67 (01-10-19), cwonglex (01-10-19)
Old 01-10-19, 12:45 PM
cwonglex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks offroa200, super helpful! Just to clarify - so if I choose to not subscribe after the trial, the onboard map will be 3 years old from when I bought the car? Or does 3 years trial Dynamic Navigation include free onboard nav map updates during those 3 years? Thanks again for your help!
Old 01-10-19, 07:56 PM
MKenM
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

The overlay as described above is temporary. And yes the map will be the original one as loaded into the vehicle from the factory which is usually about a year older than the vehicle. Think about it how many new roads are constructed every year? IMHO just another gimmick to have you spend $$$ needlessly. An update every 3 years or so might be recommended if you rely heavily on your navigation system. I would rather use Waze or Google Maps as they are free and truly cloud based.
The following users liked this post:
CraigerRet (09-15-19)