NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX vs UX or Other?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 09:17 AM
GreyGooseNX
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default NX vs UX or Other?

I currently own a 2011 Lexus IS F Sport. I love the car. It has barely over 60k miles. I bought it brand new. However I tend to drive my older parents around now and they have a hard time getting in and out of my vehicle. So I was thinking to upgrade. They have their Honda CR-V but I HATE driving it. So I am looking at either the NX or the UX. I know the UX is smaller but is it that much smaller? This NX would be my daily driver but I work from home 2 days a week and my office isn't that far away so I have a short commute to compared to others in my area..

I hope to get everyone's opinion on a couple options:
1. Get a new NX
2. Get a used NX
3. Keep my current IS and get used to driving the Honda
4. Get a new UX

If I got a new NX, i would want a F-Sport in UBM 2.0 with circuit red interior, nav, parking assist, power rear door w/kick sensor. and F Sport premium package..

If you have any questions let me know.
Old 01-07-19, 05:21 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Personally, I would just get used to driving the parents CR-V.

We have an NX and sat in a UX this weekend (we were really looking at an ES but always curious). Anyway, the front seats seemed just fine and were roomy enough, but the rear seats were terrible. I had a hard time sliding me legs in between the front seat and rear seat - after adjusting the front seat to my preference (I am 6’8” tall). Really only acceptable for younger children in my opinion.

I really wanted to like the UX, but just too tight in the rear seat for adults. It is clearly the replacement fit the CT.

CORRECTION: I am 5’8” tall. Wow, that makes a huge difference. Sorry about that error.

Last edited by TechNut; 01-08-19 at 07:34 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 06:20 PM
GreyGooseNX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by TechNut
Personally, I would just get used to driving the parents CR-V.

We have an NX and sat in a UX this weekend (we were really looking at an ES but always curious). Anyway, the front seats seemed just fine and were roomy enough, but the rear seats were terrible. I had a hard time sliding me legs in between the front seat and rear seat - after adjusting the front seat to my preference (I am 6’8” tall). Really only acceptable for younger children in my opinion.

I really wanted to like the UX, but just too tight in the rear seat for adults. It is clearly the replacement fit the CT.
If the UX is too small, do you think it's worth upgrading to the NX? I test drove one and I really like it. However, I'm just wondering if the new car anticipation is what I like seeing as though my IS is almost 8 years old with barely 60k miles. I have wanted an SUV though. I'm also looking at either buying a house or having one built soon if that helps anyone's recommendation.
Old 01-07-19, 06:34 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

I think before any of us can answer properly, you need to figure out if you can afford a new car. We don't know your income, savings, spending...

Also, why were you interested in getting an SUV? Would something even bigger be more suitable to why you wanted an SUV (RX or some other brand)?
Old 01-08-19, 06:11 AM
GreyGooseNX
Pit Crew

Typocl,

Yes, I can afford a new vehicle. That is not an issue.

The main reason for wanting an SUV was it would allow my parents to get in and out easier. I liked the size of the NX. I don't want anything bigger than that. Plus I am loyal to the Lexus brand since it has been very good to me compared to past vehicles.
Old 01-08-19, 07:36 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm only 5'8", so my driver's seat is not very far back, but my back seat has plenty of room for two adults to sit comfortably. I'm very happy with my NX. I haven't seen the UX, but I'm sure it's nice. It's only FWD (which might not be a problem in GA), however, and it's only 169 HP (which might be sufficient for its weight) vs. 235 for the NX. One of downsides of the NX for me is its limited cargo space. My 2008 IS had more trunk space. I'm guessing that it would be even more limited in the UX since it's 5" shorter in length than the NX.
Old 01-08-19, 07:52 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by fredw1
I'm only 5'8", so my driver's seat is not very far back, but my back seat has plenty of room for two adults to sit comfortably. I'm very happy with my NX. I haven't seen the UX, but I'm sure it's nice. It's only FWD (which might not be a problem in GA), however, and it's only 169 HP (which might be sufficient for its weight) vs. 235 for the NX. One of downsides of the NX for me is its limited cargo space. My 2008 IS had more trunk space. I'm guessing that it would be even more limited in the UX since it's 5" shorter in length than the NX.
An IS has more trunk space than the NX? I find that hard to believe. After I removed the privacy cover it sure seems like it has plenty of space.
Old 01-08-19, 07:58 AM
GreyGooseNX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ross7777

An IS has more trunk space than the NX? I find that hard to believe. After I removed the privacy cover it sure seems like it has plenty of space.
I have an IS and it has a big trunk but I'm not sure it was more than the NX I test drove. One of the reasons for getting an SUV for me would be the added storage space. Am i wrong in this?
Old 01-08-19, 08:17 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Old 01-08-19, 08:46 AM
GreyGooseNX
Pit Crew

Thanks Ill take a look.
Old 01-08-19, 07:41 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I agree that the size of these small SUVs is great for aging people - as you don’t have to aquat down to get in, or climb up.

Also, I apologize for my earlier mistake when discussing my fit in the UX, but I am 5’8” tall - perhaps a Freudian slip? If I were 6’8” I imagine I would be challenged in many vehicles, both leg room and head room.

The UX seems like a nice vehicle, just expect a very tight rear seat.
Old 01-09-19, 07:25 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by my250sfp
I have an IS and it has a big trunk but I'm not sure it was more than the NX I test drove. One of the reasons for getting an SUV for me would be the added storage space. Am i wrong in this?
In order to get more space than the IS, you need to remove the privacy cover. I use the space mostly for things that I wish to keep hidden, and all I know is that things that fit well into my IS trunk do not fit into the NX space below the privacy cover.
Old 01-09-19, 07:53 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

The first thing I did was remove the privacy cover. There is a spot to stow it beneath the trunk floor. There are also more storage areas below the floor.

That privacy cover cuts the storage by almost half.

And don’t forget you can also fold the rear seats for larger items.
Old 01-09-19, 12:54 PM
bob67
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Tried out the UX. Kinda low to the ground, so could be hard to get out of, it was for me, being 6 feet tall and past retirement age. While looking at the UX, with it being so expensive for such a small car, decided on getting a like new used NX F-Sport with almost all the extras included for about $10,000 less, (or more), than a new UX. NX lot easier to get out of, and even if the NX does not get the mpg of the UX, that $10,000 difference buys a lot of gas!
Old 01-09-19, 05:26 PM
b1gpapa
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you look at 2019 cx5? I'm debating on getting either a CPO RX or save some money and get a brand new 2019 CX-5. So far I'm leaning towards the CX-5. I'll be saving around 6-7 grand.

Quick Reply: NX vs UX or Other?