ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-1st-gen-2015-2021-264/)
-   -   What should I consider before buying a used NX? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-1st-gen-2015-2021/907600-what-should-i-consider-before-buying-a-used-nx.html)

lexusnxnx 12-28-18 12:12 PM

What should I consider before buying a used NX?

I'm looking at used NX cars and the ones in my budget are mostly 2015 base models but now I'm thinking of increasing the budget and possibly going for F Sport and/or AWD. Are there any known potential issues with either base or F Sport versions? Do F Sport / AWD have any major differences from base model in terms of maintenance? Is F Sport and/or AWD worth it? Also, are there any major differences between 2015, 2016, and 2017 models like quality issues with 2015 that were fixed in 2016?

I've seen some NX listed as Turbo. Is this standard on all NX or is Turbo like an extra feature over the base model? Also, I read something about IS engines being turbo charged which could cause potential issues in the future. Does the NX have this potential issue?

I plan to own the car long term and may DIY for wear and tear type repairs as the car gets older. I have a 2004 Accord and feel somewhat competent at fixing a lot of things myself but is it a lot more difficult to do DIY repair on newer cars like the NX?

ross7777 12-28-18 06:21 PM

Edmunds.com can tell you specifics on what changed from year to year. The engine is the same for all models and years. 2.0 turbo.

AWD is only needed for snow IMO. The NX AWD is 100% FWD until the wheels slip then it directs power to the rear.

F-Sport is mostly cosmetic except for some with the adaptive suspension option. I believe the 2015-2017 F-Sport's did not have cooled seats.

That's all I know, I've only had the 2019 F-Sport for a couple days although I've been researching used 2015-2017 models.

slypx 12-28-18 06:51 PM

All NX’s are turbo powered ...
Transmission will use « dynamic AWD » in different conditions ... see image
F-Sport in « sport mode » is more than suspension mods ... It is changing the engine, transmission and suspension .. see image

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...130a4a01c.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...37689daa0.jpeg

ukrkoz 12-29-18 07:05 AM

You live in CA. Unless you go up into snowy mountains or wet "offroading" on muddy forest roads, what do you need AWD for? Even then, some winter tores take care of most moderate winter conditions. With AWD, you add complexity, weight, things to maintain and break down and - WORSE mpg. Ultimately, it's your call. One thing I do know about FWD - if you really step on it on wet road, tires spin. Too much torque. AWD does not have this but, then again, you will have less go down the road in AWD due to higher weight.
It's the same power train across the models. Difference is in gizmos availability. Basically, you paying for more electronics and shiny displays.
'ts your money. No one can make that decision for you.
ALWAYS take a vehicle out for at least an hour - 2 hr test drive. You never know, how torturous it may turn out, seating comfort wise, if you did not do that. Also, if you haul a lot of stuff, NX is not really a cargo champion. It's a cute toy with Lexus nameplate.

Grahaminat 12-29-18 11:34 AM

Here's a few things I wish I'd known before purchasing my used 2017 Lexus NX200T:

1. It does NOT have rain sensing wipers. That's unusual in this day and age since my 2013 Ford Escape has rain sensing wipers.
2. I bought the non-GPS version thinking I could mirror Waze or Google maps onto the screen. Nay, nay! The Lexus "connected GPS" through a phone app called Scout GPS Link is the only thing I could use and it is WORTHLESS! Spend the extra money for the GPS.
3. There is NO dedicated glasses holder above the rear view mirror. There is a tiny space above the radio where some people place their phone. I use this to store my sunglasses but the method I use to mount my phone (CD slot holder with charger) makes it difficult to get my glasses in/out.
4. The trunk storage is very limited. I have two gym bags (cycle shoes & gym clothes) and a "go bag" in the storage area. After that, I'm lucky to get a gallon of milk and a case of Coke in the cargo area.
5. The buttons for the memory seats are UNDER the armrest. I've had to open the door to see them in order to select the correct button. Poor choice of placement.
6. No sub-woofer and the stock speakers and stereo are sub-par. I replaced the door & dash speakers and improved the sound slightly but be prepared to be underwhelmed.
7. Android Auto and Apple Car Play are NOT available on the 2015-2017 models and is available only on certain 2018 and newer models.

On a positive note, the ride is phenomenal! The pick up and gas mileage are good. I average 23.5 in the city and got 29 mph on a recent three state trip.

And to answer your previous question, the Turbo is standard.

Also note that the F Sport version does NOT have ventilated seats. Where I live ventilated seats are very nice to have.

Good luck!

LexusHoo 01-04-19 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Grahaminat (Post 10395857)
Here's a few things I wish I'd known before purchasing my used 2017 Lexus NX200T:

1. It does NOT have rain sensing wipers. That's unusual in this day and age since my 2013 Ford Escape has rain sensing wipers.
2. I bought the non-GPS version thinking I could mirror Waze or Google maps onto the screen. Nay, nay! The Lexus "connected GPS" through a phone app called Scout GPS Link is the only thing I could use and it is WORTHLESS! Spend the extra money for the GPS.
3. There is NO dedicated glasses holder above the rear view mirror. There is a tiny space above the radio where some people place their phone. I use this to store my sunglasses but the method I use to mount my phone (CD slot holder with charger) makes it difficult to get my glasses in/out.
4. The trunk storage is very limited. I have two gym bags (cycle shoes & gym clothes) and a "go bag" in the storage area. After that, I'm lucky to get a gallon of milk and a case of Coke in the cargo area.
5. The buttons for the memory seats are UNDER the armrest. I've had to open the door to see them in order to select the correct button. Poor choice of placement.
6. No sub-woofer and the stock speakers and stereo are sub-par. I replaced the door & dash speakers and improved the sound slightly but be prepared to be underwhelmed.
7. Android Auto and Apple Car Play are NOT available on the 2015-2017 models and is available only on certain 2018 and newer models.

On a positive note, the ride is phenomenal! The pick up and gas mileage are good. I average 23.5 in the city and got 29 mph on a recent three state trip.

And to answer your previous question, the Turbo is standard.

Also note that the F Sport version does NOT have ventilated seats. Where I live ventilated seats are very nice to have.

Good luck!

thats odd, mine has rain sensing wipers and an eyeglass holder. Look under the mouse, there’s a little flap you pull up, it has a mirror on the underside and you slide your glasses there.

ross7777 01-04-19 06:56 AM

The memory seat buttons should have lights or bumps but they can be linked to the keyfob. Once we had ours set, I linked the settings to my fob and my wife’s. Now we don’t touch those buttons.

The hatch space is small but not that small. The first thing I did was remove the cover and stow it under the floor. I’m sure I could fit several pieces of luggage.

ciuvak 01-04-19 07:47 AM

Keep the tips coming, please. I'm also thinking about getting a 2015/2016 NX, but prefer the hybrid, so 300h.

Grahaminat 01-04-19 10:21 AM

Mine definitely does not have rain sensing wipers. I guess the version you have must have been a different package level.

Regarding the "secret" compartment in the console with the mirror - I do have that but I use it to store cables. I guess I could put my sunglasses there. However, I miss the "push-button" compartment above the rear view mirror that a lot of cars have that's dedicated to storing sunglasses.

LexusHoo 01-05-19 11:39 AM

Agreed about the sunglasses holder.. miss mine too. Mine has a few things the standards dont.. for some reason..like the rain sensing wipers. Mine also has the Lexus emblem spelled out on the back of the vehicle on the bottom left of the tailgate . I’ve see a few and they don’t have it. They just have the “L” in the middle and the NX200T on the bottom right. EDIT.. found the original sticker. All this is part of the “luxury package” which added $4700 to the price. Got lucky, the previous owner added $11K in upgrades including 18 inch wheels.

Another rather obvious tip for used buyers. Make sure you get the certified Lexus pre owned. Even though my 2017 only had 9K miles, the warranty is good into 2023 and unlimited mileage.

I love that vehicle. Somehow my wife is driving it and I took over her RX350. I bought the NX to replace my 2008 GS which a deer totaled. Really enjoying the ride.. when I get to drive it. :)