NX Models (2015-present)

2018 NX 300 Vibration

Old 12-24-18, 08:13 AM
DOCW3
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2018 NX 300 Vibration

2.0 L Turbo 16-Valve DOHC with 6-Speed Auto Transmission
Purchased in July 2018. Low mileage (1436 mi) due to knee injury but have resumed driving.
There is a vibration with initial acceleration (1000-1500 rpm), then disappears but returns with the noted rpm range. Can be heard and felt in the steering wheel with either normal,sport or econ driving mode selected. Have not reported to dealer. Would appreciate any thoughts.
Old 12-25-18, 06:57 AM
ukrkoz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 146 Likes on 136 Posts

Mine vibrates at 1600 RPM when cruising or slow accelerating and staying in that range.
Similar issue was already mentioned by someone else.
Dealer likely to tell you it's normal.
You are using 92 petrol, right?
My only concern is your range of RPM is much broader than mine. Mine is literally dead spot on 1600. The very moment tach handle passes 1500... It is not noticeable at fast acceleration as vehicle does not stay in that range, but is quite well felt when cruising or slow driving on backroads.
Toyota does not do balance shafts in its engines... so here you go.
Old 12-25-18, 09:12 AM
DOCW3
Driver School Candidate

Have been alternating between mid and premium grade but now see manual states premium only. For clarification, it always begins at 1000 and leaves at 1500
Old 12-27-18, 11:35 AM
ukrkoz
Lexus Test Driver

yeah.. yours is different. I tried 87 once and I could tell the difference.. Cheap as I am, I'd rather not risk non manufacturer specified petrol on GDI turbo engine. they actually can tell, if that was the case. Those cars record everything.
As of 500 rpm range.. I say try dealer. That's what warranty is for, right?
Old 02-25-19, 06:30 PM
DOCW3
Driver School Candidate

In for 6-month service this week reporting vibration. Response from service rep--condition normal based on check of another NX. Will seek opportunity to get input from an owner. Have used Shell 91 fuel exclusively for past two months but no effect. FWIW, full manual states 91fuel but condensed version doesn't --fuel cap has up to E15 (15% ethanol) but no octane number--nothing in vehicle sticker or offered by sales rep. Critiqued RPM range is now 250 RPM beginning just below 1000 and more noise than felt but still an agitation in stop and go traffic. Further, service rep excused spare not having recommended psi following service as a requirement of tire pressure monitoring system--spare is not duplicate of tires on ground and marked for 60-70 psi.

Last edited by DOCW3; 03-05-19 at 09:20 AM. Reason: up date on octane and rpm range
Old 02-25-19, 07:43 PM
Lex2000TL
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

In NX engine turbo kicks in at 1600 rpm. Your vibration issue must have something to do with this.

NX engine is only 2.0L 4-inline and has little power without help of turbo, and NX is heavy vehicle. So, as you try to move while engine is below turbo range, the engine struggles. Thus, you feel vibration. This should not happen, but it does. Once turbo kicks in, there is plenty power on tap.

Also, I suspect that either engine control module may need programming update to get more fuel (running lean?) or there is some sort of obstruction in fuel line, or air filter, or whatever, that hampers engine performance. Just a thought. Have dealer run trouble codes.

Somebody mentioned that Toyota engines do not have balancers. I believe all modern 4-cylinder engines have now balancers.

4-stroke, 6-inline is naturally balanced engine and does not need additional balancer. V6 not as good as 6-inline, but still better balanced than 4-cylinder engine, so no need for balancer as well, although some high-performance V6 have it. 4 cylinder 4-stroke engine is naturally not balanced and needs balancer “help”.

Read the article about NX engine (http://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=139) where it said “engine block is equipped with a twin gear-driven counter-rotating balance shafts”.

Also about balancers - while few engine manufacturers have engines with built-in balancer, majority do not. They use bolt-on type balancer. There are several balancers suppliers to engine manufacturers: e. g. Aisin, Denso in Japan, DANA in US, etc. These balancers designed as a separate bolt-on (not necessary outside on engine) units for specific engine, and NX engine has either bolt-on or built-in, I am not sure
Old 02-26-19, 09:48 AM
ukrkoz
Lexus Test Driver

It's not balancers. It's balancer shafts. I have never seen a Toyo engine with one. Maybe on sports ones.. Matter of fact, the only engine I know routinely does them is Mitsubishi. It costs money and complicates design and manufacturing. It is a shaft that sort of looks like camshaft, with cam lobes creating a counter balance force to crankshaft, and dedicated belt. So such engines have 2 belts - timing and balancer. Plus, tensioner and all that. $$$$$. Honda does not do them. Toyota does not. Not sure about Nissan. I happened to work on several Mitsu engines, that's how I know about them.

Last edited by ukrkoz; 02-26-19 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-26-19, 11:01 AM
Lex2000TL
Pole Position

Talking

Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
It's not balancers. It's balancer shafts. I have never seen a Toyo engine with one. Maybe on sports ones.. Matter of fact, the only engine I know routinely does them is Mitsubishi. It costs money and complicates design and manufacturing. It is a shaft that sort of looks like camshaft, with cam lobes creating a counter balance force to crankshaft, and dedicated belt. So such engines have 2 belts - timing and balancer. Plus, tensioner and all that. $$$$$. Honda does not do them. Toyota does not. Not sure about Nissan. I happened to work on several Mitsu engines, that's how I know about them.
ukrkoz, When I wrote my explanation, I actually meant mechanism that has a case and one or two rotating shafts, just as you described. The entire assembly called balancer. Typically, the shafts are driven by gears, not belts, but, I suppose there are balancers driven by belts as well. I just have never seen this type.
In regards of if Toyota has them or not, the link I provided in my reply explains it. Also, I personally seen balancer assemblies for Toyota and Honda engines (due to my line of work, and I did not work with Mitsubishi cars). Never the less, what is important that we all here can share or opinions, expertise to help each other, so I appreciate your input as well.
The following users liked this post:
ukrkoz (02-26-19)
Old 02-26-19, 01:52 PM
ukrkoz
Lexus Test Driver

And so do I. Thank you.
Old 02-26-19, 01:55 PM
ukrkoz
Lexus Test Driver

The engine block is equipped with a twin gear-driven counter-rotating balance shafts, fully balanced forged steel crankshaft, high-strength steel connecting rods, and lightweight aluminum pistons.
Then it vibrates - why?
Old 02-26-19, 03:22 PM
brook41
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lock up torque converter?
Old 02-26-19, 03:28 PM
Lex2000TL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
The engine block is equipped with a twin gear-driven counter-rotating balance shafts, fully balanced forged steel crankshaft, high-strength steel connecting rods, and lightweight aluminum pistons.
Then it vibrates - why?
The balancer is not and cannot be designed for entire range of rpm-s. It is designed for most common range 2000 to 3000 rpm. Higher rpm-s may not need a balancer as engine runs under heavier load. Lower rpm-s typically do not last for long time as as soon as car started to move, rpm goes up close to or above 2000, or so. This is my understanding.
Old 02-26-19, 06:12 PM
ukrkoz
Lexus Test Driver

Fair enough.
Old 02-26-19, 06:28 PM
coolsaber
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by DOCW3 View Post
2.0 L Turbo 16-Valve DOHC with 6-Speed Auto Transmission
Purchased in July 2018. Low mileage (1436 mi) due to knee injury but have resumed driving.
There is a vibration with initial acceleration (1000-1500 rpm), then disappears but returns with the noted rpm range. Can be heard and felt in the steering wheel with either normal,sport or econ driving mode selected. Have not reported to dealer. Would appreciate any thoughts.
Go into any dealership/person that has a spare 18 or even 19, and try to replicate the RPMs. Just state your in the market again, and if you sense the same you can rest assured its normal. If its not present then you know its isolated to your vehicle, and drive to the service center right there and show em the difference.

Anecdote here, on my test drives of the NX and RX back to back, the RX NVH is much more refined then the NX, as expected since ones a i4 FI vs NA v6.
Old 03-05-19, 09:33 AM
DOCW3
Driver School Candidate

My rpm range seems to have narrowed to about 250 beginning just below 1000 and is more noise than feel--still an agitation in stop and go traffic which is common for me. Service response didn't indicate any adjustment but I did add Shell 91 on the way home from the dealer last week--same station and octane for last 2 months. Plan to revisit dealer and ask to speak with tech. Thanks to everyone for the education.

Last edited by DOCW3; 03-05-19 at 09:37 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: