NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Scrambled Nav Screen

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-18, 02:43 AM
catchtanya
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Scrambled Nav Screen

Curious if anyone else has had this issue- Lexus saw the issue, and a reboot fixed it. I am just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if i should expect a recurrence.

Note that the SAT in the upper left corner has no quality issues. Only the text that is populated. This was across all sources.

I have a 2015 200T with ~ 67k miles on it.

Thanks!

Tanya

Old 11-30-18, 12:04 PM
joeyalex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife’s NX did something similar, but it was with the Nav screen. It was happening once or twice a month. A reboot always fixed it. Lexus never figured out what was wrong, they just gave it back and said they couldn’t replicate it.

We just turned it in close to the end of the lease with the issue unresolved. It always looked to me like a software problem, since reboot fixed it and parts of the screen were okay. On the nav screen, it would even rotate the scrambled part when the car turned, so it was a weird failure that’s for sure.
Old 11-30-18, 12:21 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by joeyalex
My wife’s NX did something similar, but it was with the Nav screen. It was happening once or twice a month. A reboot always fixed it. Lexus never figured out what was wrong, they just gave it back and said they couldn’t replicate it.

We just turned it in close to the end of the lease with the issue unresolved. It always looked to me like a software problem, since reboot fixed it and parts of the screen were okay. On the nav screen, it would even rotate the scrambled part when the car turned, so it was a weird failure that’s for sure.
How do you do the reboot? Is it as simple as turning off power and turning it back on?
Old 11-30-18, 12:50 PM
catchtanya
Rookie

Correct - I was told by the service advisor at the dealership that turning the car off and restarting it reboots the system. i have seen in other threads here a way to "hard reboot" it but I have not tried it personally.

T
Old 11-30-18, 12:51 PM
catchtanya
Rookie

Interesting. I did not lease my car and really planned on keeping this one for a bit (ive owned it for 3 years now - the longest of any car ever!) I hope it was a fluke. Glad you are rid of your issue. Did you get a new NX?
Old 11-30-18, 05:31 PM
ptung07
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Had this issue on my 2017 Lexus NX300h. Took it in to the service department and while they could not replicate it, they "contacted" a corporate Lexus engineer for this issue. The Lexus engineer said they have had several reported issues over this problem. They are working on a a software fix and my VIN has been recorded so they can contact us when it is released. Apparently one of the issues is that they processor in the system is slow and cannot keep up. Therefore, graphics corruption occurs. Really a bad deal... Makes sense why the newer NX models have a better system with CarPlay.
Old 12-01-18, 03:48 AM
catchtanya
Rookie

Originally Posted by ptung07
Makes sense why the newer NX models have a better system with CarPlay.
Wonder if this means I should get a newer NX This seems like the logical thing to do no? hah

T
Old 12-02-18, 03:32 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

yup, I get this roughly every 3 months or so on my nav screen. Took pictures and videos to document. Usually, it's just the top half of the map. I can change it from full screen to panel screen and the top half of the map is still garbled. Once, it was the full screen.

I've found that I can just press volume up/down and the screen fixes itself.

The last time I brought it in for service, they said it MIGHT be caused by my screen picture and asked that I try the default. Well, that didn't help. It's a small annoyance, but I made sure they documented it in case the thing goes completely bonkers after warranty.