NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

I believe I'm going to buy a new NX

Old 11-23-18, 07:34 PM
NXNoob
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I believe I'm going to buy a new NX

So I've actually been looking for about the last month, taking my time to review different vehicles in this price range. Today was my last day to check around at other dealers and I believe the NX is my best choice. I also considered the Acura RDX, but after just sitting in a new one, I can't say I was impressed at all with the interior design or quality for a newly redesigned model for the price they were asking MSRP. I also looked at Mercedes GLA and GLC classes. The GLA was complete garbage in my opinion. I understand Mercedes doesn't want to give out many of their more luxury features on such a entry level model, but the whole vehicle inside is about the equivalent of a Honda Accord in terms of the materials used. The GLC was better, however to get equivalent options to an NX, Mercedes was already at the $50k mark. Not to mention I do my own mechanical work on any vehicle I own and I'm very well aware of how Mercedes likes to make maintenance of various parts a technician's nightmare with their specialized tools. I think went on to check out Porsche's Macan, and while I would say the Macan was definitely better than the GLA, it still lacked some features found on the NX, such as motorized rear seat recline. Mercedes didn't offer such a feature that I saw; hell even Lexus RX didn't have this. The Macan seemed to be lacking on USB ports, and overall quality was still a little below the NX. I had to move over to the Cayenne to feel something comparable to what I felt sitting in the NX just 1 hour earlier. Even in the Cayenne, a manual rear seat adjustment was all I noticed in the dealer's floor model. The center console is VERY busy.

With this being my first Lexus, I'm pretty impressed at how well they have combined so many features found in other higher priced luxury vehicles into the NX. I'll be taking one for a test drive in the next couple weeks but I'm sure I'll be pleased. I did want to ask, how should I proceed with getting a dealer quote? I had planned on just using TrueCar....any other suggestions?
Old 11-23-18, 07:38 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you read the thread on what people paid (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...aid-lease.html), you will find that many people are able to get close to 10% off MSRP. It seems to vary by region, and maybe time of the month or time of the year.
Old 11-24-18, 03:31 AM
GlenK
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the first NX in 2015 and still love it!! It's an amazing vehicle that has given me no issues.
Old 11-24-18, 07:56 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...od-or-bad.html

Also, be aware that there will very little things left you will be able to DIY on this car. Can't bleed brakes. Can't replace rear brake pads. Can't do this can't do that, as you have electronic safeguards everywhere or, most of crucial components are drive by wire, so Techstream is required to do even maintenance. Can't even shut down engine, you have to let it idle for 20 sec before shut down.
It's not simple sitting in the car touching things and liking them or criticizing them. Go for a ride and try using that goofy touchpad...
Yeah, I get it, RDX (2019) may look cheaper. Yet, it has something like 50cf more cargo and 40 more ponies.
Do yourself a favor. Arrange for a long term test drive. Not a 15 min quick jolt with sales guy yakking into your ear non stop. There is ton of RDX vs NX vids on youTube... maybe take a look at few? I mean, I don't care, it's your money. But things tend to take few days and quite a few miles and hours in that seat, to actually start showing their real face.
Old 11-24-18, 01:13 PM
jelco
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a 2016 Nx a few weeks ago and have taken a few road trips already. Car drives real nice and have been very happy with it. When shopping around, other vehicles I was looking at was the Mazda CX-5, BMW X3, Toyota Rav 4. So the comparison to Porche and Mercedes is different . . . . . .
Old 11-24-18, 01:58 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

porsche had auto rear seats when I looked at in 2017...only real negative on nx is crappy nav/entertainment/trackpad...ofc my wife just uses her phone for everything.
Old 11-24-18, 09:39 PM
jelco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Torii
porsche had auto rear seats when I looked at in 2017...only real negative on nx is crappy nav/entertainment/trackpad...ofc my wife just uses her phone for everything.
agreed. I can't help but think Lexus could've done a little better with the nav/ent/trackpad.
Old 11-25-18, 10:57 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jelco
agreed. I can't help but think Lexus could've done a little better with the nav/ent/trackpad.
Nobody likes the trackpad. Every review I've read of any Lexus vehicle has said it's one of the worst nav/infotainment systems out there, yet Lexus continues, year after to year, to keep in it every model. I specifically chose my NX to not have nav, and plan to never get navigation on any Lexus until they fix this potential cause of driver distraction.
Old 11-25-18, 06:11 PM
jelco
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fredw1
Nobody likes the trackpad. Every review I've read of any Lexus vehicle has said it's one of the worst nav/infotainment systems out there, yet Lexus continues, year after to year, to keep in it every model. I specifically chose my NX to not have nav, and plan to never get navigation on any Lexus until they fix this potential cause of driver distraction.
I would definitely prefer that the screen just mirrors the app on my phone. Would be 10x better. Wonder if I that is an option with Apple CarPlay. . . . .

Old 11-25-18, 11:31 PM
Grahaminat
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just purchased a 2017 NX200T. Here are a few pros & cons after driving it for a couple of days;

Pros:
1. The ride is PHENOMINAL! I've never been in a vehicle that glides down the road like this.
2. The "Hold" button is a nice feature. Press it and next time you're stopped at a light waiting for an eternity, the brake remains engaged. You can take your foot off the brake, take your shoes off, scratch your feet...sorry for the image. LOL
3. The door handles illuminate as you approach the vehicle. VERY nice in a dark area or at night.
4. Streaming music from my phone via Bluetooth displays an image of the album art on the display - nice touch.

Cons:
1. Spring for the Navigation. The Scout GPS Link is HORRENDOUS!!!!! There's a 3.5 mile stretch from my house to get on the freeway. Literally all I have to do is drive straight. In that 3.5 miles, Scout GPS Link had me (1) turn left at the next light (2) turn right at the next light (3) make a U-turn when possible. Then when I got on the freeway, it actually told me, "When possible, make a U-turn." I had to pull the car over and turn the $&(*#& thing OFF!
2. Also, I thought I could simply just use the "Connected Navi" feature and connect the Waze app from my phone. Oh no. You HAVE to use Scout GPS Link if you're going to use the "Connected Navi" feature.
3. It takes FOREVER to access text messages from my phone. A notification appears on screen with a message asking if I'd like the message read. I then need to select that yes, I'd like the message read via Bluetooth. From the time the message notification appears to when it's actually read has taken approximately 3 minutes. No joke. My last car just displayed a notification on the screen that I'd received a text message & I could press to hear it. It's played INSTANTLY.
4. Selecting the "Voice activation" button doesn't seem to play music from my phone - at least not right away. I had to pull my phone from my pocket, launch the phones music player, select a song and THEN the music would play. That's REAL safe, especially at 65 mph! For some reason, the music app HAS to be launched before the voice recognition works. I have pressed the Voice activation button and stated "Stream Bluetooth" only to have the system state, "The USB device is not connected." Huh?? I'm not using the USB connection, I'm using Bluetooth. I'm mentioning this because in my 2013 Ford as long as I was connected to Bluetooth, all I had to do was select the voice activation button, say, "Play Bluetooth" and the music would play.
5. Setting the analog clock required I do a Google search. It's nowhere in the Setup of the system. Instead, there's two tiny buttons next to the clock - one to advance the time and another to decrease the time.

I think Lexus places more emphases on the smoothness of the ride and the reliability of the vehicle instead of things like technology. Unfortunately, my FIVE year old Ford Escape does a far superior job at handling the tech side of things. This is important because we're all using tech more and more in our vehicles and it's important to be safe while doing so. We rely on that technology (i.e. Navigation, having a text message read to us so we're not tempted to pull out our phone, etc.) so Lexus needs to up their game on the technology side.
Old 11-25-18, 11:32 PM
Grahaminat
Driver

I agree. I would prefer just mirroring the app on my phone.
Old 11-26-18, 11:45 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Grahaminat
I just purchased a 2017 NX200T. Here are a few pros & cons after driving it for a couple of days;

Cons:
1. Spring for the Navigation. The Scout GPS Link is HORRENDOUS!!!!! There's a 3.5 mile stretch from my house to get on the freeway. Literally all I have to do is drive straight. In that 3.5 miles, Scout GPS Link had me (1) turn left at the next light (2) turn right at the next light (3) make a U-turn when possible. Then when I got on the freeway, it actually told me, "When possible, make a U-turn." I had to pull the car over and turn the $&(*#& thing OFF!
EDIT: Nevermind, I just re-read your post again and you didn't have the nav system.
I have '16 so I can't comment on the '17 newer system.

But see if there's anywhere you have the option to check/uncheck Toll, Navigation...
This is why it's avoiding the freeway and making you take the surface street.

On all of my lexus navigation, I always uncheck Toll roads.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 11-26-18 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-26-18, 12:02 PM
Grahaminat
Driver

Yes, I looked at the boxes to "Avoid Toll roads", etc. The only thing I have checked is "Avoid Carpool Lanes."

Also, I've tried multiple times now to select my home/work to drive to. GPS Scout Link simply displays a "To:" field as if I were compiling an email. I have yet to get the addresses that I preset for Home and Work to "navigate" anywhere using GPS Scout Link.