NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Anyone have any experiences with the Q5 or Audi in general?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-18, 07:18 PM
Tiger833
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any experiences with the Q5 or Audi in general?

To make a long story short, my wife told me she wanted a NX. After following the negotiation tactics found on this forum, I have a good offer on a 2019 nx (good in my opinion at least). My in-laws convinced my wife to test drive a Q5, and she really liked it (she also had a better customer experience at the Audi dealership, sales rep actually went on test drive with her and explained all the tech. At Lexus dealership, they just gave her keys and really didn’t show her anything). Now she is torn. I agree with her that the Q5 is a better car in terms on features, interior material, and drive experience. However, I have concerns on the reliability and cost of ownership of the Audi.

My question is does anyone have experiences with Audi cars and/or the Q5? How does it compare with your experience with the nx/Lexus car?

Last edited by Tiger833; 11-18-18 at 07:32 PM.
Old 11-18-18, 07:28 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

After back to back Lexus' we bought a Q5. It was solid and problem free in the nearly 4 years we had it. We traded it in on an A6 which had been just as good for 2 years. Very good experience with both. I don't keep cars beyond the factory warranty so I can't speak to long term reliability, but it's something to consider. I would buy another Audi without hesitation.
The following users liked this post:
Tiger833 (11-19-18)
Old 11-19-18, 09:13 AM
dacommitte
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had a couple of VWs and my sister had an Audi and both were some of the worst cars my family/myself has owned. Primarily with electrical problems and after 60K with reliability. Worst problem is that most non-german shops won't touch them because they are a nightmare to work on. I learned my lesson and had a CRV for 4 trouble free years before I purchased my NX in 2015. I now have 59K of trouble free miles on my NX.
Tiger833 (11-19-18)
Old 11-19-18, 10:19 AM
vr4/sc400
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 2014 SQ5. Fit/finish/comfort goes to the Q5. Performance/handling again the Germans hands down.
Reliability, though nothing major there always seems to be something....
My extended warranty ends it 2 years. I will be getting a new vehicle, not because I am tired or dislike my current SQ5 (favorite driver vehicle to date) but I don't trust the longevity.
To be fair I am extremely rough on my vehicle, I know this. If my grandmother drove this then I would be confident for 10 years.

If you get a new vehicle every 5 years go for the Audi you'll love it.
If you keep your vehicles 10+ years then without question Lexus is your brand.
Tiger833 (11-19-18)
Old 11-19-18, 11:08 AM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

I do, unfortunately, have experience with Audi, and do not even want to elaborate. If you intend to keep the car beyond factory warranty, you should ask yourself one question: Why extended warranty for European vehicles costs 2.5 - 3 times to vehicles built by Japanese?
The following 2 users liked this post by Lex2000TL:
Tiger833 (11-19-18), ukrkoz (11-19-18)
Old 11-19-18, 02:46 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

In addition to here at Club Lexus, Audiworld has an active Q5 forum that would be a good source of owner experiences, pros and cons etc.
Tiger833 (11-19-18)
Old 11-19-18, 06:13 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I agree with those that stated “you don’t want to keep it past warranty”. I purchased a lease return a few years back and I purchased the car twice. I keep all my repair and maintenance receipts and one day my brother was giving me static over all the repairs, so I pulled the stack out and I had indeed paid as much in repairs as the purchase price of the car. To be fair - this was also over a seven year period of time, so you can correctly assume that I really liked the car or I wouldn’t have put up with that for seven years.

In my opinion, the question may come down to how long you want to keep the car and what your expectations are. If you are looking at handling go with the Audi, if you are looking for reliability go for the NX. Both are nice cars.

Isn’t the Q3 a closer match in size to the NX? It seems like the Q5 is about half way between the NX and the RX.
Tiger833 (11-19-18)
Old 11-19-18, 07:46 PM
Tiger833
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
I agree with those that stated “you don’t want to keep it past warranty”. I purchased a lease return a few years back and I purchased the car twice. I keep all my repair and maintenance receipts and one day my brother was giving me static over all the repairs, so I pulled the stack out and I had indeed paid as much in repairs as the purchase price of the car. To be fair - this was also over a seven year period of time, so you can correctly assume that I really liked the car or I wouldn’t have put up with that for seven years.

In my opinion, the question may come down to how long you want to keep the car and what your expectations are. If you are looking at handling go with the Audi, if you are looking for reliability go for the NX. Both are nice cars.

Isn’t the Q3 a closer match in size to the NX? It seems like the Q5 is about half way between the NX and the RX.
That is what I used to think, but it seems that the nx is now pretty much the same size as the old RX (the one my wife drives) and she thinks the new NX is to big. Also, according to the comparison tool on the lexus website, the nx and q5 are pretty similar in size.

Old 11-20-18, 02:50 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

my sister inlaw has a 2017 q5 which I have driven and ridden in quite a bit. I actually went to the porsch/audi dealer along with MB as they all in same parking lot....MB very helpful, audi and porsche gave me stinkeye and my wife and I only one there...we stayed with lexus...however if it was my primary vehicle it would of been porsche all day everyday.
Old 11-20-18, 03:28 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

My wife drives a Q5, and loves it! Of course I've also driven the Q5, but prefer my NX for drivability.

I think the two cars are similar in workmanship and fit/finish, but I prefer the comfort of the NX...certainly a personal preference.

We're on our 3rd Audi Q5 and 3rd Lexus (the other two were RXs) and have to admit the upkeep of the older Audis was looking like it could get costly before we bought new.

Keep in mind the "next-generation" Q5 is now built in Mexico beginning with the 2017 model, so it could be the car is even more reliable than my wife's 2016 model that has 28,000 miles and ZERO problems!

Regarding size: I was all set to buy another RX until I got in it and discovered it is bigger than, well, a battleship...so I bought the NX instead, but not before trying the 2017 Q5, and the decision was easy. I could NOT fit my golf clubs in the boot of the Q5 sideways....they had to be placed at an angle and really needed a rear seat down when I had more than one set of clubs. Even with the long driver, my golf clubs fit sideways in the NX....priorities!