Roof rails oxidation problem not recognized by Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-18, 07:30 PM
CalvinW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roof rails oxidation problem not recognized by Lexus

Hello All,
Im new to this site and was wondering whether anyone else out there has experienced their roof rails oxidizing? My 2015 nx200t roof rails has a bad case of oxidation strictly isolated to both roof rails. All the other paint is in excellent condition. Brought this to the attention of the dealership and they claimed that it was caused by “environmental factors” not deemed to be warranted.
Wow, so disappointed that Lexus does not stand behind their product.Update Aug 28,2019Tried 3 dealerships, the last dealer was able to pull a rabbit out of the hat and help me out (even though I didn’t get the car from them). I’m extremely satisfied with them, I won’t go anywhere else for future servicing. In fact, come this September I’m going to lease another vehicle from that dealership. They truly understand what customer service really means.

Last edited by CalvinW; 08-29-19 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Update Aug 2019
Old 11-08-18, 07:13 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Haven't heard about this problem, do you live in an environment with lots of salt, like near any of the oceans? Seems like some metal polish and wax would fix that right up, i believe they are aluminum rails.
Old 11-08-18, 09:33 AM
CalvinW
Driver School Candidate

Default Roof rails

Originally Posted by gompka
Haven't heard about this problem, do you live in an environment with lots of salt, like near any of the oceans? Seems like some metal polish and wax would fix that right up, i believe they are aluminum rails.
Good point and thanks for responding . However, ’m approximately 10 mins from the nearest salt water. ..

The issue is, the clear coat on the aluminum is worn causing the aluminum rails to oxidized. I’m bewildered as to why this is happening since the rest of the painted areas are perfectly fine. I’m thinking that since it’s an early Nx, there may have been some quality issues. I’ve had other problems (ie door actuators fail, delaminating infotainment screen). So I’m a bit of a skeptic when it comes to their so called premium branding. These things happened all within the first 7,000 kms.

Anyways, I was just reaching out to see if any others who owned an nx had this issue.
Old 11-08-18, 09:40 AM
gompka
Racer

Have you used a roof rack on the rails at all? Are they oxidizing along the whole length of the rail?
Old 11-08-18, 11:09 AM
CalvinW
Driver School Candidate

The rails are unused and were a standard item mounted from the factory. And yes, the oxidation is on the entire length. So strange and unexplainable. I’m going to take it to an autobaody shop and get their advice on how to remedy the clear coat issue since the dealership won’t acknowlege this being covered by warranty.
Old 11-08-18, 11:53 AM
gompka
Racer

Originally Posted by CalvinW
The rails are unused and were a standard item mounted from the factory. And yes, the oxidation is on the entire length. So strange and unexplainable. I’m going to take it to an autobaody shop and get their advice on how to remedy the clear coat issue since the dealership won’t acknowlege this being covered by warranty.
Just don't take no for an answer from the dealership, escalate it to the manager and or to Lexus corporate customer service. They definitely shouldn't be oxidizing. We have a 2016 and the rails look fine, but its mostly kept in the garage and doesn't spend much time outside. Not sure if that would matter or not, seems like there is an issue with the coating on yours. I had a similar issue with the wheels on my is350, the powdercoat started bubbling after 2 winters.
Old 11-08-18, 03:09 PM
aa146
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

^^^ Escalate it

By any chance, has the NX gone under detailing of any sort? Incorrect detailing methods will do a world of hurt to your car and its paint.
Old 11-08-18, 06:14 PM
CalvinW
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. I’ve been dealing with this since August. Gone both routes. I think I will send an email detailing my concerns to the president of Toyota Canada. Maybe he can help me understand exactly why they won’t stand behind their warranty.
Old 11-09-18, 03:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Can you post a pic of the issue?

The dealer makes a difference. Try another explaining how you were turned down and you want to give future business to them. If still no go, escalate to corporate with pics attached highlighting that the rest of the car is pristine.

Good luck.
Old 11-09-18, 11:04 PM
CalvinW
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your advice. I’ve tried that and I’m getting no where. I think I’m going to be contacting the sales manager where I bought the car from and see if he can be helpful.
Old 11-10-18, 10:49 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinW
Thanks for your advice. I’ve tried that and I’m getting no where. I think I’m going to be contacting the sales manager where I bought the car from and see if he can be helpful.
Please keep us posted on how you made out...I'm very curious, Thanks!
Old 11-10-18, 11:53 AM
CalvinW
Driver School Candidate

Certainly will update once I’m able. Will start pursuing this issue after Nov 22nd. Cheers to all.
Old 11-11-18, 07:19 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by gompka
Just don't take no for an answer from the dealership, escalate it to the manager and or to Lexus corporate customer service. They definitely shouldn't be oxidizing. We have a 2016 and the rails look fine, but its mostly kept in the garage and doesn't spend much time outside. Not sure if that would matter or not, seems like there is an issue with the coating on yours. I had a similar issue with the wheels on my is350, the powdercoat started bubbling after 2 winters.
Don't escalate to dealership manager. They are franchise, they are all in on it.
Don't go for emailing Lexus or calling. You will get dumb email back or runaround from a voice on the phone.
Go to dealer and ask for Lexus Area Manager contact. That person actually works for Lexus and supervises all of his area dealerships. He does not want bad rep for Lexus and does not care about dealership politics.