NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Disconnecting tailgate subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-18, 07:47 PM
wvuong
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know whether it's viable to upgrade your 8 speaker setup (NX F-Sport Series 1) to the 10 speaker option without upgrading anything else? Are there provisions for you to just plug in an additional speaker per rear door and buying new door-cards with the speaker in-lay?

Last edited by wvuong; 11-03-18 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-04-18, 05:19 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wvuong
Does anyone know whether it's viable to upgrade your 8 speaker setup (NX F-Sport Series 1) to the 10 speaker option without upgrading anything else? Are there provisions for you to just plug in an additional speaker per rear door and buying new door-cards with the speaker in-lay?
i’ve never heard the 8 speaker system in the NX, but i personally don’t think it would be worth the time and effort to convert to the 10 speaker system as you won’t be blown away with the sound quality.
Old 11-12-18, 05:33 AM
Mudbrick
Driver School Candidate

Default Sub in Tailgate

I installed a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 in the hatch along with a Kicker Amp. External volume control as well. Did it myself. A bit of modding, but it sounds pretty good. Replaced all speakers. A must. NEED APPLE PLAY UPDATE. CALL LEXUS AND LET THEM KNOW!!!
Old 11-12-18, 09:40 AM
Djkb
Driver School Candidate

Was the pioneer sub a direct replacement for the hatch and what speakers did you use for your other replacements?

Im still deciding on which route to take taking in all the info from the Lexus Nx family !!
Old 11-12-18, 09:43 AM
Djkb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeVJ
I bought Focal sub(s) to replace the stock sub (they're sold in pairs, so I have an extra). I bought Kicker CS series (6 3/4" for both front and rear). And I bought Rockford Fosgate Prime for the dash.
I will do my best to apply the dynamat extreme and then see how well aftermarket speakers perform with the stock head unit and stock amplifier. I am 'guardedly' optimistic. The head unit and amplifier are 'HUGE' components of the overall system. I'm leaving them 'stock'. Hoping for small improvements - but fearing I'll be dissappointed. Let's see.

any additional updates on your installation ?
Old 11-12-18, 10:57 AM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Mudbrick
I installed a Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 in the hatch along with a Kicker Amp. External volume control as well. Did it myself. A bit of modding, but it sounds pretty good. Replaced all speakers. A must. NEED APPLE PLAY UPDATE. CALL LEXUS AND LET THEM KNOW!!!
how did you remove the hatch trim panel? i can’t figure out how to get it off.
Old 11-12-18, 11:44 AM
MikeVJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Djkb

any additional updates on your installation ?
Not yet unfortunately, I've been busy the last 2 weekends. And I'm hoping to finish organizing my garage, so the NX will fit inside. I'd much prefer to do the work indoors this time of year. Will make progress soon I hope.
Old 11-13-18, 11:43 AM
Djkb
Driver School Candidate

No problem, I’ll await your results.... again, good luck !!
Old 01-19-19, 08:10 AM
Djkb
Driver School Candidate

Hi, Would anyone know the nearest remote/ignition live I can tap into within the trunk battery area of the 300h?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-20-19, 06:18 AM
ramses974
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeVJ
I bought Focal sub(s) to replace the stock sub (they're sold in pairs, so I have an extra). I bought Kicker CS series (6 3/4" for both front and rear). And I bought Rockford Fosgate Prime for the dash.
I will do my best to apply the dynamat extreme and then see how well aftermarket speakers perform with the stock head unit and stock amplifier. I am 'guardedly' optimistic. The head unit and amplifier are 'HUGE' components of the overall system. I'm leaving them 'stock'. Hoping for small improvements - but fearing I'll be dissappointed. Let's see.

i do not understand what you have done :
1) the focal ISU séries are woofers not subwoofer ,sure they will tend to the subwoofer but they are not designed for subwoofer and in the small place in the trunk
2)why a lot of coaxial speaker??
i can understand for the 3/4 rockford but for the other 6" i don't

Old 01-20-19, 06:19 AM
ramses974
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi, Would anyone know the nearest remote/ignition live I can tap into within the trunk battery area of the 300h?

Thanks in advance
Hi do not know if you have the 12v socket in the trunk, it is the nearest remote / ignition live you can use
Old 01-20-19, 11:24 AM
Djkb
Driver School Candidate

No I don’t, that’s a real shame. Looks like I’ll have to use a LoC with remote out to turn on my active sub.
I’ve also had a problem with the subwoofer output from the mark Levinson amp. I’ve tapped into the cables supplying the tailgate sub, but my active subwoofer will not sense and turn on with the auto turn on feature via this tapping.

If I slave In a 12v remote feed the active subwoofer works fine. Has anyone else here had such a problem?
Old 01-20-19, 12:46 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

No I don’t, that’s a real shame. Looks like I’ll have to use a LoC with remote out to turn on my active sub.
I’ve also had a problem with the subwoofer output from the mark Levinson amp. I’ve tapped into the cables supplying the tailgate sub, but my active subwoofer will not sense and turn on with the auto turn on feature via this tapping.

If I slave In a 12v remote feed the active subwoofer works fine. Has anyone else here had such a problem?
Did your NX come equipped with Mark Levinson or did you install the ML amp yourself?
Old 01-21-19, 01:12 PM
Djkb
Driver School Candidate

It came equipped with the full 12 speaker Mark Levinson Audio, but just not happy with the bottom end.
Old 01-21-19, 05:13 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

It came equipped with the full 12 speaker Mark Levinson Audio, but just not happy with the bottom end.
I didn't realize the Mark Levinson Audio was an option in the NX.

Quick Reply: Disconnecting tailgate subwoofer?