NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Disconnecting tailgate subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-18, 07:38 AM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

thanks for the photos and the information, that set up looks great. i am now planning to get a subwoofer but i don’t want to deal with all the wiring, i was quoted $1450 for a sub and amp installed at my local car audio shop. is that a reasonable price?

Last edited by Danny200t; 10-31-18 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-31-18, 07:51 AM
digidoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny200t
thanks for the photos and the information, that set up looks great. i am now planning to get a subwoofer but i don’t want to deal with all the wiring, i was quoted $1450 for a sub and amp installed at my local car audio shop. is that a reasonable price?
I have always installed my own equipment so I don't have a good idea of what installation prices are. What sub and amp does that include?
Old 10-31-18, 07:56 AM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by digidoc
I have always installed my own equipment so I don't have a good idea of what installation prices are. What sub and amp does that include?
these were on the quote:
JL Audio BassWedge
JL AUDIO RD500/1 CLASS D AMPLIFIER
AudioControl LC2i 2 Channel Line Out Converter with AccuBASS and Subwoofer Control
JL Audio RBC1 Remote Bass Control

thanks.
Old 10-31-18, 08:20 AM
digidoc
Driver School Candidate

these were on the quote:
JL Audio BassWedge
JL AUDIO RD500/1 CLASS D AMPLIFIER
AudioControl LC2i 2 Channel Line Out Converter with AccuBASS and Subwoofer Control
JL Audio RBC1 Remote Bass Control

thanks.
That's about $700 worth of equipment plus power and misc other cables (around $200) so $900 plus tax. That leaves somewhere around $400 - $500 for labor. Like I said, I'm not sure what installation rates are so I won't comment on that. The AudioControl LC2i is not needed (saves $100) because the JL RD500/1 accepts speaker level inputs. You would just need a speaker wire to RCA adapter which is made by JL and can be found at the following link JL Audio Speaker Wire - RCA Adapter

Personally I really like JL Audio equipment and think you ought to be very happy with this setup.
Old 10-31-18, 08:33 AM
digidoc
Driver School Candidate

Also, I would have them adjust the low-pass crossover with you sitting in the car listening. It should end up somewhere between 80-100 Hz.
Old 10-31-18, 10:50 AM
Djkb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dan, where are they planning on fitting the sub? Only just noticed the enclosure 🙈

Last edited by Djkb; 10-31-18 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-31-18, 12:49 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by digidoc
That's about $700 worth of equipment plus power and misc other cables (around $200) so $900 plus tax. That leaves somewhere around $400 - $500 for labor. Like I said, I'm not sure what installation rates are so I won't comment on that. The AudioControl LC2i is not needed (saves $100) because the JL RD500/1 accepts speaker level inputs. You would just need a speaker wire to RCA adapter which is made by JL and can be found at the following link JL Audio Speaker Wire - RCA Adapter

Personally I really like JL Audio equipment and think you ought to be very happy with this setup.
okay thanks, also have you noticed any noises from the panels from taking them off and on? thanks
Old 10-31-18, 12:52 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Djkb
Hey Dan, where are they planning on fitting the sub? Only just noticed the enclosure ��
they asked if i wanted a custom box for a spare tire subwoofer but that was a bit out of my price range, so i am planning to go with just a conventional sub woofer in the trunk. i will probably choose a smaller one because the NX already has small trunk and the box will take up half of the room.

Last edited by Danny200t; 10-31-18 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-31-18, 02:21 PM
digidoc
Driver School Candidate

they asked if i wanted a custom box for a spare tire subwoofer but that was a bit out of my price range, so i am planning to go with just a conventional sub woofer in the trunk. i will probably choose a smaller one because the NX already has small trunk and the box will take up half of the room.
I just wanted to mention another option is the JL Audio Microsub as featured in this post Microsub Just another option that wouldn't take up any floor space and you get to keep the spare tire. You sacrifice a bit on the sub though so you would have to decide which is more important, subwoofer sound quality and volume vs trunk space.
Old 10-31-18, 02:22 PM
digidoc
Driver School Candidate

okay thanks, also have you noticed any noises from the panels from taking them off and on? thanks
Not any more than was already there.
The following users liked this post:
Danny200t (11-01-18)
Old 11-01-18, 12:37 PM
MikeVJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribing to this thread. I have the same issue - overall sound system sounds pretty good (I have the 'upgraded' 10 speaker system). But the sub sounds way too boomy and vibrates the tailgate when the bass setting is 1 click up past 50%. I just bought new speakers (all 10) and 36 square feet of dynamat. I'll follow along with this thread (and might start my own w pics). Good Luck, Danny I hope your project works out well whichever course you decide.
The following users liked this post:
Danny200t (11-01-18)
Old 11-01-18, 07:44 PM
digidoc
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MikeVJ
Subscribing to this thread. I have the same issue - overall sound system sounds pretty good (I have the 'upgraded' 10 speaker system). But the sub sounds way too boomy and vibrates the tailgate when the bass setting is 1 click up past 50%. I just bought new speakers (all 10) and 36 square feet of dynamat. I'll follow along with this thread (and might start my own w pics). Good Luck, Danny I hope your project works out well whichever course you decide.
What speakers did you use as replacements?
Old 11-02-18, 10:07 PM
MikeVJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought Focal sub(s) to replace the stock sub (they're sold in pairs, so I have an extra). I bought Kicker CS series (6 3/4" for both front and rear). And I bought Rockford Fosgate Prime for the dash.
I will do my best to apply the dynamat extreme and then see how well aftermarket speakers perform with the stock head unit and stock amplifier. I am 'guardedly' optimistic. The head unit and amplifier are 'HUGE' components of the overall system. I'm leaving them 'stock'. Hoping for small improvements - but fearing I'll be dissappointed. Let's see.

The following 2 users liked this post by MikeVJ:
ching2 (11-03-18), Djkb (11-03-18)
Old 11-03-18, 07:14 AM
ching2
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeVJ
I bought Focal sub(s) to replace the stock sub (they're sold in pairs, so I have an extra). I bought Kicker CS series (6 3/4" for both front and rear). And I bought Rockford Fosgate Prime for the dash.
I will do my best to apply the dynamat extreme and then see how well aftermarket speakers perform with the stock head unit and stock amplifier. I am 'guardedly' optimistic. The head unit and amplifier are 'HUGE' components of the overall system. I'm leaving them 'stock'. Hoping for small improvements - but fearing I'll be dissappointed. Let's see.

Good luck.

Post some installation pics if you can.
Old 11-03-18, 03:09 PM
Djkb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes a definite good luck!! and would like to know the results especially with the sub replacement.

Does anyone know if you can adjust the gains on the stock amp. Channels Independently ? I think that would also improve the overall performance tremendously. Just a thought...

Quick Reply: Disconnecting tailgate subwoofer?