NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dash speaker upgraded :D

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-18, 08:38 AM
Phillly
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dash speaker upgraded :D

Didn't like the stock stereo that much and searched around for ideas. Turned out they really saved cost on the speakers.

Bought the infinity 4" 4022cfx because I read a few threads where people have fitted them.

That didn't work for me, at least not without cutting or really pushing the speaker against something.(Will explain later)

Searched for something with lower mounting depth.

Bought the punch 3.5" p132 by Fosgate in stead and allow me to show you why I'm much happier now.

Here is the process

Use plastic tool to pry open the cover, nothing special here and flat head works too but plastic is much safer.

Here is what I was talking about. Picture shows what is under the stock speaker. There are plastic pieces beneath both sides that would not allow speakers like the 4022 with a taller mounting depth

Size comparison, stock, p132 and 4022cfx,

Tada! Seems like a much better fit than most 4" speakers. I should add that not only the 4022 would be pushing against things on the bottom, the opening is not exactly big enough for it. You would need to slightly trim the surrounding plastic for the speaker not to rub against the plastic and I was not about to take a razor blade to my NX.

As for wiring, I bought the connectors for toyota rav4 thinking that would work and nope it didn't. I was able to salvage everything other than the plastic connector. The leads are all compatible but the plastic connector. I simply ditch the plastic part and put the leads in the right female part. No positive locking but I think it will be alright for now. You can find wiring info here on the forum too.

I have always like the idea of upgrading audio in cars but honestly didn't know exactly what would come out of it, but allow me to tell you what I have noticed with the new speakers so far, that is, words are a lot more clear than stock speakers which was one of my major complain prior to upgrading. I'm not sure if it's because of the addition of the tweeters or because of the better constructed speaker.

At forty some bucks, I think it's a upgrade worth doing. Hope you find this helpful
The following 5 users liked this post by Phillly:
ching2 (09-28-18), elau2000 (10-22-18), jonnyyaa (10-22-18), MikeVJ (09-30-18), nigel821 (10-17-18)
Old 09-28-18, 07:43 AM
ching2
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for this. I'm also trying to look for ways to upgrade the so-called "premium sound" without breaking the bank. Now, time to take a look into the subwoofers.
Old 09-28-18, 07:23 PM
Phillly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ching2
Thanks for this. I'm also trying to look for ways to upgrade the so-called "premium sound" without breaking the bank. Now, time to take a look into the subwoofers.
I decided to do some sound deadening after speaker installation and can report that the speakers in the front door seemed descent. It has silvery pp cone and very similar to pioneer unit suggested in another thread.

I did the dash ones first after seeing the stock paper cone speakers in other threads. Now I think I will be happy with some proper sound deadening the in the front doors. That should improve bass and overall nvh
Old 09-29-18, 02:17 PM
ching2
Driver School Candidate

Great! What sound deadening material did you use?
Old 09-29-18, 09:05 PM
Phillly
Driver School Candidate

Great! What sound deadening material did you use?
Mine was a sandwich of butyl rubber, foil and closed cell foam. There should be many different brands out there.
Old 09-29-18, 10:05 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Now there are some speakers made to the Dolby Atmos specs.
Old 10-01-18, 08:08 AM
ching2
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by Phillly
Mine was a sandwich of butyl rubber, foil and closed cell foam. There should be many different brands out there.
Great. Thanks for the inputs. Keep them coming.
Old 10-01-18, 08:09 AM
ching2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
Now there are some speakers made to the Dolby Atmos specs.
Too expensive maybe? Does the OEM HU support these speakers?
Old 10-03-18, 07:35 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts

Wow that stock speaker is tiny in comparison to what you installed. What sound system did you have in the nx prior? IE: I thought there was a difference from base to different packages depending on premium/luxury w/wo Navi...etc.

I wouldn't mind doing this to the wife's nx. Seems like a super simple and easy mod.

-Nigel
Old 10-03-18, 11:43 PM
Phillly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nigel821
Wow that stock speaker is tiny in comparison to what you installed. What sound system did you have in the nx prior? IE: I thought there was a difference from base to different packages depending on premium/luxury w/wo Navi...etc.

I wouldn't mind doing this to the wife's nx. Seems like a super simple and easy mod.

-Nigel
Yes, it's super easy to do and I would recommend this to anyone who cares about audio but doesn't want to break the bank and maybe wants an one hour project.

I actually don't know what trim my car is but it should be the most basic audio system without center dash speaker.

I simply went from stock paper cone to Fosgate's mineral injected pp cone with tweeter.
Old 10-04-18, 12:09 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

IN any audio system speakers are most important part. Often people make wrong decision buying good amplifier but buying El Cheapo speakers with left over changes. It should be the other way around. Speaker costing hundreds of $$ is not uncommon. Sky is the only limit.
Old 10-17-18, 09:15 AM
nigel821
Racer

I just ordered these speakers. Should have them next week.

As far as wiring it should only be two wires right? I asked because you mentioned wiring above and said there are threads about it but it shouldn't be hard... Which wires did you connect to the speaker in terms of color. Just want to make sure I get the +/- right. Do you have navigation? I ask because I was just on crutchfields site and w/navi they are saying no speakers fit...lol

Thanks,
-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 10-17-18 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-18-18, 09:42 AM
Phillly
Driver School Candidate

As far as wiring it should only be two wires right? I asked because you mentioned wiring above and said there are threads about it but it shouldn't be hard... Which wires did you connect to the speaker in terms of color. Just want to make sure I get the +/- right. Do you have navigation? I ask because I was just on crutchfields site and w/navi they are saying no speakers fit...lol

Thanks,
-Nigel
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...o-upgrade.html

this thread has pictures showing the positive and negative

Just follow that and you will be alright

maybe the site is referring to the other two wires on the same harness that will not be connected when you are done

but like you mentioned, with positive and negative, your music will work just fine

Let us know how it works for ya

Old 10-18-18, 10:01 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Thanks,
-Nigel
Just make sure to maintain phasing for all speakers when you connect those two wires.

Old 10-18-18, 10:56 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by Phillly
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...o-upgrade.html

this thread has pictures showing the positive and negative

Just follow that and you will be alright

maybe the site is referring to the other two wires on the same harness that will not be connected when you are done

but like you mentioned, with positive and negative, your music will work just fine

Let us know how it works for ya
I'm wondering what are the other two wires? All other speakers I've hooked up have only had two connections so I'm wondering why Lexus/Toyota is using 4 wires to the speaker that is already there?

Originally Posted by Htony
Just make sure to maintain phasing for all speakers when you connect those two wires.
What exactly does that mean? I've only connected speakers using two wires so I am wondering why would the little speaker use 4 wires?

Thanks,
-Nigel

Quick Reply: Dash speaker upgraded :D