Dash speaker upgraded :D

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 02:50 PM
ching2
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by nigel821
I'm wondering what are the other two wires? All other speakers I've hooked up have only had two connections so I'm wondering why Lexus/Toyota is using 4 wires to the speaker that is already there?

What exactly does that mean? I've only connected speakers using two wires so I am wondering why would the little speaker use 4 wires?

Thanks,
-Nigel
Post your progress Nigel. If you can have pictures/video install, much better! Cheers!
Old 10-19-18, 03:05 AM
ramses974
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

do a search , all have been alredy explained and done
Old 10-19-18, 02:40 PM
ching2
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ramses974
Yep, I have been following your posts even before, very informative. Main difference is, you're a certified audiophile. I'm just an old guy who likes better sound without any experience or know how to do this. Youtube videos sometimes does not do justice and are not very specific to the NX.
Old 10-22-18, 05:39 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 749 Likes on 466 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by ramses974
So from what I researched phasing means you want the speaker doing the same thing. IE: Not having one speaker +/-, and then the other speaker -/+. That makes sense.

The 4 wire question I have seems to be that two of the wires go into the tweeter and the other two go the door speaker. This seems correct right?
The one question I have then since there are 4 wires in the connector and the new connector obviously will not fit onto the new speaker once it arrives. Does the connector/speaker terminate at the old tweeter or use that for anything or do the wires simply do a pass through?

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 10-22-18, 06:29 AM
digidoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wiring Diagram

So from what I researched phasing means you want the speaker doing the same thing. IE: Not having one speaker +/-, and then the other speaker -/+. That makes sense.

The 4 wire question I have seems to be that two of the wires go into the tweeter and the other two go the door speaker. This seems correct right?
The one question I have then since there are 4 wires in the connector and the new connector obviously will not fit onto the new speaker once it arrives. Does the connector/speaker terminate at the old tweeter or use that for anything or do the wires simply do a pass through?

Thanks,
-Nigel
See Post #5 in this thread Stereo Upgrade and it shows which wires you need to use and that you will need to cut the wires from the harness. The other two wires do not go to the other speaker, they go to the telematics transceiver as shown in the following diagram (note speaker assembly in the Red box).

Old 10-22-18, 06:32 AM
digidoc
Driver School Candidate

And here is another diagram showing the same speaker assembly with the color codes and corresponding polarities.

Old 10-22-18, 04:14 PM
jonnyyaa
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

so the punch 3.5" p132 by Fosgate is easier to install than the other infinity speaker - nice to know. Is it sonically better or similar in audio quality? I would assume both are much better than the stock dash speakers. I noticed the Fosgate is rated 20RMS/40max wattage, any idea what the original paper cones were rated at? Has anyone else done the speaker change yet?
Old 10-22-18, 04:21 PM
jonnyyaa
Driver

yes - pls do - I am interested in doing this too!
Old 10-23-18, 05:19 AM
Phillly
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonnyyaa
so the punch 3.5" p132 by Fosgate is easier to install than the other infinity speaker - nice to know. Is it sonically better or similar in audio quality? I would assume both are much better than the stock dash speakers. I noticed the Fosgate is rated 20RMS/40max wattage, any idea what the original paper cones were rated at? Has anyone else done the speaker change yet?
Since I will be not be replacing my stock amp which probably isn't all that powerful in terms of wattage, so I took a guess and it seems to work pretty well.

If you look around, a lot of the speakers designed for stock headunits are all in the same ball park wattage.

As for the fitment, the 3.5" p132 is a much better fit. I learnt that the hard way and I have a set of brand new 4" infinity laying around because of that XD

sound quality wise, the addition of tweeter really made a difference for me
Old 10-23-18, 05:31 AM
Phillly
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks,
-Nigel
The stock speakers do not have tweeters built in

You only need to connect the plus and the minus. The new speaker has filter in there to take care of both the mid range and high for the tweeter.
Old 10-23-18, 01:09 PM
elau2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about this Rockford-Fosgate speaker? According to Cruthfield it is a replacement for the dash speakers. It has a $15.00 Rebate.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R14...ate-R14X2.html
Old 10-24-18, 12:15 PM
jonnyyaa
Driver

I wonder which fosgate is better quality - the p132 is 3 1/2 " and rated at 20RMS and more expensive. The r14x2 is 4" and rated at 30rms and yest it is cheaper. Am I right in assuming the p132 is a better quality speaker?
Old 10-24-18, 12:43 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 749 Likes on 466 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by digidoc
See Post #5 in this thread Stereo Upgrade and it shows which wires you need to use and that you will need to cut the wires from the harness. The other two wires do not go to the other speaker, they go to the telematics transceiver as shown in the following diagram (note speaker assembly in the Red box).

Thank you for the information! I checked out the thread. I see where he cut the two wires from the white 4 pin connector. I have not removed the grill yet to inspect the speaker so I will ask another stupid question. Does the connector terminate at the stock speaker? IE: Once you cut the two -/+ wire from the 4 pin connector the two will go into the new speaker. Where does the white connector then go? It used to plug into the stock speaker so how does that work in terms of telematics transceiver? Again, figured I'd ask the stupid questions because for some reason it's not necessary clicking in terms of where that would go. I've installed car stereos, remote start...etc. So wiring I can understand for the most part, just wanted to figure it out 100% before doing anything incorrectly.

Thanks again,
-Nigel
Old 10-24-18, 08:03 PM
digidoc
Driver School Candidate

Honestly it's a really good question that you ask. I'm not exactly sure about how the wires terminate, but I do know that I have mine completely disconnected (I ran all new speaker wire) and it works beautifully. You should be fine leaving the harness disconnected and connecting the speaker wires directly to the new speaker.
Old 10-28-18, 05:55 PM
elau2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intalled Mine Today

Installed my Rockford Fosgate R14X2 that were ordered from Crutchield. Thanks to Philly and the rest of the contributors to this thread.

Last edited by elau2000; 10-28-18 at 05:56 PM. Reason: misspelling

Quick Reply: Dash speaker upgraded :D