NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Wtf?!?!/!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-18, 12:27 PM
jaybarbara
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wtf?!?!/!?!

I leased a 2019 Lexus nx300 a couple of weeks ago.I have been a car nut for 70 (yes,70) years, and have owned classic cars for at least 25 years, as well as contemporary cars for the last 60years,so I thought I'd be able to just get in and go! I have never run across a more complex vehicle in my life! i realize my prized 67 Mustang 2+2 Fastback was crude compared to the newer cars, but this little beast has got me stumped! I tried to sit and just peruse the owner's manual---I never expected 3 manuals, one of which is as thick as the King James version of the Bible!
The amount of tech in this car is staggering! My wife swears she opened the rear door ((tailgate, to us old farts) and she said she passed her foot under the bumper and it opened, Well, the car doesn't HAVE a foot operated rear door, as far as I can see, but I'll be damned if it didn't open with my foot this afternoon!! The kicker (parden the pun) is that it wouldn't open again, no matter how many times I tried! So, I did what most red blooded car freak would do, I climbed under the back bumper and I can't find a sensor, but there IS what appears to be a plastic cover under there that is probably where the sensor would be if it were there. Nope, couldn't get a response.
Is it possible the wiring is there for the sensor and it was just a fluke that contact was made by both my wife and I at two separate times when we touched the bumper with our foot? Or are we both just slipping not so gracefully into old age?
OK, so I got the manual and tried to see just how to operate the rear door. ----- DAMN!!!!!! The operation of the REAR DOOR was printed from page 94 to 105!!!! Are they kidding???? What must the rest of the car's systems be like if it takes 11 pages to ouline how to operate a REAR DOOR???? GIIMIE A BREAK!!!!
Seriously, this thing is a technological miracle, but boy, is there a ton of stuff that's just plain unnecessary for a car to have!
Old 09-26-18, 04:43 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome! From your reaction, I take it you haven't experience a modern car from 2010+ . The features/tech in the NX are pretty standard-fair found in most mainstream cars nowadays.

I'd like to see your reaction with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assists enable on a highway drive!

Drive safe and enjoy your NX!
Old 09-27-18, 06:18 AM
jaybarbara
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

corradoMR2,
Thanks for the welcome! As you have probably figured out, my post was 99% tongue-in-cheek, with just enough left to be a real gripe! I do like the car, I have had 2 ES350's in the last 5 years, and there is a BIG difference in them and the NX! Not fair to compare them as they are two different type cars for two different purposes. Both are very good in what they do, although what they do is very different from each other.
I guess my main gripe is that I am a technology moron, with a basic inability to think the way techno-nerds think!!! Nothing against them, it's my problem, not theirs! I just can't seem to get from A to B to C to D the way you have to to understand what the hell is going on! Just old age, I guess.
My time ended when the old Rochester 4 bbl. carb went the way of the dinosaur! When engines started to resemble a suitcase when the hood is raised is when i got off the triain! But I'll keep trying!!!
Thanks again!
Jay
Old 09-27-18, 06:33 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The sensor is directly 6 o clock down from the license plate. It is under the bumper and protective plastics so you won't see it. That being said, the sensor is looking for an object coming towards it then away. Make your kick straight up and then straight down. Don't hold your foot against the bumper, just up then down. Do not put too much thought into this, that usually leads to messing up. lol. Also, make sure your key is on you person or it will not work.
Best of luck, if you have any other questions about the tech just come back to this thread. I can guide you to youtube videos and electronic manuals.

I hope this is a enjoyable adventure into tech and not a tedious one.
Old 09-27-18, 01:57 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybarbara
corradoMR2,
Thanks for the welcome! As you have probably figured out, my post was 99% tongue-in-cheek, with just enough left to be a real gripe! I do like the car, I have had 2 ES350's in the last 5 years, and there is a BIG difference in them and the NX! Not fair to compare them as they are two different type cars for two different purposes. Both are very good in what they do, although what they do is very different from each other.
I guess my main gripe is that I am a technology moron, with a basic inability to think the way techno-nerds think!!! Nothing against them, it's my problem, not theirs! I just can't seem to get from A to B to C to D the way you have to to understand what the hell is going on! Just old age, I guess.
My time ended when the old Rochester 4 bbl. carb went the way of the dinosaur! When engines started to resemble a suitcase when the hood is raised is when i got off the triain! But I'll keep trying!!!
Thanks again!
Jay
You can do what I do, learn the few essential systems and enjoy the car. Then, every now and then, pick one of the newer systems and learn it. Eventually, you’ll get most of it figured out. 😀😀