NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX Car Paint Cracking

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-18, 10:55 PM
wolfman001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NX Car Paint Cracking

Hi there, I have a 2016 NX 200t that I purchase new a little over 2 years ago. Today, I noticed a spot about the size of a quarter on my front hood that shows paint cracking. Is this normal to see paint cracking so soon? Could this be a bad paint job from the manufacturer? Would the dealer be able to help fix this if it is? Thanks

Last edited by wolfman001; 09-24-18 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 09-23-18, 06:16 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

No, this is not normal.

Often, cracks that develop in paint are the result of improperly done paint repairs. Even with cars that are bought new, it is not uncommon for paint repairs to have been done as a result of damage done during transport or while they are on the dealer's lot. Without being able to actually see the cracking that you are talking about, I can't say that this is what happened in your case, but it is a possibility.

Impact from a stone or other object can cause cracking, too, but, from you description, it doesn't sound like that is the case on your car.

Can you post a picture?
The following users liked this post:
ukrkoz (09-23-18)
Old 09-23-18, 08:05 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

What he says^^^^
I know well a guy who worked as a body tech for local Toyota dealer. Transportation damage was normal issue.
You bought the car new, right?
Old 09-23-18, 03:26 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Think back if you might have had a bird dropping. If it sat there for a while baking in the sun, it could have etched the clearcoat, weakened the paint, and now cracked...

Good luck.
Old 09-23-18, 05:57 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Lexus should be able to take care of it at no charge,
Old 09-24-18, 03:51 PM
wolfman001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lesz
No, this is not normal.

Often, cracks that develop in paint are the result of improperly done paint repairs. Even with cars that are bought new, it is not uncommon for paint repairs to have been done as a result of damage done during transport or while they are on the dealer's lot. Without being able to actually see the cracking that you are talking about, I can't say that this is what happened in your case, but it is a possibility.

Impact from a stone or other object can cause cracking, too, but, from you description, it doesn't sound like that is the case on your car.

Can you post a picture?
I just updated my post with a picture. I don't think its from impact or bird dropping. I usually have a car cover over it during the weekdays when its not in use.
Old 09-24-18, 03:52 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

That is not bird poo damage. Poo does caverns. Looks awfully like cracking bondo to me.
Old 09-24-18, 03:53 PM
wolfman001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by crankshaft
Lexus should be able to take care of it at no charge,
I hope so, I plan on calling up the Lexus dealer that I purchased it from, if this is not normal.

Last edited by wolfman001; 09-24-18 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-24-18, 04:07 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wolfman001
I just updated my post with a picture. I don't think its from impact or bird dropping. I usually have a car cover over it during the weekdays when its not in use.
Thanks for posting the picture.

What I wanted to see was the nature of the cracks.

If it was from impact, I'd expect to see a single crack or, maybe, a couple of cracks. The spider web-like look is more consistent with what happens when repainting is done without carefully and properly preparing the surface. As I suggested in my post earlier in the thread, I suspect that there was transport damage or damage done on the lot and that the dealer just did a quick repair.

While I would guess with confidence that the panel was repainted (poorly), I also won't be surprised if the dealer gives you a hard time about doing a proper repair. My suggestion would be, before going to the dealer, to make a stop at a body shop and to have them check the paint with a paint depth gauge. If the paint is thicker than it should be, that would be a definite indication that the panel was re-painted, and, if you know that for sure, that would take away the dealer's likely excuse that the paint was cracking because of some environmental contaminant or because of something you did to the car.

If the dealer does not give you a satisfactory response, you should request the intervention from someone from Lexus corporate and to have that person examine the car and make a recommendation.

Also, what color is the vehicle?
Old 09-24-18, 04:15 PM
wolfman001
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for posting the picture.

What I wanted to see was the nature of the cracks.

If it was from impact, I'd expect to see a single crack or, maybe, a couple of cracks. The spider web-like look is more consistent with what happens when repainting is done without carefully and properly preparing the surface. As I suggested in my post earlier in the thread, I suspect that there was transport damage or damage done on the lot and that the dealer just did a quick repair.

While I would guess with confidence that the panel was repainted (poorly), I also won't be surprised if the dealer gives you a hard time about doing a proper repair. My suggestion would be, before going to the dealer, to make a stop at a body shop and to have them check the paint with a paint depth gauge. If the paint is thicker than it should be, that would be a definite indication that the panel was re-painted, and, if you know that for sure, that would take away the dealer's likely excuse that the paint was cracking because of some environmental contaminant or because of something you did to the car.

If the dealer does not give you a satisfactory response, you should request the intervention from someone from Lexus corporate and to have that person examine the car and make a recommendation.

Also, what color is the vehicle?
Thank you for the suggestion. The color of the vehicle is Silver Lining Metallic, my favorite color.
Old 09-24-18, 04:42 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wolfman001
Thank you for the suggestion. The color of the vehicle is Silver Lining Metallic, my favorite color.
The reason why I asked about the color is because the Silver Lining Metallic is not the easiest color for which to get a good color match when repainting. Sometimes, if the area that needs to be repaired is very small, the shop can spot in new paint into the smaller area, blend it over a somewhat larger area, and, then, clear coat the entire panel. In other instances, to get an acceptable match with that color, it may require blending the new paint into adjacent panels.

Another thing that I would suggest is going to the Lexus Drivers website and entering your car's VIN number there. That will allow you to check the vehicle history. If there were any post-delivery repairs done to the car, they might be listed there, but that isn't always the case.
Old 09-24-18, 10:55 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,686 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I've seen that exact effect happen when the various layers of filler and paint were not allowed to cure before the next layers were applied.
Old 09-25-18, 07:32 PM
wolfman001
Driver School Candidate

The reason why I asked about the color is because the Silver Lining Metallic is not the easiest color for which to get a good color match when repainting. Sometimes, if the area that needs to be repaired is very small, the shop can spot in new paint into the smaller area, blend it over a somewhat larger area, and, then, clear coat the entire panel. In other instances, to get an acceptable match with that color, it may require blending the new paint into adjacent panels.

Another thing that I would suggest is going to the Lexus Drivers website and entering your car's VIN number there. That will allow you to check the vehicle history. If there were any post-delivery repairs done to the car, they might be listed there, but that isn't always the case.
I see, I didn't realize that Silver Lining Metallic was hard to get a good color match. I did visit the Lexus Driver website and there is no record of any repair done to the car in the vehicle history. Thanks for the suggestion, didn't even know that I can check my vehicle history like that.
Old 06-26-19, 06:11 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 440 Likes on 309 Posts

As others have stated, Lexus is very customer centric; I believe they will help.
That's what I meant when I posted to call the dealer; I apologize if it sounded flippant.
And I agree, if they did it, somebody knows something.

Finally, a good painter can do wonders.
There is a guy near me who does all the work for the high end dealers around Silicon Valley.
Last time I was there he was fixing a chip on an Aston Martin.... Sheesh!

Good luck.