NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Seat Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-18, 11:35 AM
csmcvay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Seat Comfort

Good afternoon - I currently have a 2014 IS250 and the bucket seats are killing my back. Already have significant back pain and of course they are making it worse. Sadly I didn't feel this level of pain when test driving, etc. I've only had the car a year. So now I've decided to pay it off early and get rid of it (trade it in) asap. I love the car but just can't deal with the horrid seats any longer. Long story short, how are the seats in the NX? Very comfortable - recommend for someone with back problems? I know I want an SUV, just trying to make up my mind. Of course, everyone is different but this is somewhere to start. Thanks very much.
Old 08-27-18, 12:31 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by csmcvay
Good afternoon - I currently have a 2014 IS250 and the bucket seats are killing my back. Already have significant back pain and of course they are making it worse. Sadly I didn't feel this level of pain when test driving, etc. I've only had the car a year. So now I've decided to pay it off early and get rid of it (trade it in) asap. I love the car but just can't deal with the horrid seats any longer. Long story short, how are the seats in the NX? Very comfortable - recommend for someone with back problems? I know I want an SUV, just trying to make up my mind. Of course, everyone is different but this is somewhere to start. Thanks very much.
I have an fsport which has different seats than the regular nx. I am 6' and 175lbs and I think the seats are really good. I took the car on a 5000 road trip recently and they worked out well. With that much time in the car, i did get uncomfortable when driving really long intervals, but I think that would be normal in most cars. They are many times more comfortable than the seats in my 2008 is350.
Old 08-27-18, 04:29 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Seats are absolutely impossible to seek someone else's opinion about. You just can't.
THE ONLY real way to find out is to have long term test drive. At least, couple hrs. Say, Mazda seat will kill circulation in my legs in about 40 minutes. Dodge takes 3-4 hrs, then it's absolutely painful.
Again, THE ONLY way to find for you, OP, is long term test drive. Do NOT rely on others opinions, everyone IS different.
If dealer does not want to allow test drive, too bad for them. Each time you do this trade in switcheroo of cars, YOU lose lots of money, not them.
Old 08-27-18, 04:41 PM
Suspendmix
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the F-Sport and I've always felt it was super comfortable, cushier than my 2008 MDX and more supportive than the 2015 Siena I traded in. Able to withstand 8 hours straight of driving without butt falling asleep. Wife doesn't like the side bolstering as much as it restricts where she can keep her leg. I test drove my father in law's NX300 that isn't F-Sport this weekend and I have to say, its a more comfortable seating (and ride for that matter), at least for the 10 minutes I drove it than my F-Sport but I've gotten used to my F-Sport that I'd miss the side bolstering. If I hadn't been driving the F-Sport for the past year, I'd probably give the nod to the non-F-Sport seats for initial comfort.
The following users liked this post:
csmcvay (08-28-18)
Old 08-27-18, 05:09 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts

I drove my NX200t for 5+ hours straight (till first gas stop) without any issues and the seat was perfect. NX F-sport seats were not as comfy for me, though, when I tested the car. But, as ukrkoz said, you must try to make your mind, everybody butt cut differently.

Last edited by Lex2000TL; 08-27-18 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-28-18, 08:15 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

This probably won't be much help, but I went from a 2008 IS250 (leather seats) to a 2017 NX200t (imitation leather). I had no problem with the IS250 seats, and find the NX seats to be at least as good.
Old 08-28-18, 10:11 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

i have back issues and love the NX FSport seats. I can use the side bolsters to massage and change positions.
The RX FSport seats are wider, so support not as good as NX.
csmcvay (08-28-18)
Old 08-28-18, 11:48 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree with ukrkoz above, every back is different and only you can determine if it will work for you. I also have back problems and find that the seats are very comfortable for me. We do not have the F-sport, we have the premium package of the NX200T.
Old 09-11-18, 12:25 PM
bmwmkc323i
Driver School Candidate

I have a 17' NX F-Sport as well, and have owned it for about 11 months now. After a month or so, I also realized I was having lower back pain as well. I'm 6'0 and was about 215 at the time of purchase. I only test drove the NX once and didnt think too much about the seat comfort. Actually my wife mentioned the seat looked to be on the small side for me too.

I knew the whole car itself looked small and felt small for my size but at the time, I liked the NX and thought it would be great to have for ski trips. But during driving, my left thigh and leg is on the edge of the left bottom of the seat, so it is uncomfortable and I have to move myself towards the right side at times to get comfortable so my thigh/leg is not on the edge. I've now lost about 20lbs, and that kinda helped but still I do get lower back pain on longer drives. I either have to lose more weight or somehow get rid of it. And next car I plan to buy, I will do a lot more test drives and make sure the seat is comfortable enough to my liking before purchasing it.
Old 09-11-18, 02:45 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The IS and the NX have almost exactly the same seats. F Sport seats on the NX are same as F Sport IS seats, but narrower. Same for non F Sport models.

NX F Sport:

IS F Sport:

NX regular:

IS regular:

Last edited by JDR76; 09-11-18 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-13-18, 02:42 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Seats are absolutely impossible to seek someone else's opinion about. You just can't.
I totally agree, but just to weigh-in on this thread, I wouldn't trade my '17 NX F-Sports seats for anything.

Years of back pain from sports and the military were always magnified on long trips in the various cars I've owned, but now with F-Sport seats I can drive 400+ miles and feel rested and relaxed at the destination.

6-2/195
Old 09-21-18, 02:08 AM
Mikenunb
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the '17 Rx f-sport. The side bolsters were too narrow and pushed on the sides of my back. Driving was pretty uncomfortable after not too long. I decided to try to modify the seat back. I took a piece of open cell egg crate foam and cut it to fit against the back, seat to shoulders. The egg cell bumps are against the seat so the side You sit against is smooth. Cut and tapered the edge to fit between the side bolsters and lay flat against the back. Since the seats are black, I covered the whole seat back with an xxl-long black tshirt. The head rest sticks up through the head hole and tucked the sleeves inside. By looking you can barely tell anything is there. But what a difference in comfort. Just put 1500 miles on in 4 days and the seat felt great. No pain whatsoever. And the open cell egg crate foam allowed the seat cooling air to come right through. I plan on taking the tshirt off, cutting the sleeves off and sewing up the arm holes. Also may sew up the head hole and just leave a couple of small holes for the headrest posts to go through. No longer regretting getting the f-sport because of the seats and no longer looking to replace these seats with the lux.

Last edited by Mikenunb; 09-21-18 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 09-21-18, 07:16 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Unfortunately, the seat comfort is my main issue with the F-sport. The bolstering is just too extreme for me. I am only 5’8” and about 165 pounds, so a little overweight but not terribly heavy. They are even worse for my wife who has wider hips. I like the grill much better. In my perfect world, they would offer an f-sport appearance package in a hybrid. They offer a hybrid f-sport in other countries, but they are probably still the f-sport seats. Perhaps someone here can answer that question.
Old 09-21-18, 10:42 PM
Mikenunb
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

TechNut. My solution has greatly improved the narrow bolsters on the back/sides problem. The same could probably be done to the seat to widen the space between the side bolsters. I'm going to look for a commercial seat cover that will look normal and hold the extra padding in place.
TechNut (09-22-18)
Old 03-31-19, 11:06 AM
aaLexus11
Driver School Candidate

Angry

I bought a new 2019 NX300 in end of February, 2019. This is my first Lexus - after having owned/driven a BMW X3 for 6+ years. The driver's seat is absolutely killing my back! So much, in fact, that after 4500 miles - I've decided to sell the new Lexus and get a different car (probably back to BMW). It seems that the NX300 seats are simply not designed for my body type/shape. (I'm 5' 11' - weight 140 lbs - and am in good physical shape. I don't have general aches and pains - and work out regularly).

The general problem, I think, is that the seat bottom is too soft near the back - and the lumbar support is too high (does not have vertical adjustment).

This is truly disappointing - and costly for me too. But, I spend a lot of time in my car - and can't drive a car that gives me constant back pain.

I test-drove the car for 30 minutes or so - and didn't really notice. It was only after I started driving consistently and for longer periods of time that I noticed this issue.

So - my recommendation is to test drive for an extended period of time! Drive for 1 hour or more!

As an aside - I also find that I need to drive with the center console cover open - as the height of the arm/elbow rest is way to high - and does not allow my right arm to naturally hang / rest while holding the steering wheel. This is also contributing to my desire to sell this car!

Quick Reply: Seat Comfort