NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Question for parents with NX F Sport

Old 08-14-18, 08:26 AM
ddvette9
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for parents with NX F Sport

I am looking to get my wife out of her Corolal and into a smaller SUV before my baby is born this December. I am on my second Lexus personally (IS250 then IS350) and the NX is on our short list for her next vehicle.

My question is directed to those parents whether mothers or fathers who use the NX daily with car seats, strollers, etc. How does it do. Do your strollers fit in the cargo area no problem? Did your standard size child car seat fit no problem? Does the fitment of a stroller and groceries in the back require half of the back seat to be put down to fit everything?

It is kind of hard to guess on this stuff before delivery and I can't really take strollers and groceries and car seats to a dealership for testing.

What about on a day when you have a stroller, groceries, car seat, and maybe beach chairs, etc.

I am interested to hear feed back. I know the vehicle is not meant to be a full size SUV but with only our first child coming I am hoping a smaller SUV will be good for the three of us. Wife, me and my kid.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-18, 09:19 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

We use an uppa baby vista stroller, which i would consider fairly large as well as a Chico Nextfit car seat. No problems with space. The stroller does take up a lot of storage space in the back because its fairly tall, but we are still able to go to costco and get groceries etc. Honestly, wish i had gotten something slightly bigger, but I don't love the rx so i made a compromise, its a little tight but it works.
The following users liked this post:
ukrkoz (08-26-18)
Old 08-23-18, 09:51 AM
DiscoMnky
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 2 kids and our 2016 nx200t F-Sport is my daily. 2 recaro boosters + 1 grandma in the back seat, 2 suitcases, 3 backpacks, 1 large duffle and 2 camping chairs... all the way from SF to LA to Vegas and back. No problem.

I also used it to pick up a brand new 40 gallon TALL water heater from Lowe's and 6 sticks of 8 ft long crown moulding for kitchen cabinet tops.
Old 08-26-18, 07:43 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

For any large/long items you will have to lower rear backrests. That means, you will have to remove seat every time.
We have RX350 with child seat in it. Even in RX it becomes crammed and awkward, as seat anchors are jesuitically hidden well in seat depths. Unless you simply rely on seat belt. Each time I have to undo them, it's finger breaking job.
And that's RX, which is a bit larger.
I have NX and I switched to it from Highlander Hybrid Limited and THAT is INDEED a family car. As I wish you well.
It is easy to buy a car. Rather hard to find out later that it was a mistake and "we should have'. I ride alone 98% time, so small interior of NX does not really bother me. But nothing beats Highlander capacity for a family in Toyota lineup. It is super well family oriented car. Even darn glasses holder (why it disappeared in NX?) has spherical mirror on its backside, allowing you to monitor rear seats while driving.
Old 08-26-18, 05:49 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I'll add something, as I don't want to leave impression of nagging *****.
Where is one child, two come very fast. Even for one, it takes lots of cargo to carry all the stuff, least to say - two. Blasphemous it is, Tahoe is a great family vehicle in that respect - large, roomy, SAFE. If you want to stick to Toyota - nothing wrong here - Highlander is family SUV. I can speak from personal experience. Having NX, RX, then before Highlander - and a grandson. And they are already thinking about 2nd child.
Old 08-27-18, 06:13 PM
Katrcf
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Our little trucklet (nx) has more than enough room for car seats and strollers. You would have to put the seat down for longer than normal items, but it’s easy to remove a car seat every now and then. Daily would be another story. Don’t forget there is a roof rack if ever needed for really big items, kayaks, bicycles or surfboards. The kids are gone, but the parents are here, so the nx fit the bill perfectly, whereas the RX was getting too big and pricey for what we needed.
Btw, you can, and should, take the strollers and everything with you for the test drive. How else are you going to know it fits? I do it with my open house signs and flags when I get a new company car!
Old 08-27-18, 08:58 PM
aztr0
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I have an Oxo Cubby+ stroller and it takes up most of the trunk once it is in. I have a trunk organizer in it as well. The car seat is fine. You can fit the car seat and an adult in the back, but if you want to fit 2 adults, it will be a tight fit.
Old 08-28-18, 10:21 AM
Suspendmix
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I only got my NX after my 2 kids were out of strollers and for good reason. Not sure if I could fit all the crap I used to lug around in the cargo as I could with my MDX, certainly not the joovy stroller I had. I have a small trunk organizer and I think I could fit my old Maclaren umbrella stroller behind it...but then I wouldn't really be able to do a costco run without taking out the stroller. Car seat/s should be fine, plenty of back seat room. Just a note if your kid spits up or heck even if he/she doesn't get a car seat cover. My 5 year old threw up in and it got all over the ventilated seats. I can tell you that trying to clean vomit out of the hundreds of little holes was God's punishment for my previous devious life. I would never want to do that again.
Old 09-12-18, 08:08 PM
HKS JZS161
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think with 1 child, the NX will work especially with strollers being smaller these days (last time I dealt with strollers was 3-4 years ago)...with 2 kids, its going to start getting hard, but mostly with the rear cargo room when you factor strollers or a double stroller and still doing a Costco trip. Backseat for car seats will be no problem. One aspect to consider too is the duration of ownership. If its a 3 year lease, you will probably be fine for the duration of the lease or the end of the lease will be around the corner if you need to go larger. If its a purchase, I guess it depends on how long you plan to own it.

FWIW, here's our SUV history
2004 RX330
-first kid
-Then second kid
worked fine, but could have used more cargo room for large Costco runs or long trips while having baby gear
2014 Highlander
-both kids in forward facing carseats/boosters
-fit 2 strollers or a double stroller
3rd row help with extra passengers and had cargo space galore..but often felt it was too big for daily use, especially when no longer using strollers
2017 NX200t
-only 1 kid in a backless booster now
-no stroller
perfect for our current stage...10yr and 6yr..no stroller, no diaper bags

Lastly...with our first kid, I still had an E46 M3 (coupe) and that worked fine for daily and non-large shopping/Costco trips.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-15-18, 01:37 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Here is a large costco run, two 20 lb bags of dirt, and an uppababy vista stroller. Chico next fit baby seat in the back and my wife in the back with the baby. Still plenty of room for a passenger.
Old 09-18-18, 12:31 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gompka
Here is a large costco run, two 20 lb bags of dirt, and an uppababy vista stroller. Chico next fit baby seat in the back and my wife in the back with the baby. Still plenty of room for a passenger.
Amazing how you neatly put everything into the trunk. Our's is always a damn mess!

For me, my NX is getting a bit small. With a stroller in the trunk, going on Costco runs are near impossible because we spend over $300 every time. Now if we know Costco is on the agenda, the stroller stays out of the car and we'll let out 2 year old walk. We keep a roadside emergency bag, portable potty for our potty trainer, heat shield, a couple books, and some baby wipes. Stroller is a Uppababy Vista or Uppababy Minu.

If money ain't a thing, I will switch to a rx450h in a flash.