NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Nuluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-18, 05:48 PM
Wineslayer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nuluxe?

Hi I'm about to buy a 2019 NX300, but I've never had a car with synthetic leather. I've narrowed it down to one with the nuluxe and one with leather. I'm just not sure if the extra $2.5k is worth the upgrade.

If you have the nuluxe, would you mind commenting on your thoughts? Would you buy nuluxe again or go back to leather?

Thank you!
Old 08-08-18, 06:58 PM
worldcat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think most people like the Nuluxe. I usually like real leather
Old 08-08-18, 07:52 PM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have nuluxe in my 2015 NX and like it. Stays clean and seems pretty tough while also being supple.
Old 08-09-18, 03:40 AM
geomike
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Leather all the way

Got 2018 nx sport. The look of nulux is fine but the leather feels more durable and more strong. The nulux feels more fragile.
Old 08-09-18, 10:55 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Many past Lexus with leather seats, currently have 2017 RX with leather.
2016 NX FSport has Nuluxe. Like Nuluxe better, since the creases on the drivers seat are practically non existent vs leather.
And each car I've had with leather has had a crease that turned into a tear....
Old 08-09-18, 02:08 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 691 Posts

The NuLuxe is actually a very good fake leather. While its "feel" is not as nice as that of the extra cost semi-aniline leather available on some Lexus models, it actually has a more supple feel than the standard leather available on Lexus models. Also, it has now been around long enough so that, if there were issues with long-term durability, we should have heard about them by now, and I haven't seen any complaints from those who have 5 and 6 year old Lexus vehicles with NuLuxe.

About the only complaint that I recall seeing about the NuLuxe is that some have said that it has a slight odor that some don't like.
Old 08-09-18, 05:18 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 697 Likes on 510 Posts

Both our current Lexus vehicles have NuLuxe and our past two had leather. The NuLuxe wears better since it doesn’t have the stretch lines like animal hides. NuLuxe has all the benefits of leather - it just doesn’t have that leather smell. I have not noticed any unusual smell from the NuLuxe. The bottom line is our last RX was developing stretch marks at 5K miles and neither of our NuLuxe cars have any such issues. I wouldn’t spend the extra if it is only to get leather.
Old 08-09-18, 06:09 PM
Koetsu
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Wineslayer
Hi I'm about to buy a 2019 NX300, but I've never had a car with synthetic leather. I've narrowed it down to one with the nuluxe and one with leather. I'm just not sure if the extra $2.5k is worth the upgrade.

If you have the nuluxe, would you mind commenting on your thoughts? Would you buy nuluxe again or go back to leather?

Thank you!
You might check to see if the leather seating areas are part of a Luxury package. If so, you are also getting real wood trim on the doors which is a definite upgrade from the plastic in the base model. Probably some other goodies in the $2.5k, as well. Nulux is good, but I still prefer leather, IMHO.
Old 08-09-18, 06:17 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Koetsu
You might check to see if the leather seating areas are part of a Luxury package. If so, you are also getting real wood trim on the doors which is a definite upgrade from the plastic in the base model. Probably some other goodies in the $2.5k, as well. Nulux is good, but I still prefer leather, IMHO.
Your post speaks to what, for me, might be the biggest downside of the NuLuxe, and that is that it is only available with lower-tiered packages on the various Lexus models, and, if you want the features of one of the higher-tiered packages, you have no choice except to have a leather (or, in some cases, semi-aniline leather) interior.
Old 08-09-18, 06:24 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

After many years of paying for leather "seating surfaces" and seeing the decline in the quality of the leather being used, I recently went to Nuluxe and so far I am pleased with it. My only other experience with fake leather was with a 1979 Mercedes with MB-Tex which also proved to be longer lasting than leather - no cracks or wrinkles.

As was was mentioned, with the luxury package you do usually get some other trim features that may be worth something to you.

Dave Mac.
Old 08-09-18, 07:52 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree that the Lexus leather of today does not wear as well as older generations. Many notice wrinkles much sooner (within months of new ownership). I was skeptical of NuLuxe when it first came out but have grown increasingly impressed with its suppleness and resistance to wrinkling. The older the Lexus is, the more you notice the advantages of NuLuxe. While I like the semi-aniline on our LS, I do have to pay more attention caring for it too. On an ES, NX, or RX I would rather pay more for NuLuxe if I could get it in the higher packages.
Old 08-10-18, 08:53 AM
CrazyChino
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I owned my car since 2016. MY nuluxe is really creased up after 1 year on the driver seat
Old 08-10-18, 02:00 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Wow, CrazyChino, that is disappointing to read. Can you please share a photo of how bad it is?
Old 08-10-18, 04:56 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

To the OP.

Having owned the CT, IS, and NX with Nuluxe as well as Lexus leather (2IS, RC F, multiple RXs), the Nuluxe is more durable and creases significantly less. It also looks and feels like real leather so personally, I have no issues if the Lexus comes with Nuluxe (or leather for that matter). I will care about the package/features I want, overlooking the seating material.

As for issues reported with Nuluxe, it is not common but can happen such as some buckling on the bottom seat cushion I have seen posted by IS owners here. However, getting this fixed via a warranty claim is easier than requesting a fix for creasing in leather which will be considered normal wear/tear.

Happy shopping!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 08-10-18 at 05:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GlenK (08-12-18)
Old 08-11-18, 05:59 AM
CrazyChino
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Wow, CrazyChino, that is disappointing to read. Can you please share a photo of how bad it is?

Quick Reply: Nuluxe?