NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

vent noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-18, 10:11 AM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Default vent noise

for a few months, sometimes when I start my car, I'll get this weird noise that I thought was a digital noise coming from the speakers, it's like a squealing noise

doesn't always happen, but seems to come and go in batches when starting (around the 11sec mark):

I had just brought it in for regular service and mentioned it. They couldn't reproduce it. When I got my car, I started it and got the noise. Turned it off, and on, no noise. I noticed my HVAC was off, so I hit the Auto button and got the noise. Started futzing with things and was able to reproduce by turning on the Front button, let that go for a few seconds, then turn it off and I'll get the noise. Doesn't seem to happen when it's cold though.

next service, they'll hopefully be able to take care of it. But does anyone know what "moves" when engaging/disengaging that button?

Last edited by typocl; 08-07-18 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-07-18, 11:45 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I get an annoying high pitched digital whine when the hvac is on auto sometimes, i can get rid of it by putting the fan either up a notch or down a notch. I'm guessing its probably the motor on the hvac blower and or the servo motors that control the vent flappers in the hvac. Usually if i just turn the radio up a notch or change the fan speed it goes away, so i won't go through the hassle of trying to explain it to the dealer.
Old 08-07-18, 07:41 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by gompka
I get an annoying high pitched digital whine when the hvac is on auto sometimes, i can get rid of it by putting the fan either up a notch or down a notch. I'm guessing its probably the motor on the hvac blower and or the servo motors that control the vent flappers in the hvac. Usually if i just turn the radio up a notch or change the fan speed it goes away, so i won't go through the hassle of trying to explain it to the dealer.
Me too! And I complain about it every single time I'm in for service. It's embarrassing that Lexus let a vehicle out with this crap, even my Rav4 doesn't have this noise.
Old 08-08-18, 12:44 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

My first thought was - blender door actuator or hinge. It somehow does not sound like fan.
Go back and show to Lexus service department. The videos.
Yes,I agree. It's Lexus, right? Supposed to be a luxury car.
Old 08-08-18, 05:13 PM
Tmymck
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Mine did it for awhile. Not doing it now
Old 08-08-18, 07:48 PM
typocl
Instructor

My main thing was documenting it while under warranty. I asked the service adviser to come back to the car and he heard it and would document it. Funny thing is, they can't go to youtube from the dealership, have to forward to personal acct's to watch it. The noise isn't the main concern. The concern is if something is going bad, I don't want to bring it to service after warranty when the vent doesn't work at all and be charged an arm and a leg.
Old 08-10-18, 08:14 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

My concern would have been - for the money I paid and for the fame Lexus is trying to build, why would I have to listen to any noises anywhere? I mean, in my 2005 Dodge RAM, I simply don't give a tail, it's fine as with all kinds of noises. But that's a truck from auction. Not Lexus.

You did shoot those videos with phone, didn't you? Not sure about the entire Youtube thing. Have it on phone, can email it, play it, text it...
Old 08-12-18, 04:56 PM
typocl
Instructor

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
My concern would have been - for the money I paid and for the fame Lexus is trying to build, why would I have to listen to any noises anywhere? I mean, in my 2005 Dodge RAM, I simply don't give a tail, it's fine as with all kinds of noises. But that's a truck from auction. Not Lexus.

You did shoot those videos with phone, didn't you? Not sure about the entire Youtube thing. Have it on phone, can email it, play it, text it...
yup, on my phone, I just assumed they'd be able to play it there, if not, they can figure out who/how to forward so it can be played.
Old 08-13-18, 06:59 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz

I'm sure I could spend all that time going back and forth between the dealer trying to explain to someone what the problem is and hoping that they can hear the same high frequency high pitched noise that i sometimes hear. Honestly, its not worth the hassle. Lexus does have a good reputation and a good warranty so if something bigger happens or the controls stop working, they will look at it then.
Old 09-11-18, 03:45 PM
gdcheng
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue. Was only able to replicate it in warmer weather. They ended up verifying that the noise was coming from the A/C heater box assembly. They removed the glove box and found the noise was present when mode select servo was operating. They lubricated all moving components associate with mode select. So far so good!