NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

RS-R or Tanabe lowering springs on F-Sport?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-18, 01:33 AM
Fsportdrvr
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RS-R or Tanabe lowering springs on F-Sport?

Trying to decided between the RS-R or the Tanabe lowering springs, I read one comparison that said the RS-R springs don't work well with the F-sport and that the Tanabe spring bottom out in the rear. Does anybody have any other feedback?

Also, do I need anything extra for the alignment? I see that SPC sells camber bolts for the front and camber arms for the rear? Are they required?

Thanks!
Old 08-01-18, 06:42 PM
oldwineguy
Lead Lap

Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a 300h, not a F-Sport, but it is AWD and am running the RS-R springs and have had no trouble with them at all. I am on 20x9 +35 AG M610s, with 255/45 tires. No camber bolts or plates were needed.
Old 08-02-18, 07:57 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts

oldwineguy,

I can't remember if I asked previously or not but can you post pictures of your NX lowered. I'm debating doing this to my wife's NX... I remember seeing pictures somewhere and I like how it took a some of the wheel gap away.. just wanted to see how your's looked.

Thanks,
-Nigel
Old 08-02-18, 07:22 PM
DYMZ007
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default NX200T lowered on rs-r down sus springs

Old 08-04-18, 01:33 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

My NF210 review, in context of previous RSR experience.

Pics on NF210:

NF210 after running board delete

NF210 side profile before running board delete
Old 08-04-18, 01:53 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Some old photos from the RSR setup. The front always sat lower than the rear for some reason, even with a spring helper already installed in the former. Take note that my unit is AWD and AVS-equipped.

NOTE: Fast forward to today and I'm not quite happy with the Tanabe setup anymore. The springs are shorter than stock yet almost as soft as stock, bottoming out rather often even with spring helpers in the rear. One thing the RSR has going for it is that bottoming out was never a problem, but it sure was harsh on our crater-riddled Philippine roads. The AVS struts, with Eco/Normal damping presumably similar to non-AVS models, had a hard time controlling the RSR spring rates, too.

Given the cost of complete AVS damper replacements (almost $2000) and how I find them inadequate, I might just go with TEIN Flex Z's + EDFC Active Pro in the future. The latter is essentially an AVS system that you can program to your liking. It comes complete with front/rear and left/right G-sensors, so you can set dampers to be stiff when accelerating/cornering and soft when you're cruising along.

Hope the above info helped.

Old 08-05-18, 05:53 PM
oldwineguy
Lead Lap

Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel821
oldwineguy,

I can't remember if I asked previously or not but can you post pictures of your NX lowered. I'm debating doing this to my wife's NX... I remember seeing pictures somewhere and I like how it took a some of the wheel gap away.. just wanted to see how your's looked.

Thanks,
-Nigel
My 300h on RS-R Springs
Name:  RQp0tLw.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  503 Bytes
Old 08-16-18, 07:12 AM
nigel821
Racer

I'm wondering how the RSR springs would look like with the stock wheels/tires. My wife loves the wheels that are on the nx so changing them isn't an option. But getting that wheel gap down slightly would be nice. Springs are an easy install as well.

-Nigel
Old 08-16-18, 07:14 AM
nigel821
Racer

Arrow

Originally Posted by chezgk
Some old photos from the RSR setup. The front always sat lower than the rear for some reason, even with a spring helper already installed in the former. Take note that my unit is AWD and AVS-equipped.

NOTE: Fast forward to today and I'm not quite happy with the Tanabe setup anymore. The springs are shorter than stock yet almost as soft as stock, bottoming out rather often even with spring helpers in the rear. One thing the RSR has going for it is that bottoming out was never a problem, but it sure was harsh on our crater-riddled Philippine roads. The AVS struts, with Eco/Normal damping presumably similar to non-AVS models, had a hard time controlling the RSR spring rates, too.

Given the cost of complete AVS damper replacements (almost $2000) and how I find them inadequate, I might just go with TEIN Flex Z's + EDFC Active Pro in the future. The latter is essentially an AVS system that you can program to your liking. It comes complete with front/rear and left/right G-sensors, so you can set dampers to be stiff when accelerating/cornering and soft when you're cruising along.

Just noticed the rear bumper reflector LEDS.. do you have more pictures of them and where did you get them? I've seen them listed on amazon and eBay but some of them looked off in terms of matching the rest of the lights.

-Nigel
Old 08-18-18, 12:01 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nigel821
Just noticed the rear bumper reflector LEDS.. do you have more pictures of them and where did you get them? I've seen them listed on amazon and eBay but some of them looked off in terms of matching the rest of the lights.

-Nigel
I'm not sure under what brand this is sold in the aftermarket. We just got it from our supplier who also supplies for Toyota Genuine Accessories in Taiwan. The fitment is the same as the 2006 Camry, if I remember right. As far as selection goes, anything from Taiwan ought to be more reliable than those from China. eBay provides the country of origin in each listing to make things easier. Cheers
Old 08-21-18, 12:01 AM
Norcalpnoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello have some Rsr springs that where on my wife’s nx200t f sport for sale if anyone looking for some? Nice ride and closes up the wheel gap...
Old 04-25-19, 05:39 PM
DLUX
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chezgk

Did you ever get the Tein Flex Z coilovers installed? If so, did you use the ones that were made for the Toyota Harrier?
Old 04-25-19, 07:09 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DLUX
Did you ever get the Tein Flex Z coilovers installed? If so, did you use the ones that were made for the Toyota Harrier?
No I didn't push through with it, but yes the Harrier ones are the correct ones. The NX is mechanically identical with the Harrier and not the RAV4, down to front suspension architecture and the turbo motor. There's also a B14 Harrier kit available from Bilstein Japan, BSS6087J. I don't think one can dial comfort into that setup, however.

I'm currently back on stock springs and dampers, with front and rear Cusco sway bars and Jeep active bump stops on the rear. This setup is a hoot to drive, if you don't care much about lowering/aesthetics. Hope this helped.

Last edited by chezgk; 04-25-19 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-16-19, 12:46 PM
maurois250
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my Tanabe's.. and I have an aggressive offset. no rubbing issues .
Old 05-16-19, 03:17 PM
nigel821
Racer

Dumb question but would there be any issues running the RSR springs and getting the 20" RX F-Sport wheels? There are a couple members here that have the wheels which look awesome, but I don't think they are lowered...

Thanks,
-Nigel

Quick Reply: RS-R or Tanabe lowering springs on F-Sport?