NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Homemade Turbo Resonator Bypass

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-18, 07:40 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Homemade Turbo Resonator Bypass

With my degree and work, I decided to just make a turbo resonator bypass instead of order one from China. If I counted the time and money spent, I would say going with the TTi one would be cheaper since I only made one. If I had pushed out 10, it would have been much better per unit. I would say this one cost me $150ish. Anyways, I matched the stock flange then opened up the tube for better air flow. I flared the end for better hose fitment. I did all this in house, No out sourcing. Honestly, if it was not already made by TTi, I would have considered making a run of 10-20 for other owners. This would fit the NX, RC300, and IS300. (RC200t & IS200t pre 2018). The pipe will soon be tapped for water/meth injector and boost reference. You can see my injection lines in the pic if you look above the pipe. If I did it again, I would replace the whole up pipe from the turbo and the resonator with one smooth flowing piece made of lobster backed Ti or stainless. The white piece next to it was a reference flange I CAD'd. It's a replica of the stock flange. I'm showing that cause I will share the CAD file for anyone wanting to try building there own. Here it is though.

The following 2 users liked this post by skyshadow:
Sheddy (07-11-18), ukrkoz (07-09-18)
Old 07-10-18, 04:07 AM
CrazyChino
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Feel any noticable power difference?

I would like to try one
Old 07-10-18, 11:57 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

power, no. I couldn't imagine that changing power output levels. Might help spool up time but I have not noticed. #1 thing I've noticed is the sound. I have a AEM intake and with this, it sounds like I'm driving around a supra with a hopped up BOV.
Old 07-10-18, 02:19 PM
CrazyChino
Driver

I Have the aem intake myself and I love the whoosh. Lol. So the whoosh and the suction sound is more louder?
Old 07-11-18, 08:23 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

Nice work!
The following users liked this post:
skyshadow (07-12-18)
Old 07-12-18, 07:44 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CrazyChino
I Have the aem intake myself and I love the whoosh. Lol. So the whoosh and the suction sound is more louder?
Yeah! Just leaving a stop light its a steady increase of a spool noise then a very loud whoosh when letting off.
Old 08-14-18, 11:11 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Someone asked about my water/meth set up and since it's attached to my bypass, I will just drop a pic of it here.
Running a Cooling Mist progressive system (stage 2) routed from the back to a 3gph Devil's Own injector that's tapped into the bypass. There is also a vacuum reference line tapped in there. The system runs off the 12V outlet in the trunk area. It turns on pumping at 30% when I hit 5psi and maxes to 100% at 15psi.

The following users liked this post:
GS3Tek (08-15-18)
Old 08-28-18, 07:21 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry for the newb question, but im
not as familiar with the Nx as I am with my car ( RCF ) and my previous ( is350 F ). I take it from the pics the turbo is located on the top of the motor? I have the diverter spacer and can’t seem to find where it goes. I didn’t but the part you made due to not knowing either. The Nx is a daily and my girls car, but wanted to make it fun to drive. Learning. Have the JB4 tune and an aem just came in today, I’ll install tomorrow. Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-30-18, 10:35 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Are you trying to locate the turbo? If you look at my picture, the aluminum to the left is the cold side up pipe for the turbo. The hot side is under the heat shield under the bypass i built.
I have not heard of a diverter spacer... Can you show me a picture of this piece?
Old 09-02-18, 07:07 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I am curious, after 2 weeks mine spent at dealer. What will Lexus say about warranty with this bypass?
Old 09-02-18, 09:27 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Originally Posted by skyshadow
Are you trying to locate the turbo? If you look at my picture, the aluminum to the left is the cold side up pipe for the turbo. The hot side is under the heat shield under the bypass i built.
I have not heard of a diverter spacer... Can you show me a picture of this piece?

The
Old 09-02-18, 09:31 PM
JB5674
Advanced

These pics are from tti, as I’ve asked for assistance. I installed the AEM intake ( broke the hood sensor - hope that’s not pricy ) and saw said piece. BUT, it’s hard as hell to get to. Even removing the resivoir for coolant, the bottom bolt is still too hard. I’m kind of at a loss for spending a hundred bucks and not knowing what to do with the piece. Thanks
Old 09-02-18, 09:44 PM
CrazyChino
Driver

What is the purpose of this spacer?
Old 09-03-18, 06:19 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Louder BOV sound I presume. It’s not a wildly adopted piece, thus me trying to know more and understand more
Old 09-04-18, 02:13 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

From what I know, this takes a recirculating diverter valve and bleeds a portion of the over boost air out to the atmosphere. The pros would be louder blow off sounds.The cons would be slower spool up between shifts as well as the issue that the diverted air is metered air so this could cause a rich state or throw a code.

My personal opinion, with how much work you state it takes to install, it would not be worth it. You are getting a possible loss in performance for a sound.

As for worries with the warranty, my best practice is to remove any aftermarket items before going into the dealership for repairs. I don't take all my parts off for services. I would only do it if I threw a code or something broke. That way they won't just knee jerk say the aftermarket item caused the problem. This does not mean that they will not annotate the mods during oil changes and such.. kind of a calculated gamble.
A good example of this would be my adaptive headlights. One day i got a code that they malfunctioned. i took my NX in to the dealer and they instantly said my Tanabe lowering springs caused my rear control arm height sensor to over extend and break. Because of where I work, I had this looked at again and found out the sensor just needed to be re-initialized.

Quick Reply: Homemade Turbo Resonator Bypass