Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LexusNX 200t Brake job

I need to save some money is there a DIY page that shows how to get it done
Old 06-08-18, 08:24 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Yep. Youtube or library and Chilton manual. Front end or rear end are VERY simple to do. I say about 20 minutes per wheel, no rush. With tools and know how, of course.

Same difference, those are same cars as NX.
Old 06-09-18, 10:54 AM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

There is a thread on here somewhere that discusses the rear brake. If it has the automatic parking brake, it is not as simple. I’ll see if I can find it.

Edit: here it is.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...0t-brakes.html

Last edited by olgzr; 06-09-18 at 11:30 AM. Reason: add link
Old 06-09-18, 03:45 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by olgzr
There is a thread on here somewhere that discusses the rear brake. If it has the automatic parking brake, it is not as simple. I’ll see if I can find it.

Edit: here it is.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...0t-brakes.html
In that thread, I replied:

"We replaced the rear brakes on my NX by removing the parking brake motor and manually turning the piston/screw that the motor's shaft inserts to with either a Torx or Allen wrench (can't remember). Once the replacement is complete, the motor will turn a little longer than usual the first time you operate the parking brake since you pushed the piston/screw all the way back and it's re-calibrating itself. This will throw a one-time code. Just reset it and you're done."

Since posting this, we've found out that the parking brake is a 12V motor, one polarity causes it to spin and "clamp down" the parking brake and reverse polarity causes it to spin the other way and "release" the parking brake. Just disconnect the electronic parking brake motor's plugs and run 12V supply with a spare battery, mobile jumpstarter, or something. If parking brake is already activated when you take the wheels off, you'll know you have the wrong polarity if it refuses to spin.

This "more elegant" solution eliminates the risk of tearing the parking brake motor gasket upon disassembly (happened to us). Fortunately, the gasket is virtually identical with those one fuel filters of some very old diesel vehicles in our market.

Hope this helped.
Old 06-25-18, 01:41 AM
acheuk
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chezgk
In that thread, I replied:

"We replaced the rear brakes on my NX by removing the parking brake motor and manually turning the piston/screw that the motor's shaft inserts to with either a Torx or Allen wrench (can't remember). Once the replacement is complete, the motor will turn a little longer than usual the first time you operate the parking brake since you pushed the piston/screw all the way back and it's re-calibrating itself. This will throw a one-time code. Just reset it and you're done."

Since posting this, we've found out that the parking brake is a 12V motor, one polarity causes it to spin and "clamp down" the parking brake and reverse polarity causes it to spin the other way and "release" the parking brake. Just disconnect the electronic parking brake motor's plugs and run 12V supply with a spare battery, mobile jumpstarter, or something. If parking brake is already activated when you take the wheels off, you'll know you have the wrong polarity if it refuses to spin.

This "more elegant" solution eliminates the risk of tearing the parking brake motor gasket upon disassembly (happened to us). Fortunately, the gasket is virtually identical with those one fuel filters of some very old diesel vehicles in our market.

Hope this helped.
By doing that, did it trip a DTC?
Old 06-26-18, 06:02 AM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by acheuk
By doing that, did it trip a DTC?
Yes, easy reset after everything; never came back.