NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

The NX needs a major redo

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-18, 04:33 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,069 Likes on 696 Posts
Default The NX needs a major redo

I am a huge Lexus fan. The NX just moved down a position. Alex agrees the RDX is the winner over the NX. Can not believe they chose to make the panoramic roof and HUD only available overseas and Canada and no Apple car Play or Android Auto. The only slightly negative comments were the dynamic control button and slight limited rear headroom.

Last edited by Freds430; 05-31-18 at 04:55 AM.
Old 05-31-18, 06:27 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 05-31-18, 07:09 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
I am a huge Lexus fan. The NX just moved down a position. Alex agrees the RDX is the winner over the NX. Can not believe they chose to make the panoramic roof and HUD only available overseas and Canada and no Apple car Play or Android Auto. The only slightly negative comments were the dynamic control button and slight limited rear headroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4WdQSqU6r0&t=669s
Although a hud would be nice, i hate sun rooms, especially heavy panoramic ones which put too much weight at the top of the car and just give you the opportunity for a very expensive repair bill when something goes wrong with them soon after warranty. The nx isn't perfect, but i have yet to find a car that is, over all i really like mine and I wouldn't do anything different if i could go back.
Old 05-31-18, 11:29 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skyshadow
Mine and Alex's!!!
Old 05-31-18, 11:31 AM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

i am thankful for once, my NX is remaining as a 'current style' for longer than any Lexus we've had.
First RX was 2003, and of course 2004 changed appearance tremendously, and I felt outdated immediately.
Second RX was 2010, within few months the grill changed and I felt outdated immediately.
Going on 3 years, most folks can not detect which model year since little change to the untrained eye.

(3rd RX currently as well, with no signs of being outdated by new year model.)
Old 05-31-18, 03:40 PM
jdt
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4WdQSqU6r0&t=669s
the 2019 rdx is a redesigned model lol........the nx was released in 2015, it's been almost 4 years and there's been minor updates until it will be redesigned in 2020. Don't think its' really fair to compare a refreshed car with a brand new redesigned car. Perosnally, i still prefer the look of the nx. In terms of interior and technology, rdx might have the edge but that doesn't mean the nx is bad in any way.
Old 05-31-18, 05:23 PM
Jmask5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Meh not the least bit interested in Acura. The NX for me is the best in the price range. From reliability to looks and everything in between.
Old 05-31-18, 08:34 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I really wanted to like the NX but I just can’t. Spent a whole day with the NX, and both comfort/dynamic are disappointing vs. competition. Good to see Acura stepping up the game for the Japanese.
Old 06-01-18, 10:10 AM
rVague
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have concerns about the RDX. Direct injection only, rather than both direct and port injection which would reduce carbon buildup. No liquid cooled intercooler, which minimizes intercooler heat sink. The NX has these. Also Honda has had issues with their 1.5 liter turbo getting gasoline in the oil, which raises questions about the 2.0.
Old 06-01-18, 03:08 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rVague
I have concerns about the RDX. Direct injection only, rather than both direct and port injection which would reduce carbon buildup. No liquid cooled intercooler, which minimizes intercooler heat sink. The NX has these. Also Honda has had issues with their 1.5 liter turbo getting gasoline in the oil, which raises questions about the 2.0.
That’s a good point, so far the Accord 2.0T don’t seem to be having any carbon buildup issues like the 2IS250.
Old 06-01-18, 05:13 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Test drove a 2019 RDX advanced today. I can not stress enough if you are in the market for a new SUV take the time to test drive. It is a blast to drive. Handles like a sporty sedan, accelerates rapidly with zero turbo lag like in the NX and is quiet. Now I know why Alex on Autos raved about it and picked over the NX. The technology, comfort and ride excel. Test drove it at 11am today. It was sunny and hot. The shade on the panoramic roof was wide open. It was not overly bright or hot with it open. Got home and opened the shade on my ES and had to shut it. It was way to bright and hot. Acura must use a high heat reduction tint. Top of the line with the advance package with SHAWD list at $47,000. Can not imagine a better buy. ELS sound system is indescribable. You just have to listen. Only concern is gas mileage. EPA is 21 and 27. I took it on a 12 mile trip which half was highway and my mpg was 10.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (09-07-18)
Old 06-01-18, 05:42 PM
Jmask5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess i will add it to my list. Its just Acura is not the best brand. I knew a few owners who did not like it. At the end of the day all the features are nice and all but you need something rock solid and safe.
Old 06-01-18, 06:41 PM
L3xus350
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I owned a certified pre-owned TSX and had several issues with it and Acura did not take care of the problems so I traded it for the Lexus IS350 I had. They are pretty close to last on my list to buy a car from. My wife had a 2014 RDX and really liked it, but after she rode in my NX she traded in her RDX on her own NX. I am sure the new RDX is nice and getting good reviews but with the new motor (and Honda having issues with the 1.5 turbo) I would not feel comfortable getting one. This is the 4th year of the NX with the same motor so it is more established.
Old 06-25-18, 02:06 AM
acheuk
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I worry more about the 10 speed transmission because Acura had many problems with the 9 speed transmission, which made them dropped a lot in the JD power ranking.
Old 06-25-18, 05:49 AM
SteveDeech
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jdt
the 2019 rdx is a redesigned model lol........the nx was released in 2015, it's been almost 4 years and there's been minor updates until it will be redesigned in 2020. Don't think its' really fair to compare a refreshed car with a brand new redesigned car. Perosnally, i still prefer the look of the nx. In terms of interior and technology, rdx might have the edge but that doesn't mean the nx is bad in any way.
Ditto! You are right on. To do a major change just to satisfy few by putting a pan Aramaic rood and hud is crazy. I have a 16 and I love it more and more every day. It is a solid compact SUV.

Quick Reply: The NX needs a major redo