NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Need advice- thinking of switching to NX from ES

Old 05-07-18, 11:28 AM
beachdora
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice- thinking of switching to NX from ES

I am on my third ES. Love it, esp the smooth yet powerful ride. Time for a new car and thinking of switching to either the NX or NXh. Mainly for the slightly higher ride and open storage space. But heard the nx ride is not as comfortable and also cabin noise can be louder. And the engine seems like much less power? The es has spoiled me in terms of cabin comfort. Anyone else made the switch? Especially to the 2018 NX models? Thanks for the input.
Old 05-07-18, 12:11 PM
allwheels
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Having had a newer ES, I wouldn't go to a NX. The cabin noise is enough to say no. The RX is a better riding and quieter SUV is thats what you are looking for.
The following users liked this post:
beachdora (05-07-18)
Old 05-07-18, 01:21 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 843 Likes on 638 Posts

Agree with allwheels, the ES and RX have the smooth ride, powerful engine you mentioned as being important
to you and the RX of course rides higher. While not really related mechanically, the IS and NX are both marketed
to a sportier demographic and they ride...well, sportier and are a bit noisier. The F-Sport NX even adds extra
(artificial) engine sounds so you really get what you paid for! Couple other points to consider: Both the ES and
the RX V6's use regular fuel while the NX300 (nee NX200t) and the various IS's need premium. Most ES and
RX's are built in North America, NX's are Japan made, more political than mechanical obviously but shortens the
special order time if you go that route.
beachdora (05-07-18)
Old 05-07-18, 02:58 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Coming from an older RX, I drove the NX, RX, and ES before purchasing my NX F-Sport.

I really liked the ES, but preferred the slightly higher ride and the ease of getting in an out of the NX with my bad knee. I always drive my NX in sport mode and did not notice any really difference in acceleration between the ES and NX.

I immediately fell in love with the comfort and quiet of the RX, but it is just way too BIG for city driving and parking. If I were driving long distances a lot more than I do, I might have purchased the RX.

I suppose the NX was a compromise for me, but except for the noisy cabin, I like it a lot
beachdora (05-07-18)
Old 05-07-18, 07:09 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 17 nx fsport and the only negative after 22k miles is the nav system. i turned off the exhaust note enhancement day 1 so no comment on that. on the hwy going 75mph I can floor it to pass and hit 100mph about the time it took to pull ahead...love the turbo engine and way better than the lexus is v6 i used to have. only other negative i have found are the cheap plastic seats since my is had anilene leather. the way i drive i get 25mpg in the nx on premium.

I have driven es as loaners many times...they ok/standard lexus...but i think for small suv nx is pretty great for price. hate the nav tho.
Old 05-07-18, 08:24 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

You will not have "powerful" ride from NX. Agile, but not powerful.
We have RX 350 and NX door to door in garage and, for what it is, NX is much road quieter.
As of ride comfort, maybe it's miles difference, 25K vs 60K, but RX is bumpier.
Cargo wise - RX beats NX hands down, Highlander beats them all.
I'd say, NX is a toy, RX is a hauler. More than 2 in NX and it already feels a crowd.
30% better mpg in NX, more than that in H version. But do you really want to deal with hybrids?
Old 05-08-18, 07:59 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Torii - your 2017 still used Lexus App Suite, connects your phone to the Nav wonderfully. Free App can
both transfer destinations you entered into the phone while away from the car and also greatly enhance
the voice recognition/current data difficulties of the Lexus system.
Old 05-08-18, 09:53 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

i dont understand all of the cabin noise complaints re: the nx. my 2018 f sport is very quiet inside...
Old 05-08-18, 11:04 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
i dont understand all of the cabin noise complaints re: the nx. my 2018 f sport is very quiet inside...
I don't either. I don't have bionic ears nor am I deaf . I can talk to my passengers fine.

Mine's a '16 F-Sport
lexus114 (05-09-18)
Old 05-08-18, 11:36 AM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Torii - your 2017 still used Lexus App Suite, connects your phone to the Nav wonderfully. Free App can
both transfer destinations you entered into the phone while away from the car and also greatly enhance
the voice recognition/current data difficulties of the Lexus system.
and what app is best?
Old 05-09-18, 03:39 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

repost:

Lexus Enform App Suite enables communication between your iPhone (and Androids) and the car.
Bluetooth is for speech and text, LEAS is for data and control. Unlike other Enform products that
require a subscription, LEAS is free. Download and open "Sign Up", fill it out. Benefits are phone
specific, additional drivers will need to download and enroll for use when they are driving.

When you start the car and the BT connects you will see the phone screen become a plain gray screen
with App Suite logo and "disconnect" button. Tap "Menu" on the center console and select "App Suite".
Now all the icons are on screen. (Note: the very first time you do this it will take a couple of minutes to
download the latest App Suite to the car through your phone.) LEAS need to remain running on the phone
to provide the features coming up next.

Greatest features are the Navigations aids. If the map is showing on the car's display when you
press the steering wheel speech button the car is providing the destination. If you open App
Suite and select "Destination" wait until the prompt finishes and press the steering wheel speech
button you are now using your phone for destinations. Our phones have better speech recognition
and more up to date data than the Lexus. The older the car, the more obvious this will be. No typing,
no changing State name, no need to pay for a map update (unless your destination is on a newly
constructed road). Select "Go To" if going now, "Mark" if going later. If you saved a destination in the
app before you started the car it will be available under "Saved Destinations", "Do you want to synchronize
your destinations?" Yes!
Torii (05-10-18)
Old 05-10-18, 08:53 AM
Momen
Driver School Candidate

I switched from a 2014 ES for a 2018 NX last November.

NX is fun to drive - not sure of the noise level - probably got used to it - but I certainly miss the smooth ride and power of the ES.
Old 05-10-18, 06:32 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by beachdora
I am on my third ES. Love it, esp the smooth yet powerful ride. Time for a new car and thinking of switching to either the NX or NXh. Mainly for the slightly higher ride and open storage space. But heard the nx ride is not as comfortable and also cabin noise can be louder. And the engine seems like much less power? The es has spoiled me in terms of cabin comfort. Anyone else made the switch? Especially to the 2018 NX models? Thanks for the input.
Welcome to CL!

I owned the NX, had the ES as loaners several times, and on my 4th RX.

Based on your written requirements, the NX would not be a good fit for you:
- The relatively short wheelbase and firmer ride will be noticed with firmer impacts and a more bouncy ride especially for rear passengers. Now if you get it equipped with AVS, the ride will be better/smoother though not quite ES-territory.
- While the Turbo 4 is relatively smooth, it is not as smooth as the 3.5L V6 in the ES (or RX). The 2L Turbo also has some lag and is not as responsive but with boost feels very peppy and relatively powerful.
- NVH is not as good as the ES (or RX). NX has some wind noise at speed around the window/mirrors and a little more road noise as well.

The above is for the 2L Turbo. If you opt for the 300h, the hybrid powertrain provides a smoother more quiet drive unless you have a heavy foot where the CVT and engine buzz can be a little intrusive. Test drive both 300 and 300h and post your feedback.

Good luck!
reposado2 (05-11-18)
Old 05-11-18, 08:24 PM
L3xus350
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently have a 2013 IS350 and I am looking to switch over to an NX. I know I am going to lose the acceleration but being 40+ it is starting to wear on me riding so low to the ground. I am going to test drive the NX tomorrow and hoping for a better ride as well as easier getting in and out of the vehicle. I just do not want the size of an RX so as long as the ride is better than an IS I will be happy.
Old 05-12-18, 03:30 PM
beachdora
Driver School Candidate

Would you mind reposting your thoughts after your test drive?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need advice- thinking of switching to NX from ES