NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

16 & 17 vs 2018. Did anybody found 18 worst to switch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 04:12 AM
ML350BT
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 16 & 17 vs 2018. Did anybody found 18 worst to switch?

Hello all NX owners,
My question to the owners of NX years 16 & 17.
Did any of you tried 18s model?
Does it feel that different?
Im asking from a buyer prospective, does it worst to go with 18 or just go with 16 or 17 for less.

Thank you in advance.
Old 05-01-18, 06:31 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

There is absolutely no way it's worth it. Yeah there's some minor improvements/features but t'hell with wasting that sort of money. If you're leasing, wait until the lease is up...if you're financing, forget it....if you did a cash purchase, HELL NO.
Old 05-01-18, 10:56 AM
ML350BT
Driver School Candidate

We are looking to purchase NX, and wondering if 18 has something what worst a few $K vs 17s model.
Looks like not so much.
Old 05-01-18, 12:53 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

If buying new right now, I would pay a few grand more for a 2018 over an old stock 2017 with more discounts.
Old 05-01-18, 03:17 PM
ML350BT
Driver School Candidate

This is why Im here and asking. What so different?
I was waiting for panoramic sun roof and premium sound. Didn't happen in US.
Suspension didn't get changed, car insulation or acoustic windows not in 18 models.
Really want to get response from people who drove both models.
Old 05-01-18, 09:51 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ML350BT
Suspension didn't get changed, car insulation or acoustic windows not in 18 models.
I own a 2017 F-Sport and love it. I've driven the 2018 Hybrid and the regular model....they too were very nice.

I personally always want "brand new" when I purchase something, so if given a choice, I would probably buy the 2018. But if you're asking, could I tell any real difference between the 17 and the two 18 models I drove?... The answer is no!

I'll be driving a 2018 model for the next couple of days and will pay closer attention for significant differences...if I note any, I will post here again.....
Old 05-03-18, 08:00 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Well, why don't you take 2018 for long term test drive and make your own conclusion? If you buy a mean of locomotion, there is no difference as it's same power train and suspension, so they drive same.
If you buy on wheels set of gadgets, that's up to you if there were enough new gadgetry for you. That said, many other brands will have more gadgets than Lexus.
Old 05-03-18, 09:12 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 870 Likes on 502 Posts

Didn't the 2018 get a revised/newer AVS suspension with the ability to adjust in 650 ways? Supposedly makes for a much bigger difference in ride quality compared to previous years.

This video goes over some of the changes for the 2018 models:

Old 05-04-18, 08:44 AM
ML350BT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by signdetres
Didn't the 2018 get a revised/newer AVS suspension with the ability to adjust in 650 ways? Supposedly makes for a much bigger difference in ride quality compared to previous years.

This video goes over some of the changes for the 2018 models:

According to Edmunds

There are a few minor differences, but overall it's the same vehicle.

What's New
Lexus has renamed its NX 200t the NX 300 for 2018. Mechanically, nothing has changed. But Lexus has made the Safety System+ package, which includes front collision mitigation, lane departure alert, high-beam assist and adaptive cruise control as standard equipment this year. The NX 300 also gains an updated infotainment system with a bigger display, a 30 percent larger Remote Touch Interface pad, and available adaptive suspension dampers for the F Sport variant.

Its not clear. Really don't want to pay for marketing move if there are no real changes.
My priorities are in order:
Sound proof cabin (minimum road, wind and other noise)
Interior
Gadgets

So if Lexus didn't add anything to isolate noise,
its definitely not worth it.
Problem is there are not clear information available, and maybe real life experience can help in this case.
Old 05-04-18, 08:59 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

According to Edmunds

There are a few minor differences, but overall it's the same vehicle.

What's New
Lexus has renamed its NX 200t the NX 300 for 2018. Mechanically, nothing has changed. But Lexus has made the Safety System+ package, which includes front collision mitigation, lane departure alert, high-beam assist and adaptive cruise control as standard equipment this year. The NX 300 also gains an updated infotainment system with a bigger display, a 30 percent larger Remote Touch Interface pad, and available adaptive suspension dampers for the F Sport variant.

Its not clear. Really don't want to pay for marketing move if there are no real changes.
Sound proof cabin (minimum road, wind and other noise)
Interior
Gadgets

So if Lexus didn't add anything to isolate noise,
its definitely not worth it.
Problem is there are not clear information available, and maybe real life experience can help in this case.

Sound proof cabin (minimum road, wind and other noise) Things like this only change with model refresh unless there is a known issue with a lot of complaints, so it is not likely that anything changed here.
Interior - Clearly stated, bigger screen, bigger touch pad. materials and design not changed and again will not change until a model refresh
Gadgets - again clearly stated, safety sense made standard (not an optional charge) bigger screen, bigger touch pad, active suspension. No other 'gadgets' are added and will likely not be until a model refresh.

16-17-18 = same vehicle, some tidbits are added but no significate changes to the design, look, feel, material, parts, engine, etc.

it comes down to personal choice, do you want a new vehicle or a model year old vehicle, if you buy a left over 2017 you will get a better price and you will not take as large a depreciation hit because of the lower price. If you get a new 2018, it is still early in the sales season so you will pay more, you will take a bigger depreciation hit, but you do get a few new things that the 2017 doesn't have, but is that small difference worth it to you?

If the minor changes in a 2018 make a difference, get the 2018, if not get the 2017, if you aren't in a hurry and want a 2018 wait until August when the 2019s come out, there are likely to be even less differences in the 2019 as it will have been the 4th model year of the vehicle generation and as a generation ages; less and less features are added so that when the refreshed new generation comes out they can put all the new gadgets and toys into that as a selling point to get people to upgrade.
Old 05-05-18, 01:56 PM
ML350BT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mjeds
Sound proof cabin (minimum road, wind and other noise) Things like this only change with model refresh unless there is a known issue with a lot of complaints, so it is not likely that anything changed here.
Interior - Clearly stated, bigger screen, bigger touch pad. materials and design not changed and again will not change until a model refresh
Gadgets - again clearly stated, safety sense made standard (not an optional charge) bigger screen, bigger touch pad, active suspension. No other 'gadgets' are added and will likely not be until a model refresh.

16-17-18 = same vehicle, some tidbits are added but no significate changes to the design, look, feel, material, parts, engine, etc.

it comes down to personal choice, do you want a new vehicle or a model year old vehicle, if you buy a left over 2017 you will get a better price and you will not take as large a depreciation hit because of the lower price. If you get a new 2018, it is still early in the sales season so you will pay more, you will take a bigger depreciation hit, but you do get a few new things that the 2017 doesn't have, but is that small difference worth it to you?

If the minor changes in a 2018 make a difference, get the 2018, if not get the 2017, if you aren't in a hurry and want a 2018 wait until August when the 2019s come out, there are likely to be even less differences in the 2019 as it will have been the 4th model year of the vehicle generation and as a generation ages; less and less features are added so that when the refreshed new generation comes out they can put all the new gadgets and toys into that as a selling point to get people to upgrade.
Excelent summary. Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
mjeds (05-05-18)
Old 05-05-18, 03:25 PM
ColinLo
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Totally not worth trading in for 2018 model. I happen to have a brand new 2018 NX300 F-Sport as a loaner for a few days now as my 2016 NX is at the dealership for minor repair. I feel exactly the same vehicle after I have driven it everyday for works, pick up kids, grocery shopping etc... just like everyday use.

The car does feel a little bit quieter that I don't hear engine noise as much and I can hear more bass coming out from the mufflers when I hit the gas, but you have to be very careful to feel those. Yeah, bigger screen looks nice but that's pretty much about it. The LEXUS bigger screen is something you can get from Taobao (Chinese ebay) and which is even better, the one from Taobao comes with Android auto and Apple car play also. I personally like the pre-2018 front bumper better... so the new 2018 model, for me, isn't worth trading in after all. Just wait for new styling in 2020 or 2021. Judging from what the new UX and new RAV will have, I am really looking forward to the next generation NX.

Last edited by ColinLo; 05-05-18 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-05-18, 03:50 PM
ML350BT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ColinLo
Totally not worth trading in for 2018 model. I happen to have a brand new 2018 NX300 F-Sport as a loaner for a few days now as my 2016 NX is at the dealership for minor repair. I feel exactly the same vehicle after I have driven it everyday for works, pick up kids, grocery shopping etc... just like everyday use.

The car does feel a little bit quieter that I don't hear engine noise as much and I can hear more bass coming out from the mufflers when I hit the gas, but you have to be very careful to feel those. Yeah, bigger screen looks nice but that's pretty much about it. The LEXUS bigger screen is something you can get from Taobao (Chinese ebay) and which is even better, the one from Taobao comes with Android auto and Apple car play also. I personally like the pre-2018 front bumper better... so the new 2018 model, for me, isn't worth trading in after all. Just wait for new styling in 2020 or 2021. Judging from what the new UX and new RAV will have, I am really looking forward to the next generation NX.
This is exactly what I was waiting. Personal experience form one who drives 16-17 model and tried 18. Thank you ColinLo.
Old 05-06-18, 10:26 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Not much to add really.

I own a fully loaded 2017 F-Sport, but recently drove a 2018 Hybrid for two days and a 2018 regular model for three days, after which the only thing I liked better about the 2018 models was the remote touch interface pad.

I honestly couldn't tell the pad was any larger, but I really like that when the cursor is moved over an icon, you can feel what seems like a slight physical "dip" in the pad, letting you know you're over an icon without you having to look at the screen for verification.

Yes, the screen is bigger, but it is still the same crappy map I have on my 2017 that is totally lacking in the detail I want in identifying street names. My wife's Audi Q3 has much more detail and is a much simpler navigation system from a user standpoint.

I like the styling and handling of my F-Sport over the 2018 models I drove, but I liked the touch pad better on the 2018.

Bottom line....although there are a couple of slight design changes and gadget upgrades on the 2018, none were enough to make me want to dump my 2017 for a 2018 NX.
Old 05-07-18, 06:31 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by DampDuffer
Not much to add really.

I own a fully loaded 2017 F-Sport, but recently drove a 2018 Hybrid for two days and a 2018 regular model for three days, after which the only thing I liked better about the 2018 models was the remote touch interface pad.

I honestly couldn't tell the pad was any larger, but I really like that when the cursor is moved over an icon, you can feel what seems like a slight physical "dip" in the pad, letting you know you're over an icon without you having to look at the screen for verification.

Yes, the screen is bigger, but it is still the same crappy map I have on my 2017 that is totally lacking in the detail I want in identifying street names. My wife's Audi Q3 has much more detail and is a much simpler navigation system from a user standpoint.

I like the styling and handling of my F-Sport over the 2018 models I drove, but I liked the touch pad better on the 2018.

Bottom line....although there are a couple of slight design changes and gadget upgrades on the 2018, none were enough to make me want to dump my 2017 for a 2018 NX.
There's a setting for the feedback on the 15-17's for the trackpad, yours might just be turned off.

Quick Reply: 16 & 17 vs 2018. Did anybody found 18 worst to switch?