NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

NX200t Dash Speaker Replacement and Underseat Subwoofer Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-19, 01:50 PM
Suspendmix
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny200t
Sorry for bring up an old discussion, but how did you get the amp wiring through the firewall? did you need any special tools or have to take anything apart? it looks difficult to get it through.
I actually had Best Buy do the amp installation but from what I remember, it wasn't too difficult. If I have time, i'll take a peek under the hood to see where the line runs through.
Old 11-20-19, 01:56 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Suspendmix
I actually had Best Buy do the amp installation but from what I remember, it wasn't too difficult. If I have time, i'll take a peek under the hood to see where the line runs through.
I beg to differ on that, having actually done it, following the actual Lexus procedure, it was a huge pain and took a long time.
Attached Files
Old 11-20-19, 02:17 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

That would be awesome, thanks.
Old 11-20-19, 02:19 PM
Danny200t
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gompka
I beg to differ on that, having actually done it, following the actual Lexus procedure, it was a huge pain and took a long time.
Thank you for those instructions! It looks like way too much work just to get a wire through but it doesn’t seem too difficult to take everything apart.
Old 01-21-20, 12:12 PM
4Rfor4
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great write up!

I have the same audio problem in my CT. In fact I have the worse audio problem; since sound only comes from the front 3 speakers and it's the crumiest sound ever! With the stock radio
I'll have to do some research on my options, installation, etc
thanks for posting
Old 08-05-20, 11:54 AM
End1ess
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

On the diagram says Front Right speaker +PINK and -RED but in the picture you cut +PURPLE and -RED is that a mistake?

Edit: NM your right. I tested pink and red no sound, switched to purple sound comes on.
P.s. Sound 100x better than cheap stock speakers. So much more bass for my bass head.
SOOO easy to switch basically plug and play 😁

Last edited by End1ess; 08-05-20 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-06-20, 07:45 AM
jonnyyaa
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i just changed over my dash speakers to rockfords 3.5, much better sound
Old 08-06-20, 09:42 PM
End1ess
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice, I went with JL Audio 4".
Going to challenge the front door speakers this weekend.
The following users liked this post:
jonnyyaa (08-07-20)
Old 08-11-20, 01:08 PM
klinquist
Pit Crew

Received 104 Likes on 45 Posts

please delete please delete
Old 12-06-20, 09:59 PM
bensiow20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Like many folks on this forum, I love my NX but hate the audio coming from the speakers which to me sounds pretty muddy and lacks low end. I've replaced headunits, speakers and added amps and subwoofers in many of my previous cars but I was much more hesitant with the NX. I've already located an fixed one rattle and didn't want to risk further rattles but the sound just kept bugging me so I settled on adding an underseat subwoofer and replacing the front dash speakers. After consulting the many threads on this forum, I decided I was comfortable with replacing the front 3 dash speakers and adding an underseat subwoofer. I researched Infinity and Polks for the front speakers and looked at Rockford Fosgate, Infinity, Pioneer, Kicker, Kenwood and Cerwin Vega for the underseat subwoofers. I've always liked the brightness of the Infinity's so I went for the 4" Infinity REF-4022cfx and as for the subwoofer that was bit tougher. There weren't too many local places that carried compact powered subs so all I could listen to were Kicker and Kenwood. While I knew I was sacrificing deep low bass due to the size, those speakers really underwhelmed me. I ended up choosing the Cerwin Vegas VPAS10 because it was the only powered compact subwoofer that was 10" and could fit under the seat.

Installation for the front dash was fairly easy except I couldn't find speaker wire harness adapters so I had to cut the harness and solder new speaker wire. I also had to break off two of the speaker tabs to install and fits rather snug. I replaced all 3 front dash speakers and took about 2 hours. I'm not the best at soldering =)

I didn't feel comfortable with running power from the battery so I ended up getting the Cerwin Vega sub installed at Best Buy. Took them about 2 hours and they were able to route everything to under my seat. It does stick out just a smidgen but it's not particularly noticeable.

How's it sound? Pretty good! The mids are very clear and the highs are bright - its certainly not muddy any more, particularly at high volume. The subwoofer doesn't give the deep lows that I really like. Its more of a mid-bass hit and because its under the seat, is rather concussive. You feel it. I'm still tuning it but it does blend in fairly well with the other speakers and really adds to the fullness of the sound.

Was it worth it? Certainly replacing the front speakers was, its really night and day and is the one recommendation I can make to all NX owners. I'm not totally sold on the subwoofer. It is loud and hits fairly hard but I miss the deep lows. However, I'm not willing to give up what little precious cargo room I have to house 12" sub boxes so this will probably be an acceptable trade off.

I spent a shade under $400 for everything. Here's the breakdown and links to the products I used (all purchased on Amazon):
$157 https://www.amazon.com/Cerwin-vega-M...ct_top?ie=UTF8
$32 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$47 x2 = $94 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
$105 Best Buy Subwoofer Installation

I know there's still 7 other stock speakers in the car but I'm pretty sure I'm done. I don't sit in the back so I'm not too worry about the sound back there and the door speakers supply bass and the subwoofer is taking car of that. Looking back, not sure if I really needed to replace the center dash speaker. Doesn't seem like a lot of sound is coming from there and maybe is used for navigation voices? Hope this writeup will be helpful for other folks intending to replace their speakers. I've attached some pics below of the gear. Feel free to PM me if you have q's. Enjoy!

4" Infinity's waiting to go into dash. You can see the new connections and electrical tape covering the soldering job.

4" Infinity's sitting in the dash

Here's what the Infinity speakers look like with the baffle back in place.

The 10" Cerwin Vega VPAS10 subwoofer

Here is the sub sitting right outside of the driver's seat.

And same sub tucked in with the seat in driving position.

Sub is tucked in with the seat in parked position. Its hard to tell there's a speaker there.

Here's the power cable ran from the battery with a fuse

@Suspendmix Nice write up , i had read somewhere that the changing the speakers might mess up with the original DSP . Glad that all went well for you.