NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Heater effectiveness

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-18, 12:25 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Heater effectiveness

Leased a 2017 200t and have had it for about 4 months now, and my wife has told me that the heat in it isn't as hot as other cars; come to find out she's right, the heat SUCKS in this vehicle. Before I go looking for air in the cooling system, has anyone else noticed this on theirs?
Old 04-18-18, 12:28 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Heat comes from the engine, the smaller/more efficient the engine, the less heat it can make. What engines were in the other vehicles?

That all said, I've found the heat on par or slightly better than most other 4 cylinder 2.x liter vehicles I've driven before.
Old 04-18-18, 12:54 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Heat comes from the heated coolant flowing through your heater core. Engine size makes little difference in that respect. Now if you shrink the engine size down but keep the cooling system of say a V8 in there then yes, that coolant will always run a little cooler but I've had V8's and I4's and they all had a base amount of heat, while this one never really gets hot lol. Just warm at best. And as of say 20 years ago or so, engines have been running hotter and hotter to help with efficiency (hotter equals more complete burns in the combustion chamber) Plus this thing's turboed so it's going to be a little warmer in there. I'm guessing an air bubble but still waiting to see other's results as well.
Old 04-18-18, 01:03 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

I think mine is fine, not any better or worse than my is350. Gets plenty warm, i usually keep it on 70, if i put it on 72 sometimes it gets too warm in the car, i'm in cold Chicago.
Old 04-18-18, 01:26 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
Heat comes from the heated coolant flowing through your heater core. Engine size makes little difference in that respect. Now if you shrink the engine size down but keep the cooling system of say a V8 in there then yes, that coolant will always run a little cooler but I've had V8's and I4's and they all had a base amount of heat, while this one never really gets hot lol. Just warm at best. And as of say 20 years ago or so, engines have been running hotter and hotter to help with efficiency (hotter equals more complete burns in the combustion chamber) Plus this thing's turboed so it's going to be a little warmer in there. I'm guessing an air bubble but still waiting to see other's results as well.
Engine size (and efficiency) makes a big difference on how long it takes to heat up in the first place and how much thermal energy is even available to flow through the heater core. Yes once at temp the cooling system regulates the temp to maintain at some set point, but there's only so much thermal energy to go around.

Also, how are you setting your climate settings? There is an air mixer in the system that will mix cool air with the air that's passed over the heater core to regulate the temperature that comes out of the vents. If you want the hottest possible air out of the vents, you need to put the temperature set point all the way up and then manually control the fan (or roast with it on high).
Old 04-18-18, 03:41 PM
kent2174
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Help me understand how the heater controls are designed for use. I will typically hit auto, raise temp to greater than outside, then press the air cond button to turn off (no lamp).
Then I raise fan to blow warm air as needed.

There might be another button I press, can’t remember.
Whatever it takes to blow hot air without the compressor.

My thought is no need to use air compressor for heat.

Never had challenge getting hot. And always need to reduce seat heat after couple of minutes.
Old 04-18-18, 04:33 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Leave it on auto, set your temp, ignore the rest. It will vary position, fan speed, air mix (air temp) to get to your set point and keep things comfy. It will automatically ramp up fan and such as the vehicle reaches temperature. Manually adjusting overrides it's behaviour. I believe there's a customization setting about whether when you hit auto the AC comes on or not.

Believe or not, the NX uses a multi-layer neural network in the climate system to decide how to setup the air based on all of it's sensor inputs and what feedback it gets from its sensors. Pretty crazy stuff.
Old 04-18-18, 07:22 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

We normally leave it on auto, her side set to 72, mine set to 74. When the engine temp comes up, it starts putting out heat. We’ve had it malfunction once, my side started putting out HOT air and could not be controlled. Her side was normal. Shutting off the car and turning it back on fixed the problem and it hasn’t acted up since.
Old 04-19-18, 07:13 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

well, (and i`m not being smart) it is a 2017 right? take it to your dealer and see what they come up with. i only hope they dont come up with the old typical...."cant duplicate the problem" system is working as it should statement.... but it is worth a try....
Old 04-19-18, 08:12 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by lexus114
well, (and i`m not being smart) it is a 2017 right? take it to your dealer and see what they come up with. i only hope they dont come up with the old typical...."cant duplicate the problem" system is working as it should statement.... but it is worth a try....
Your expectations of temperature don't supersede the design of the vehicle.

Does it blow hot air when you put everything into manual mode, crank the temp setpoints as high as possible, wait for the vehicle to reach temp, set the fan to a mid value? If so, I doubt there's an issue.
Old 04-20-18, 04:00 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by kent2174
Help me understand how the heater controls are designed for use. I will typically hit auto, raise temp to greater than outside, then press the air cond button to turn off (no lamp).
Then I raise fan to blow warm air as needed.

There might be another button I press, can’t remember.
Whatever it takes to blow hot air without the compressor.

My thought is no need to use air compressor for heat.

Never had challenge getting hot. And always need to reduce seat heat after couple of minutes.
Two observations.
1. every time you are in Auto and press fan button or vents direction button, it turns off Auto feature and runs on the last setting saved. Auto works as far as you turned it on, set temp to what you want - and forgot about it.
2. AC WILL work, light on or off, when vents are pointed towards windshield in any vents position combination. It's a safety feature. toyota is obsessed with windows defogging. So, if your vents are set to say windshield/floor, and you "turn off AC" by pressing Ac button, AC will still work. This been around on most newer cars I have driven and I have driven quite a few. Even my 2005 Dodge RAM does this. I can tell by AC clutch engaging noise.
Old 04-20-18, 04:01 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I have no problem with heater in my NX. Works just fine. I had much more concern in my 2012 Highlander Hybrid, when engine simply does not produce any heat when in hybrid mode.
Old 04-21-18, 10:47 AM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have had no problems. I keep it on Auto almost all the time.
Old 05-21-18, 08:56 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

My wife loves really hot heat, and she complained that it's not as hot as the Jeep was. So I take it for a spin; she's right, it's not the warmest heat I've ever felt honestly. Not even close really. I know our system's probably self bleeding, but I bet there's an air bubble in there. But now I can't check it because it's warm here, and it'll feel warmer than it is due to how warm it is outside now. Ah well.
But yea, I get the finite amount of thermal energy from this engine, but remember, newer engines are being asked to do more and more these days, and to get there they're running them hotter for more complete combustion amongst other thing. I highly doubt this turbo charged 4 cylinder doesn't get hot enough to make a good amount of heat. I'm not seeing that. I'm betting any IC engine makes more than enough heat to heat up it's coolant sufficiently enough to make good heat in the cabin. I'm betting on an air bubble myself. But it's cool, I needed your guy's opinion's of your heater effectiveness and I got it. Thanks!