NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

New NX and dash cam for a week and got minor "hit and run" today ... but caught him !

Old 04-05-18, 11:11 AM
slypx
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default New NX and dash cam for a week and got minor "hit and run" today ... but caught him !

Hi All

Short story : Have a brand new 2018 NX since last week with the OEM dash cam. Going to work this morning in rush hour traffic and got slightly "hit and run" by an impatient A**H*** ...
(PS : Attached video had to be downgraded to low resolution to fit the 5Mb max requirement)

The guy tried to squeeze between me and the cement curb to proceed to the left turn lane but there were no space to do so. At 0:15 sec of the attached video, you'll notice that I tried to move forward and right to help him as I saw him with his flasher behind me. I guess he couldn't wait 2-3 sec more and forced himself in between me and the side curb... His right mirror hit my lens and rear left wing. He never slowed down and in my head, there is no doubt he was trying to flee ... Was able to catch him as he tried to get away thru a shopping center parking lot ... The 35 sec chase is in the attached video but not the contact as it was on the rear left wing and the dash cam .. well ... it is a dash cam so looking forward !

As a young retired cop, I wasn't going to let this one go without a chase !!!! My insurer (and myself !!) are extremely happy to know I got it on tape ... Especially that we have the same insurer !!!!!

Damages are minor, as his right mirror hit my rear left lens his mirror flipped towards his window but left a black mark (about 12 inches long of black plastic coming from the cover of his mirror) on my rear left wing between the lens and the gas door ... The mark left on the body (no dent or paint removed) should disappear with some buffing from the aesthetic shop but the black trim of the lens is scratch a little bitas it got the first hit, will get it fix. Not sure if the black trim can be change by itself or need a whole lens assembly ... will see when I go to the dealer ...

By the way, I will NEVER give an inch to anyone anymore in the same situation !!!

Here is the mark left on the wing

Screen shot from dash cam app showing that I was stopped (0 km/h) and a 0.06 g car movement (for what it's worth !)
Blue Mitsubishi Lancer on the left is the "suspect" leaving after passing and hitting me (See video)

Attached Files
File Type: mov
20180405-7h07 (2).mov (1.91 MB, 232 views)

Last edited by slypx; 02-19-19 at 10:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
antonio98 (04-06-18)
Old 04-05-18, 12:13 PM
winglesss
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That incident sucks.

Good it was caught on the video recording.

Does the damage require paint, or can it be polished out?
slypx (04-06-18)
Old 04-05-18, 12:18 PM
slypx
Driver

Originally Posted by winglesss
That incident sucks.

Good it was caught on the video recording.

Does the damage require paint, or can it be polished out?
Don’t think there is a need for paint, 99% sure that buffing and polishing will be enough

Fuxionz28 (04-05-18)
Old 04-06-18, 02:04 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

That is awesome that the OEM dashcam includes a g-sensor! Harder to argue that contact wasn't made. I installed front and rear dashcams on our LS but it doesn't include a g-sensor like yours. Hope everything gets worked out to your satisfaction and sorry your good deed went punished by an inconsiderate driver.
slypx (04-06-18)
Old 04-06-18, 05:21 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Your policeman DNA took control of the situation and made the "Catch" How did you confront him? What did he say?
slypx (04-06-18)
Old 04-06-18, 07:57 PM
slypx
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Your policeman DNA took control of the situation and made the "Catch" How did you confront him? What did he say?
When I drove up next to him, flash the badge (not something I've ever done in 2 years of retirement and would do, I'm not a "wannabe" or "has been" but this one call for it and from 10 feet away, no one can read the fine print that says "retired" especially that I don't look like a retired guy :-) ...) Told him he hit me and that I got it on the dash cam ... told him to backup which he did ... All of this was certainly with an "authority tone" in my voice !! Guy is old enough (24) to see what he was in for if he had pursue his fleeing of the scene ... First he denied saying he only hit the curb on the left side but I reminded him that it's on video and that I saw it happened in my mirror showing him marks on his own mirror ... he just provided his info and we went on.

Today got called by the insurer's "investigator" telling me that after talking to him, all responsibilities will be his especially after viewing the video. The "suspect" denied trying to flee but the insurer didn't believe him and reminded him about the video ... Insurer told me his file will have an "attempted to flee" note ... probably meaning he will see a premium raise sooner then later :-). Will get the damage estimate next week and then go to my dealer to deal with the situation ...
Old 04-06-18, 08:03 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by slypx
When I drove up next to him, flash the badge (not something I've ever done in 2 years of retirement and would do, I'm not a "wannabe" or "has been" but this one call for it and from 10 feet away, no one can read the fine print that says "retired" especially that I don't look like a retired guy :-) ...) Told him he hit me and that I got it on the dash cam ... told him to backup which he did ... All of this was certainly with an "authority tone" in my voice !! Guy is old enough (24) to see what he was in for if he had pursue his fleeing of the scene ... First he denied saying he only hit the curb on the left side but I reminded him that it's on video and that I saw it happened in my mirror showing him marks on his own mirror ... he just provided his info and we went on.

Today got called by the insurer's "investigator" telling me that after talking to him, all responsibilities will be his especially after viewing the video. The "suspect" denied trying to flee but the insurer didn't believe him and reminded him about the video ... Insurer told me his file will have an "attempted to flee" note ... probably meaning he will see a premium raise sooner then later :-). Will get the damage estimate next week and then go to my dealer to deal with the situation ...

Bravo Sylvain. Justice has been served! Merci for sharing!
slypx (04-06-18)
Old 04-07-18, 06:37 AM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

After reading this thread, I contacted Lexus about the cam. Wow, it is expensive. Is there a third party model that you guys know about that’s comparable to this?
slypx (04-08-18)
Old 04-07-18, 07:02 AM
winglesss
Rookie

Is the camera / G-force sensor a factory option or a dealership installed option? My interest is for US availability.
Old 04-07-18, 07:54 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by sarhento
After reading this thread, I contacted Lexus about the cam. Wow, it is expensive. Is there a third party model that you guys know about that’s comparable to this?
sarhento, I'm not sure how much the OEM dashcam is but in situations like this I'm sure it is worth the peace of mind. I imagine any OEM option is going to have a premium. I am just impressed it includes g-sensor because often OEM tech can be behind the times. I have not researched dashcams in almost a year but I recall there are options to attach separate backup power to monitor your car even when the car is off, or to view dashcam footage on your phone without popping out the memory card, or receive text alerts, etc. Anyways, below are some links from other ClubLexus forums. They are about a year old but will provide a lot of good info on features to look for (such as capacitors instead of batteries to cope with heat and hot Summer temperatures), along with some YouTube comparisons of many different dashcam models and real-life video quality. PeteHarvey is a great resource and knows a lot more about dashcams than I do.

I went with two VIOFO A119S dashcams because, at the time, many 2-channel dashcams didn't have enough processing power to drive full HD resolution to both the front and back and/or were super expensive. Also, two separate VIOFO A119S were actually cheaper than the 2-channel models at the time. The VIOFO is about $85 on Amazon and comes with a long 11-ft USB cable. It has worked well for me and the video has helped in two cases when others unfortunately hit my car, and caught all manner of bad driving by others such as red light runners, texting while driving, wrong-way drivers, etc (not that I could do anything about those cases, it was just amusing to replay back to friends and family). I also have video of several near misses that clearly show the other driver would be at fault for. I wish the dashcam showed license plates better on the freeway at night but overall it has performed great without any troubles. If I ever upgrade the system then I will transfer my current setup to my wife's car. Hope the links below are helpful.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...endations.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...dations-2.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-dash-cam.html

Last edited by FatherTo1; 04-07-18 at 08:54 AM.
antonio98 (04-08-18)
Old 04-07-18, 10:24 AM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus Canada is selling their dash cam for approx. $500 . Although I am sold to the merit of having one, I am not quite ready to pay that much, hence, looking for other brands with similar features but less $
Old 04-07-18, 06:46 PM
highvoltag
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm confused...

You purchased an OEM dash cam
from the dealer?
As an option when you ordered the 2018?
You installed thinking that OEM thinking OEM means Optimal Emergency Mechanism.
What model is this "OEM" dash cam?
Old 04-08-18, 01:08 AM
winglesss
Rookie

Is the camera / G-force sensor a factory option or a dealership installed option? My interest is for US availability.
The OEM dash camera is a dealership-installed item.

IMO, this appears to be a well-made device, but has similar features to existing aftermarket devices.
Old 04-08-18, 03:02 AM
slypx
Driver

Originally Posted by sarhento
Got mine for free when I bought it. Yes there are some cheaper solution would not be able to provided you with a specific one
Old 04-08-18, 03:05 AM
slypx
Driver

Dealership installed here in Canada... It’s not showing on the US site ...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New NX and dash cam for a week and got minor "hit and run" today ... but caught him !