NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

2018 Nx300 F Sport.. engine vibrate at startup.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-18, 01:54 PM
is200turbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 Nx300 F Sport.. engine vibrate at startup.

Currently have 2000 miles and noticed the engine vibrates at cold start and warm start up and can feel inside the cabin.. Dropped car off to the dealer and they say this is say normal. I had a 2017 is200t and never had this issue.
anybody else have this issue with their 2018 NX Fsport?
Old 03-26-18, 04:37 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by is200turbo
Currently have 2000 miles and noticed the engine vibrates at cold start and warm start up and can feel inside the cabin.. Dropped car off to the dealer and they say this is say normal. I had a 2017 is200t and never had this issue.
Engine should not vibrate! So far I have no problems....only have about 800 miles.
Old 03-26-18, 05:06 PM
heffnerlex
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Depends on the severity of the vibration. I have felt the engine vibration many times in the NX (can be embarrassing in cold weather how badly you can feel the vibration). The 2018s have been greatly improved for less vibrations than the 2015-17 models. If you are having worse vibrations on your 2018 NX over your old NX, than that doesn't make a whole lot of sense and there could possibly be something wrong. Maybe try another Lexus dealership?
Old 03-26-18, 08:19 PM
is200turbo
Driver School Candidate

The dealer called back and said they they will hold the car a few more days. I hope they could figure it out by the end of the week.
Old 03-28-18, 05:53 PM
Newnx
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A non f sport version with 3500 miles. No vibrations at cold / warm startup.
Old 03-31-18, 05:36 PM
is200turbo
Driver School Candidate

So the dealer had the car for a week and could not reproduce the problem. Wife picks up the car and goes shopping and when she starts the car up to go home it starts to shake. Never going back to that dealer again. I'm going to a different dealer and hopefully they can figure this out. If anyone out there has the same problem please let me know. I did not spend all this money on a brand new car to have it vibrate.
Old 03-31-18, 06:26 PM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

So the dealer had the car for a week and could not reproduce the problem. Wife picks up the car and goes shopping and when she starts the car up to go home it starts to shake. Never going back to that dealer again. I'm going to a different dealer and hopefully they can figure this out. If anyone out there has the same problem please let me know. I did not spend all this money on a brand new car to have it vibrate.
Start documenting paperwork from your dealer....keep in mind about the lemon law, if your in a state that has it.
Not exactly sure but if you document either 6 or 7 of the same complaints with no fix than your entitled to a new car.
Old 05-03-18, 07:09 AM
is200turbo
Driver School Candidate

Update.
Wife made a complaint with corporate but they told us to go back to the same dealer. They had the car for a week but unable to reproduce the complaint. So their tech drove the car home and was able to reproduce the engine shaking in the morning. BUT now they say they started up a brand new car and it had the same vibrations. SO they say it is normal. All a sudden they feel the shake but now it is a normal condition... This is the last lexus we will ever buy. Going to trade the car in for a Mercedes.
Old 05-03-18, 09:15 AM
Mjs61084
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel your pain!! I’ve tried not to think about the issues I have with my 2017 because it drives me absolutely insane. I have given up on the service department and I think Lexus in general. I will not ever purchase one again. I have wasted more time trying to get help and at this point it’s not even worth the time anymore.

I purchased my NX in August when it was warm out. As soon as the temperature dropped the engine started vibrating. I can feel it in the steering wheel, in the seat, and in the floorboard. I took it in once for this and they told me it was normal. As the weather started fluctuating it would go from no vibrations to vibrating, it really is dependent on the weather. The only “fix” I’ve found is to not use the auto climate control and turn the AC off in the winter or on cool evenings. I do agree it’s definitely embarrassing.

Also, be prepared, because if this drives you crazy just wait until you get a couple more thousand miles....the NX has what they call floating brake pads or floating calipers I can’t remember what he told me. At about 8K miles, I noticed that every time I would go from drive to reverse start rolling and tap the brakes it makes the most awful clunking noise from the brakes. Not only is the noise there, it’s not consistent. Sometimes all 4 brakes make the noise at the same time and sometimes they will all make the noise within seconds of each other. So you get to hear pop, pop, pop, pop within a matter of seconds. The best I can describe this is a popping noise. They could reproduce it only on the used vehicles on the lot, but not a brand new one. Since it was there on their used vehicles it was deemed normal.

My vehicle has been at the dealership for a total of about 4 weeks off and on since August 2017, I opened a case with Lexus corporate over the brake noise and the engine vibrations. It was a drawn out process I had to meet with the service manager, he had to meet with their corporate representative, etc. Lexus corporate ended up giving me a free service to make me go away. The dealership always tells me that they can reproduce these things on other cars in the lot which makes it normal and not a defect. I’m not sure that I can hold the dealership accountable though because they can’t necessarily fix a defect that is present on all used NXs. Take that statement lightly though, because at the end of the day it’s still completely unacceptable for Toyota’s flagship brand.

The exact words of the corporate rep was “these aren’t what we call defects, these are what we call characteristics of the vehicle.” I bet!!
Old 05-03-18, 09:52 AM
john341
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjs61084
Also, be prepared, because if this drives you crazy just wait until you get a couple more thousand miles....the NX has what they call floating brake pads or floating calipers I can’t remember what he told me. At about 8K miles, I noticed that every time I would go from drive to reverse start rolling and tap the brakes it makes the most awful clunking noise from the brakes. Not only is the noise there, it’s not consistent. Sometimes all 4 brakes make the noise at the same time and sometimes they will all make the noise within seconds of each other. So you get to hear pop, pop, pop, pop within a matter of seconds. The best I can describe this is a popping noise. They could reproduce it only on the used vehicles on the lot, but not a brand new one. Since it was there on their used vehicles it was deemed normal.
That is an easy problem to fix. Ask the dealership to apply brake grease on the back plates and the shims of the brake pads. This is pretty common issue across automotive world, what happens is the when the car is washed, the grease runs off and it starts to make the noise. It is not going to damage anything in the long run.
Old 05-15-18, 08:48 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Yep. All calipers from the beginning of time tend to click when going back and forth. your brakes have these things called "pads" and the tolerance isn't perfect (it's not supposed to be). the pads need to be able to move (particularly where the "ears" where they contact the guides) to be able to move especially with dust build up so they don't bind and squeak.

As far as vibration can you post a video? I'm guessing it's not really an inherent aspect of the engine/mechanicals, but the way your engine is mounted vs. how it is in the IS. transverse. Cause my IS200t runs supremely smooth in all conditions. When you have a FWD car, the forces of the engine rock the car on a smaller axis (left to right tires) vs front to back on a RWD car front to back tires. In other words, the "vibrations" are the same but when the engine is turned sideways, they act on the car a different way. This is my guess as to why many in the NX complain about vibration.
Old 05-15-18, 01:04 PM
Mjs61084
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have NEVER had a vehicle that had clicking brake pads. Ever. I know how calipers and brake pads work. Thanks!
Old 05-15-18, 03:27 PM
Lex2000TL
Intermediate

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mjs61084
I have NEVER had a vehicle that had clicking brake pads. Ever. I know how calipers and brake pads work. Thanks!
+1
This is just lousy NX brakes design. I am sure the brakes will last and work quite well, but clicking noise is irritating and not Lexus-like.
Old 03-10-19, 11:02 AM
liyanaj
Driver School Candidate

Default NX 300 Engine Vibration

Yes, I have engine vibration when the engine is running about 1250 RPM. It is bit louder during cold days. I have about 6000Km on it. Service technician said this is normal and he gave me another 2018 NX 300 to try while he was doing the service to my one. I found the same vibration at 1250RPM and that vehicle had 11km on it. This problem may be inherent to this model or the way it behaves. I am a bit of frustrated. I had a Subaru Forester before for five years and did not have any problem. Don't know what to do now.
Old 03-11-19, 11:10 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Yup, count me in on this...I'm going to take a stab at it shortly again.

There is a TSB with an engine ECU reflash for it, which they did to my vehicle due to an unrelated issue, it made the vibrations worse if anything.

Quick Reply: 2018 Nx300 F Sport.. engine vibrate at startup.