NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Rear Hatch Won't Open Using Dash Button

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-18, 04:16 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear Hatch Won't Open Using Dash Button

I'm having an issue that the dealership said they fixed for me at my first service. Unless I open the driver's side door, I cannot open the rear hatch on my 2017 NX 200t. So I'm parked and waiting for my partner to bring something to the car from the store. When he arrives and is waiting at the back of the NX I try opening the hatch using the button on the dash. This is either with the engine running or off, I press the button and I hear two beeps from the car and the rear hatch doesn't open. I can try multiple times and nothing happens other than the two beeps. If I open the driver's side door then press the rear hatch button then I get a single beep and the hatch will open.

Is the normal behaviour? The dealership didn't think it was normal but my 2011 RX used to do the same thing. They said it was fixed and when I tried to open it with the driver's door closed and engine off it worked at the dealership, but today it didn't work at home.

Any ideas?
Old 03-16-18, 05:36 PM
legrunt
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Had a loaner from the dealer for a while. When I first took delivery of it, it exhibited this same behaviour, but after restarting the car a few times, it kinda self corrected and performed as expected for the rest of the two weeks. Really not sure what was happening. Sorry, wish I could have been more help.
Old 03-16-18, 06:12 PM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
I'm having an issue that the dealership said they fixed for me at my first service. Unless I open the driver's side door, I cannot open the rear hatch on my 2017 NX 200t. So I'm parked and waiting for my partner to bring something to the car from the store. When he arrives and is waiting at the back of the NX I try opening the hatch using the button on the dash. This is either with the engine running or off, I press the button and I hear two beeps from the car and the rear hatch doesn't open. I can try multiple times and nothing happens other than the two beeps. If I open the driver's side door then press the rear hatch button then I get a single beep and the hatch will open.

Is the normal behaviour? The dealership didn't think it was normal but my 2011 RX used to do the same thing. They said it was fixed and when I tried to open it with the driver's door closed and engine off it worked at the dealership, but today it didn't work at home.

Any ideas?
i have an identical experience with my 2018 nx300 f sport.
Old 03-18-18, 07:02 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Go into vehicle settings and check if it's not set up that way. May be simple safety feature. Also, is your gear shifter in D when you trying to open tailgate? Vehicle may believe that you are driving and gate won't open if you are driving. Safety.
Old 03-18-18, 10:03 AM
Doug007
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

The same thing happened to me a few times...would hear the "beep" but nothing would happen. I never figured out the issue but thankfully hasn't reoccured in awhile. Ukrkoz has some good thoughts on it for the next time this occurs. Off subject but one of the safety features is to turn the power door when going through a car wash. That would be awkward to have that tripped mid cycle.
Old 03-18-18, 12:53 PM
olgzr
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a problem when we first got the NX. I didn’t press and hold the button long enough when trying to open the hatch. A short press would result in a beep and nothing else. (It may have unlocked the doors). A longer press would open the hatch. I also noticed that if I was using the button on the dash, I had to shut off the car for it to work.

Last edited by olgzr; 02-03-19 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-18-18, 01:31 PM
sarhento
Driver

I have the same problem. Pressed the button, 2 beeps but the door does not open.
Old 03-20-18, 07:15 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

To change the way this works, go into the customization settings, the car has to be in acc mode, but not turned on. Under door lock settings, make sure its set to all doors open when shifting into park. This will open all doors (including the rear hatch) after you put the car in park and then you will be able to open the rear hatch with the dash button without first hitting unlock on the driver side door.
The following users liked this post:
TorontoIS (03-21-18)
Old 03-21-18, 06:24 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gompka
To change the way this works, go into the customization settings, the car has to be in acc mode, but not turned on. Under door lock settings, make sure its set to all doors open when shifting into park. This will open all doors (including the rear hatch) after you put the car in park and then you will be able to open the rear hatch with the dash button without first hitting unlock on the driver side door.
I believe these are the settings on my NX currently, but I will check this when I get home to confirm.
Old 03-21-18, 08:29 PM
iizbor3d
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I noticed if I don't have all the doors unlocked the hatch won't open with the button. So for example today I opened the drivers side door with my hand, which left all other doors locked, the hatch wouldn't open with the button just beeped twice. Once I unlocked all doors the hatch opened.
Old 03-22-18, 03:59 PM
sarhento
Driver

Originally Posted by iizbor3d
I noticed if I don't have all the doors unlocked the hatch won't open with the button. So for example today I opened the drivers side door with my hand, which left all other doors locked, the hatch wouldn't open with the button just beeped twice. Once I unlocked all doors the hatch opened.
yeah, i think that’s how it is supposed to work.
Old 03-25-18, 08:17 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Ok so it does work as you guys said all the doors must be unlocked for it to work, not sure about the logic but that is necessary. Thanks guys.
Old 02-02-19, 02:40 PM
BePretty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry How could a door not possibly open if locked in trunk?

Originally Posted by gompka
If this is the actual fix, did Toyota ever consider a manual operation like the doors? It may be time to start shopping for a different vehicle.
Old 02-02-19, 02:43 PM
BePretty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by legrunt
Had a loaner from the dealer for a while. When I first took delivery of it, it exhibited this same behaviour, but after restarting the car a few times, it kinda self corrected and performed as expected for the rest of the two weeks. Really not sure what was happening. Sorry, wish I could have been more help.
Kinda? Sorta? Mighta? Woulda? Could've? Should've? I smell a recall with installation of manual handles.
Old 02-02-19, 03:39 PM
gompka
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts

a manual handle isn't necessary since the car does not have an enclosed trunk. Having the doors unlocked before allowing the trunk to unlock is probably a safety feature, same reason the windows roll down with key fob but won't roll back up.

Quick Reply: Rear Hatch Won't Open Using Dash Button