NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

OEM Touch Up Paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 08:53 PM
iizbor3d
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Default OEM Touch Up Paint

So unfortunately today while driving behind a truck about 35mph on the highway, his back tires picked up a big ball of something flung it into my roof and left a nice dent and scratches on my less than a month old 2018 NX. Some of the paint came off to the metal so I want to buy some paint to prevent rust until I get the funds to repair it a shop. My paint code is 085 (pearl white) is there a difference between OEM and aftermarket paint? I saw some aftermarket paint and code 085 is a different color? Is stopping by the dealer the best place to get a touch up kit or are there any sites that sell oem paint?
Old 01-25-18, 03:21 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

First sorry about that!!! If you are going to later get it fixed by a professional than I would recommend just getting the paint at the dealer. I have found on the pearl white it is not a good blend but you are doing it just to avoid the rust. Another option would be just go to any auto store and buy a white primer if this fix is just temporary to avoid rust. Kit attached gets very good reviews.

https://www.drcolorchip.com/
Old 01-25-18, 07:05 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Freds430
First sorry about that!!! If you are going to later get it fixed by a professional than I would recommend just getting the paint at the dealer. I have found on the pearl white it is not a good blend but you are doing it just to avoid the rust. Another option would be just go to any auto store and buy a white primer if this fix is just temporary to avoid rust.
I agree. Unfortunately for your situation, pearl whites are 3 stage pearl finishes, and they are among the most difficult colors for which to get a satisfactory color match. Getting a satisfactory touch up will likely be next to impossible. Even with refinishing the entire panel, a skilled paint technician will likely have to blend the paint into adjacent panels to get an acceptable color match.

Originally Posted by Freds430
Kit attached gets very good reviews.

https://www.drcolorchip.com/
A couple of years ago, I bought the DrColorChip kits for 2 vehicles, and I was not impressed with the results. Over the years, I've developed good techniques for using traditional touch up paint, and I'm confident in saying that, with using good techniques, I can get better results with traditional touch up paint than what I could get with the DrColorChip products. It may be the case that the DrColorChip kits produce better results than traditional touch up paint than traditional touch up paint for those who don't use good techniques using the traditional touch up paint, but, for me, I found the DrColorChip results to be far from satisfactory.
Old 01-25-18, 09:19 AM
crankshaft
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

White primer spray can is the way to go because you are planning on getting it repaired later.....I'd buy the cheapest from Big Lots or Walmart.
Old 01-25-18, 04:09 PM
iNfectious
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup go by the paint code on your door jam. Different color names for different sales markets

My paint code is 083 and I have found out there are different names for it.
Old 01-25-18, 05:26 PM
iizbor3d
Pit Crew

Thanks for the info everyone! Stopped by a shop was estimated $500 to fix the dent and paint. He said since it's on the roof and white pearl paint it'll be more difficult.
Old 01-26-18, 06:29 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iizbor3d
Thanks for the info everyone! Stopped by a shop was estimated $500 to fix the dent and paint. He said since it's on the roof and white pearl paint it'll be more difficult.
A few thoughts.

First, the $500 estimate that you got seems to be quite reasonable. In fact, it seems to be somewhat low. With having to remove the dent and with the refinishing and blending that will be necessary with working with a multi-stage pearl paint color, there is a good amount of work that will need to be done to do the job properly.

I would suggest doing some research and choosing the best shop that you can find. Getting a satisfactory job done with a multi-stage pearl requires a highly skilled paint technician, and trying to correct a poorly done job would require blending the new paint even further back into adjacent panels.

The comprehensive coverage of your insurance policy should apply to this repair. Some insurance policies have no deductible comprehensive coverage and some have a deductible. In any case, you should get at least some payment for the repairs, and claims for comprehensive coverage do not affect your insurance rates.

Finally, if you are planning to have the repairs done reasonably soon, I would not suggest trying to temporarily apply touch up paint. In a short period of time, there should not be any significant rust, and any touch up paint that you apply just means that the shop will have to do a bit more work to remove it before doing the repairs.
The following users liked this post:
iizbor3d (01-26-18)
Old 01-26-18, 03:59 PM
iizbor3d
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lesz
A few thoughts.

First, the $500 estimate that you got seems to be quite reasonable. In fact, it seems to be somewhat low. With having to remove the dent and with the refinishing and blending that will be necessary with working with a multi-stage pearl paint color, there is a good amount of work that will need to be done to do the job properly.

I would suggest doing some research and choosing the best shop that you can find. Getting a satisfactory job done with a multi-stage pearl requires a highly skilled paint technician, and trying to correct a poorly done job would require blending the new paint even further back into adjacent panels.

The comprehensive coverage of your insurance policy should apply to this repair. Some insurance policies have no deductible comprehensive coverage and some have a deductible. In any case, you should get at least some payment for the repairs, and claims for comprehensive coverage do not affect your insurance rates.

Finally, if you are planning to have the repairs done reasonably soon, I would not suggest trying to temporarily apply touch up paint. In a short period of time, there should not be any significant rust, and any touch up paint that you apply just means that the shop will have to do a bit more work to remove it before doing the repairs.
Went to another shop they quoted me $300. I asked them how are they planning to do the job and they said remove the windshield and the roof liner and get the dent out that way. They said pearl white is hard to match, but showed me good pictures of work done before. Wondering if anyone could recommend a good shop in the NYC area? Not planning on doing the job now as it's a lease so I'll fix it before the lease is up.
Old 01-26-18, 04:13 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iizbor3d
Went to another shop they quoted me $300. I asked them how are they planning to do the job and they said remove the windshield and the roof liner and get the dent out that way. They said pearl white is hard to match, but showed me good pictures of work done before. Wondering if anyone could recommend a good shop in the NYC area? Not planning on doing the job now as it's a lease so I'll fix it before the lease is up.
I wouldn't make any judgments about the shop's quality of work from pictures. With paint work, and especially with a multi-stage pearl, how the finished product looks can vary significantly depending on the light and the angle from which the repaired area is viewed. From one angle and in some light, the work can appear to be perfect, but, from another angle and with different light, the repainted area can stick out like a sore thumb.

I said, in a previous post, that $500 seemed reasonable or even low. A $300 estimate really strikes me as being low. Possibly, I don't have a good understanding as to what the extent of the damage is. If the dent is between the windshield and the sunroof and if the paint damage is confined to a very small area, there is the potential that they could spot in new color in a very small area and blend it out only in the space between the windshield and the sunroof, but they would still need to clear coat the entire panel. If the damage is like I just described, that might reduce my initial guess about cost. Still $300 for even very minor body/paint work is very low.
Old 01-26-18, 04:17 PM
iizbor3d
Pit Crew

$300 did strike me as incredibly low, but you can never know truly how good a shop really is.
If interested here's dash cam footage. Ignore my Russian cursing in the end.

Last edited by iizbor3d; 01-26-18 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-27-18, 12:51 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

need a translation of what you said, although I can imagine...
Old 01-28-18, 07:32 PM
iizbor3d
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by typocl
need a translation of what you said, although I can imagine...
Whatever you imagine except worse
Old 01-28-18, 08:08 PM
typocl
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

not sure what your deductible is, but the video is good proof that you're not making things up
Old 01-29-18, 09:50 AM
iizbor3d
Pit Crew

it's $1000 not worth it
Old 01-31-18, 11:55 AM
Terpsfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad that did not come through your windshield! I had a friend have a bolt come through her windshield and it imbedded into her passenger seat. Good thing she wasn't carrying a passenger at the time.

Quick Reply: OEM Touch Up Paint