NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus Enform 2.0 to update with Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-18, 12:14 AM
akkim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, it didn't go well. As expected, there was no upgrade method available. The 5-day exchange thing was for used-car sales only. I'm (actually, my mom) stuck with the car with no navigation. (The car was for my mother.) Since she is a non-English speaker, iPhone map is the only navigation app she can handle well. (After switching iOS to here native language.) On the other hand, Scout GPS is totally unusable.

I sent a message to Lexus on Twitter. If anyone here is using twitter, please retweet following message:

Thanks!
AK
Old 12-21-18, 08:39 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

You didn't hear this from me, BUT April 2019 Lexus will update all 2018-2019 NX to have Carplay.
Old 12-21-18, 12:14 PM
akkim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by skyshadow
You didn't hear this from me, BUT April 2019 Lexus will update all 2018-2019 NX to have Carplay.
If that is really going to happen, that's great news! All my problems will be away. I wish Lexus announce something officially soon.
Old 12-21-18, 05:41 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

This could save me some money as the NX I'm looking at with CarPlay is priced higher. Unless they are going to charge for the update.
Old 12-21-18, 07:59 PM
cp73
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshadow
Skyshadow
Wow you made my Christmas....hope its real...
Old 12-21-18, 09:37 PM
gregnorz
Driver School Candidate

After driving my 2019 NX for a week, I have to say I’m woefully unimpressed with CarPlay. The UI doesn’t show anything other than track name and artist for music, I haven’t been able to get traffic in Maps or Waze. I don’t really use any of the supported apps, either, except Spotify which won’t launch more than about 20% of the time. I find myself defaulting back to the factory interface and just using Bluetooth more often than not.
Old 12-21-18, 09:53 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Poor implementation by Lexus?
Old 12-21-18, 09:57 PM
gregnorz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ross7777
Poor implementation by Lexus?
No, CarPlay is CarPlay. All Lexus needs to do is integrate the software with existing controls and provide and MFI-Certifed USB port. If the apps are lackluster, that’s on Apple and third-party developers.
Old 12-21-18, 10:51 PM
cp73
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gregnorz
I find myself defaulting back to the factory interface and just using Bluetooth more often than not.
Are you referring to just playing your music/podcasts on your iPhone through the Nx entertainment system? Or can more be done?

Old 12-22-18, 03:33 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

I’m surprised by this because I tried it in a 2019 RDX and it worked great. Traffic along with album artwork for the music were both displayed at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
gregnorz (12-23-18)
Old 12-22-18, 11:25 AM
akkim
Driver School Candidate

The new NX is mainly for my mother. She is 69-year-old non-English speaker. Apple Map is the only navigation app she could use comfortably. (Language selection and UI) I really don't want an ugly phone holder hanging in the new car.
Old 12-23-18, 07:17 AM
gregnorz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cp73
Are you referring to just playing your music/podcasts on your iPhone through the Nx entertainment system? Or can more be done?
Right now I'm just testing out the apps with CarPlay, then I'll disconnect and use the Enform platform apps + the built-in functionality. The CarPlay is growing on me as I learn more. I do wish the map apps (Maps, Google Maps, and Waze) had better destination integration. It would be nice to choose a dest in, say, Maps, but then flip over to Waze to get more detailed traffic. That's probably a limitation in the CarPlay SDK, though.
Old 12-23-18, 07:19 AM
gregnorz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by akkim
The new NX is mainly for my mother. She is 69-year-old non-English speaker. Apple Map is the only navigation app she could use comfortably. (Language selection and UI) I really don't want an ugly phone holder hanging in the new car.
Check out phone mount reviews on thewirecutter.com - you can find one that's not horribly intrusive. Buy a longer Lightning cable from Anker and run it to the mount. If she has wireless charging on her phone, you can get mounts that support that as well, and they're not too intrusive (IMO).
Old 12-23-18, 04:42 PM
akkim
Driver School Candidate

Check out phone mount reviews on thewirecutter.com - you can find one that's not horribly intrusive. Buy a longer Lightning cable from Anker and run it to the mount. If she has wireless charging on her phone, you can get mounts that support that as well, and they're not too intrusive (IMO).
Thanks you for the advice. Yes, I'm currently looking at several options. (magnet/non-magnet and several different mounting methods.) Making things difficult is that she's using a phone case with flip cover. Magnet type is mostly not usable. Anyway, hopefully, this will be a temporary solution until CarPlay upgrade becomes available. (If Lexus ever provide the upgrade...)
Old 12-23-18, 07:52 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

After driving my 2019 NX for a week, I have to say I’m woefully unimpressed with CarPlay. The UI doesn’t show anything other than track name and artist for music, I haven’t been able to get traffic in Maps or Waze. I don’t really use any of the supported apps, either, except Spotify which won’t launch more than about 20% of the time. I find myself defaulting back to the factory interface and just using Bluetooth more often than not.
I have heard this MULTIPLE times. Carplay is really played up like it is some heaven sent, but honestly car companies have caught up and passed them in the tech dept. I don't know why people want to turn off our dynamic nav and voice so they can talk to Apple and use the slower processing power of their phone to do it. And before someone states "well Lexus messed it up", Lexus has nothing to do with Apple Carplay. It's is a OS of it's own. You turn off our OS and start theirs. We do nothing.

Quick Reply: Lexus Enform 2.0 to update with Apple CarPlay