Lexus Enform 2.0 to update with Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 05:08 AM
Nubbish
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cwonglex
any response from lexus corporate?
Yes, and pretty much nothing new that helps us understand what’s going on and kinda vague. Heres the response:

Thank you for contacting Lexus about your 2018 NX 300.

As a valued owner, we certainly appreciate the time you are taking to share your thoughts.

As an iPhone user myself, I can certainly relate to you wanting Apple CarPlay in your specific model. Lexus strives to offer products and services that match our customers' diverse driving needs, and we continuously evaluate emerging technologies for use in our vehicles.

You should know, Apple CarPlay has made its debut in the all-new 2019 ES, 2019 LC, 2019 LS, 2019 RC, and the newly released 2019 UX. Also, you are correct, Apple CarPlay is standard on all 2019 NX models from October 2018 production.

From a corporate standpoint, we cannot promise that a retro-active update will become available for your model at this time, but we do want to assure you that your feedback is very important to us, and will be documented here at the Lexus National Headquarters, where it will remain available for review by the appropriate departments.

We certainly appreciate your inquiry and interest. You can sign up for the latest updates with our RSS Feed and/or receive email alerts when new information is posted in the Lexus USA Newsroom. Also, Lexus Drivers is the best way to learn about our current and future vehicles, and our exclusive rewards and events. You can also visit our Reveals page or our New Models page, or follow us on social media and join our community.

Thank you for choosing Lexus for your driving needs. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,
Old 01-27-19, 09:13 AM
cwonglex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nubbish

Yes, and pretty much nothing new that helps us understand what’s going on and kinda vague. Heres the response:

Thank you for contacting Lexus about your 2018 NX 300.

As a valued owner, we certainly appreciate the time you are taking to share your thoughts.

As an iPhone user myself, I can certainly relate to you wanting Apple CarPlay in your specific model. Lexus strives to offer products and services that match our customers' diverse driving needs, and we continuously evaluate emerging technologies for use in our vehicles.

You should know, Apple CarPlay has made its debut in the all-new 2019 ES, 2019 LC, 2019 LS, 2019 RC, and the newly released 2019 UX. Also, you are correct, Apple CarPlay is standard on all 2019 NX models from October 2018 production.

From a corporate standpoint, we cannot promise that a retro-active update will become available for your model at this time, but we do want to assure you that your feedback is very important to us, and will be documented here at the Lexus National Headquarters, where it will remain available for review by the appropriate departments.

We certainly appreciate your inquiry and interest. You can sign up for the latest updates with our RSS Feed and/or receive email alerts when new information is posted in the Lexus USA Newsroom. Also, Lexus Drivers is the best way to learn about our current and future vehicles, and our exclusive rewards and events. You can also visit our Reveals page or our New Models page, or follow us on social media and join our community.

Thank you for choosing Lexus for your driving needs. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,
thanks, well at least you tried. I guess for now we all just wait and see...
Old 01-27-19, 05:39 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by kubakj
Isnt there Alexa app on the dash that you can ask questions to?
There is Alexa home to car. This is just having Alexa start your car or check how much fuel you have.. etc etc. Essentially asking Alexa to ask Lexus to check your Remote account specs. This has been available for all Remote capable cars, everything since 2016.

Then there is Car to World with Lexus+Alexa. This allows the dynamic nav to work with Alexa. Essentially using Alexa (the super computer) to access info about the world while driving. This could be a cool feature if you go into your Amazon account and unlock all the sub systems. But this is not a system that completely replaces our Nav and such. It just works with it. It actually resides in the app area. Anyways, Lexus+Alexa is supported on the following models: 2019 Model Year: ES, LS, LC, UX, RC, and select NX and RC F.. the ones produced after Oct 1, 2018

You can shop on Amazon Prime too while in the car.. Real safe.
Old 01-30-19, 06:39 PM
kubakj
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshadow
There is Alexa home to car. This is just having Alexa start your car or check how much fuel you have.. etc etc. Essentially asking Alexa to ask Lexus to check your Remote account specs. This has been available for all Remote capable cars, everything since 2016.

Then there is Car to World with Lexus+Alexa. This allows the dynamic nav to work with Alexa. Essentially using Alexa (the super computer) to access info about the world while driving. This could be a cool feature if you go into your Amazon account and unlock all the sub systems. But this is not a system that completely replaces our Nav and such. It just works with it. It actually resides in the app area. Anyways, Lexus+Alexa is supported on the following models: 2019 Model Year: ES, LS, LC, UX, RC, and select NX and RC F.. the ones produced after Oct 1, 2018

You can shop on Amazon Prime too while in the car.. Real safe.
Is this Car to World with Lexus+Alexa also be retrofitted into NX2019 pre-October (still pissed that seller lied me about availability of it...)
Old 01-31-19, 10:03 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

^ That is a good question, I can not say yes on that one. It is not even mentioned around here as part of the retro fit.
Old 02-01-19, 06:52 AM
kubakj
Rookie

^ That is a good question, I can not say yes on that one. It is not even mentioned around here as part of the retro fit.
still no secret date it will be available? Do you think in June it should be available?
Old 02-01-19, 06:53 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by kubakj

still no secret date it will be available? Do you think in June it should be available?
April was mentioned but not sure if that’s still the case.
Old 02-01-19, 07:41 AM
yvan_es350
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In Fall 2018, on a phone conversation with Lexus, I was also told that CarPlay would be rolling out in April 2019 for my NX 2018. I'll see if Lexus is loyal to their words, values and to their customers. Honesty...

Last edited by yvan_es350; 02-01-19 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-01-19, 08:22 AM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Ugh, welp they found this thread and are not happy. Things are very UNOFFICIAL as of right now. I have been told to delete this thread. I'm not the OP so that's not my problem. I will stop replying though... sorry guys
Old 02-01-19, 09:32 AM
elettron10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh, welp they found this thread and are not happy. Things are very UNOFFICIAL as of right now. I have been told to delete this thread. I'm not the OP so that's not my problem. I will stop replying though... sorry guys
Thanks for updating us. We ,as customers, have a reason to be unhappy about how Lexus is handling this. Lexus should actively monitor forums to see the customer feedback but it has no business in complaining or closing the thread. They are taking the wrong approach.
This lack of communication is very disappointing.
Old 02-01-19, 02:53 PM
kubakj
Rookie

Now I am 100% sure there will be no carplay for pre-October 2019 or 2018 NX. They wouldnt stay that secret about it
Old 02-12-19, 04:37 PM
Dayclone
Driver School Candidate

I wonder if we could flash our older vehicles with a new software version with the CarPlay to unlock or have this feature? Because I have a 2016 Nx, and would love to have carplay.
Old 02-14-19, 08:38 PM
TigetJacks
Rookie

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey everyone, it seems we are all wondering which vehicles are getting Apple Carplay/Google Auto. Well I've been doing a lot of reading of auto industry news and technology advancements and I've read that the system that Toyota uses in their car's, starting with the 2018 Camry is referred to as "Automotive Grade Linux" and is essentially a cross manufacturer consortium, lead by the Linux foundation that is developing the "infotainment" systems for many of the auto manufacturers and they (Toyota) are on ver 3.0 for their vehicles. In short, although I have not found anything that points in the direction of compatibility, All the articles I've read so far point to the ability of the industry to utilize an Open Source solution that will be compatible not only across the industry but for an entire line of head units. The head units that are in the 2018 / 2019 LS500 are all the same (got that from the dealer) and therefore have the same mappings and Oh btw, can be upgraded with an over the air push - or in service patch. So based on what I'm reading and hearing, I believe we are at a point where these companies - Toyota included - are looking to monetize this capability. If that is the case, it's a shame, but its the same they've done with their remote app. Here is a link to the AGL (Automotive Grade Linux site) See if someone can find a thread that talks about the head unit and mapped functions of button, usb and mouse pad.

I had to return and edit this note I've made. Looking more into the AGL code and expert groups, specifically at the presentation demo at CES, I'm seeing Japanese engineering all over their pages. I'd bet if I continue to read and review more of their coding and project outlines, I might just find Toyota is leading this effort. Also, as part of the overall technical use cases outlined on their page AGL, 3rd Party Integration is included and not a "plug-in" or foreign system implementation. In other words, the controls are already in the code!!! Would that then be a surprise?

https://www.automotivelinux.org/anno...sumer-vehicles

Last edited by TigetJacks; 02-14-19 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 09:15 PM
TigetJacks
Rookie

More info about the auto-industries anxiety about Google - not so much Apple. What an interesting read to learn that these companies are working diligently to lock Google out of the auto market by creating their own IVI system to compete with google: https://barrgroup.com/articles/automotive-grade-linux

The more I read the more it appears there is a war waging in the automotive infotainment arena:
https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1331834

From EE Times; When EE Times last fall interviewed Masahiro Suzuki, vice president, head of automotive information solution business division at Renesas, he said its R-Car Starter Kits are designed to simplify development of the automotive Linux environment. “We’re keen on proliferating our platform among software developers,” he told us. Suzuki stressed, “Open source code like AGL will help alleviate fragmentation, making portability of software code possible.” - There you have it $$$$$ - that's why such hard competition and the stalling. I'm trying to find the spec's of the Head Units for Toyota and Lexus - Hold on.

Last edited by TigetJacks; 02-14-19 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 09:33 PM
TigetJacks
Rookie

More steamy AGL news from the Linux Foundation: https://www.eenewsautomotive.com/new...gh-open-source

Quick Reply: Lexus Enform 2.0 to update with Apple CarPlay