NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus Enform 2.0 to update with Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-19, 03:29 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmask5
To me this makes no sense. Apple car play is a piece of software. The only thing i can think of is the current head unit is not powerful enough to run it. Maybe need more ram or something. On USB side maybe you need usb 3.0 and the old models only have 2.0.
Piece of anecdotal historical evidence here. BMW from CCC idrive to CIC idrive midway through a MY for the 5 series came to the same conclusion. Hardware problem. However being BMW, the aftermarket stepped in, starting offering retrofits for some change, and introduced additional remote software enabled options. While I dont know what the issue here is, these are modules, and you cant just add ram, or hdd/ssd, or a cpu. Modules by module here.
Old 01-11-19, 03:45 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

I’m not aware of any major technical change from 2018 to 2019 or even early 2019 to current 2019. The hardware was refreshed for the 2018 MY. Same screen, same controls.

Maybe someone has more technical knowledge of what exactly changed.
Old 01-11-19, 03:47 PM
elettron10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me this makes no sense. Apple car play is a piece of software. The only thing i can think of is the current head unit is not powerful enough to run it. Maybe need more ram or something. On USB side maybe you need usb 3.0 and the old models only have 2.0.
Unfortunately it makes perfect sense...Apple probably requires some head unit with minimum HW specs and the NX pre-Oct don't meet these requirements, so they will never get upgraded.
Old 01-11-19, 03:48 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ross7777
I’m not aware of any major technical change from 2018 to 2019 or even early 2019 to current 2019. The hardware was refreshed for the 2018 MY. Same screen, same controls.

Maybe someone has more technical knowledge of what exactly changed.
check a parts diagram...
Old 01-11-19, 03:50 PM
Jmask5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Piece of anecdotal historical evidence here. BMW from CCC idrive to CIC idrive midway through a MY for the 5 series came to the same conclusion. Hardware problem. However being BMW, the aftermarket stepped in, starting offering retrofits for some change, and introduced additional remote software enabled options. While I dont know what the issue here is, these are modules, and you cant just add ram, or hdd/ssd, or a cpu. Modules by module here.
thats whats I meant if its the hardware that is bot good enough then that could be the issue. You will not be able to upgrade ram or cpu.

here is the issue I think

”Apple will have all of its CarPlay hardware go through the MFi program, which means the product will require an authentication chip that aims to prevent unofficial products from offering the CarPlay feature.”

Last edited by Jmask5; 01-11-19 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-11-19, 04:18 PM
elettron10
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a quick look at the Lexus parts website, 2018 and 2019 NX have the same Navigation/Front monitor.

https://parts.lexusofenglewood.com/a...7410-8603.html
Old 01-11-19, 04:21 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

thats whats I meant if its the hardware that is bot good enough then that could be the issue. You will not be able to upgrade ram or cpu.

here is the issue I think

”Apple will have all of its CarPlay hardware go through the MFi program, which means the product will require an authentication chip that aims to prevent unofficial products from offering the CarPlay feature.”

Sure. But other vehicle brands have upgraded after the fact. So it is possible.
Old 01-12-19, 05:07 PM
Jmask5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ross7777

Sure. But other vehicle brands have upgraded after the fact. So it is possible.
I wish man I have a 2019. I was told after I picked up the car in october that there will be an upgrade program and to check my email.
Old 01-13-19, 06:45 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Wouldn't surprise me if it was a hardware issue. Whatever is running Enform is massively underwhelming.
Old 01-14-19, 07:48 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nubbish
After speaking with them for a long time this weekend they said the 2019 models were split. So the ones made early won't have it, but the ones with it are just now rolling in. They said the headunits are completely different between the two models. I don't think they'll offer it as a retrofit just because the amount of work it takes, pretty much have to tear up the whole front of the car. If they do, it might have an outrageous price tag. But I'm going with what they told me, that it won't be available. Unless the other guy who said April 2019 is a serious Lexus insider with a ton of knowledge of this issue, I would remain skeptical. Also, the way he stated "April 2019 Lexus will update all" makes it seem like he thinks this is a simple software upgrade, not the case here.

I have a very good standing with my dealership and they are trying to right the wrong of the salesman who told me Carplay would be an upgrade for my car, they feel very bad about it. So if it was available or plans to make it that way, I know they would tell me for sure. Of course I'm hoping I'm wrong on all this, but after my few hour visit and chats, I did not get a positive feeling about the issue...
It's sad to see people on here who blame themselves for dealer mistakes. If someone sold me a car and said it had CarPlay and it didn't, I would immediately take it back. If they were so intractable as to not remedy the mistake (possibly credit me $, eg, or quite simply take the vehicle back), I would then seek legal recourse.

I implore you to get some sort of satisfaction from your dealer. It's a really bad start to an already bad relationship, surely to only get worse.
Old 01-14-19, 08:13 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skyshadow
I have heard this MULTIPLE times. Carplay is really played up like it is some heaven sent, but honestly car companies have caught up and passed them in the tech dept. I don't know why people want to turn off our dynamic nav and voice so they can talk to Apple and use the slower processing power of their phone to do it. And before someone states "well Lexus messed it up", Lexus has nothing to do with Apple Carplay. It's is a OS of it's own. You turn off our OS and start theirs. We do nothing.
What metrics are you using to conclude that an iPhone (the exact model which you've not stated) has "slower processing power" than Lexus XYZ?
Old 01-14-19, 08:30 AM
nitroracer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jim2527
What if you bought a Silver iPhone in January and Apple released a new color in February? Would you be ticked because you preferred that color more? If I buy product 'A' with 'X' features, then 'X' features is what I paid for. Keep in mind that Apple is no longer supporting anything older than Gen6 iphones.

But yes, I'm with you, for Lexus to 'fine print' available after is kind of sucky on their part. And to make a major running change is kind of sucky as well. They must be playing a serious game of catch up....hence the 2018-19 update.
Well, to be fair, Apple intentionally avoids this behavior. They are the most transparent as far as signaling what they'll be releasing. In fact, IIRC, many years ago, there was a big to-do because they dropped the price of their iPhone after all the initial early adopters made their purchases. They ended up issuing everyone a $100 credit.

https://www.theinternetpatrol.com/st...rop-on-iphone/

Not wanting to get into Apple too much, but point being, anyone sold a bill of goods at their local Lexus dealership should get some sort of fair-value credit. That's the only way to show they care about customer loyalty.
Old 01-14-19, 05:02 PM
Nubbish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nitroracer
It's sad to see people on here who blame themselves for dealer mistakes. If someone sold me a car and said it had CarPlay and it didn't, I would immediately take it back. If they were so intractable as to not remedy the mistake (possibly credit me $, eg, or quite simply take the vehicle back), I would then seek legal recourse.

I implore you to get some sort of satisfaction from your dealer. It's a really bad start to an already bad relationship, surely to only get worse.
Well I still was going to get the car anyways, so it’s not that big of an issue. And normally I would have mentioned it or had them do a hardware retrofit but I have nothing in writing, and to take any course of legal action it needs to be documented. Didn’t think I would need documentation, as most people hope to not go that route! I don’t know many people that would get that in writing as it’s not that big of a deal to me anyways. Plus I’d rather not be on their **** list lol. I usually get a new model every 2-3 years and time flies!

Last edited by Nubbish; 01-14-19 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-16-19, 07:08 PM
Jmask5
Driver School Candidate

I went to my dealership here in Toronto Canada and asked again about Carplay and they said it will be rolled out by lexus canada. They told me they are telling customers who buy pre-October 2019s that it will be retrofitted. Thats the latest.
Old 01-16-19, 07:12 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

I went to my dealership here in Toronto Canada and asked again about Carplay and they said it will be rolled out by lexus canada. They told me they are telling customers who buy pre-October 2019s that it will be retrofitted. Thats the latest.
Good. The same was posted twice earlier in this thread. Any details on how it will be updated? Over the air, USB?

Quick Reply: Lexus Enform 2.0 to update with Apple CarPlay