NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus Enform 2.0 to update with Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-18, 07:54 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

And YES, what I said was true. Lexus is not being official about it this soon for the sake of current sales. You are all already owners so I saw no harm in spilling the beans.
Old 12-23-18, 07:59 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Grahaminat
STAY AWAY FROM Scout GPS! That software will get you killed! Twice now, on the INTERSTATE, Scout GPS gave directions as follows; "Make a U-turn." Umm...no thanks.

Good luck!
Sounds like bad GPS signal or bad settings in for GPS in your phone. Some times something as simple as not allowing wifi to be on, which helps with position accuracy. Also, you shouldn't be so absolute about something like software. A good analogy would be that you wouldn't use Apple products because their UI was inferior to Microsoft in 1987. Essentially I'm saying, these things change and grow with time.
Old 12-23-18, 09:42 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by skyshadow
And YES, what I said was true. Lexus is not being official about it this soon for the sake of current sales. You are all already owners so I saw no harm in spilling the beans.
Any idea if it's a free update?
Old 12-23-18, 10:01 PM
akkim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like bad GPS signal or bad settings in for GPS in your phone. Some times something as simple as not allowing wifi to be on, which helps with position accuracy. Also, you shouldn't be so absolute about something like software. A good analogy would be that you wouldn't use Apple products because their UI was inferior to Microsoft in 1987. Essentially I'm saying, these things change and grow with time.
I think Scout GPS is not all that bad as the last resort. After putting aside the language selection and not-intuitive UI issues...one thing really bothers me is the phone interface locked up completely when it's connected to the car. Hopping Siri works with Scout GPS would be too much. At least it should allow copy & paste an address (from iPhone contact or another app, e.g. mail) when the gear is in parking. Yes, I can turn off the engine. However, that make me to go through all boot up process again. Connecting Enform, USB cable, and umerous click of "OK" buttons. Sometimes, if USB cable is connected before Enform, the car never found Scout over USB.

Also, there could be another person in the car handling the phone. The phone touch screen is much better than the touch pad on car. There should be some option freeing up the phone UI with user consents.
Old 12-24-18, 04:16 PM
motorchang
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything about pre 2018 NXs?
Old 12-24-18, 04:57 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I have heard this MULTIPLE times. Carplay is really played up like it is some heaven sent, but honestly car companies have caught up and passed them in the tech dept. I don't know why people want to turn off our dynamic nav and voice so they can talk to Apple and use the slower processing power of their phone to do it. And before someone states "well Lexus messed it up", Lexus has nothing to do with Apple Carplay. It's is a OS of it's own. You turn off our OS and start theirs. We do nothing.
Apple carplay is not an OS, its just a software frontend/layer. Although I`m not sold on CarPlay or AA either however the way that I look at it is, its better to have options then just be plain stuck with none. Lexus in built systems will age, phones will not as most upgrade. Software updates on the CarPlay will introduce features whereas Lexus enform updates take away features that are popular. I

Its about longevity with these frontends. If you lease a vehicle, I heavily doubt these things matter. If you purchase the vehicle and keep it a considerable time, things to consider.
Old 12-29-18, 12:29 PM
MDLex2018
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please let the April 2019 retrofit be true

I really hope that the news about CarPlay retrofit is true. I have been emailing Lexus and leaving comments on Enform 2.0 app in the App Store with replays encouraging me to use Scout GPS or plug my iPhone audio. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lexus charges for retrofitting because it would require equipment and software upgrade just like Mazda (Given that Toyota and Mazda share the same factory, supposedly). But hey I would pay to have my car officially upgraded than trying some bootleg method that will void my warranty.
Old 12-29-18, 12:51 PM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Maybe someone else knows more but I don’t think this would require a hardware change as the 2018/2019 NX has a refreshed infotainment system. I’m sure it can handle CarPlay.
Old 12-29-18, 03:06 PM
elettron10
Driver School Candidate

I had a conversation with Lexus via chat since the Lexus NX pre-Oct 2018 doesn't have Apple Carplay. The customer representative assured me that my feedback will be sent to the Lexus Headquarters.
I suggest everyone here complains via Lexus chat/email too. The more complaints they receive the better the chances of a change.

https://www.lexus.com/contact
Old 12-30-18, 11:18 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

I get that 2018 wont have it, but owners of pre-oct build 2019s should be outraged over this oversight. At least retrofit it, or offer compensation....(doubt either will happen unless the company becomes generous). I think the only thing that might be hopeful, is the aftermarket. I know bmw aftermarket came in clutch to install things on build date differences. They could retrofit, code remotely the features into similar platforms (F10 5XX with CCC vs CIC).
Old 12-31-18, 04:16 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

You didn't hear this from me, BUT April 2019 Lexus will update all 2018-2019 NX to have Carplay.
Perhaps you missed this post.
The following users liked this post:
elettron10 (12-31-18)
Old 12-31-18, 08:13 AM
elettron10
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I saw the post. I just wish they would release an official statement about the update.
Old 01-02-19, 08:46 AM
jim2527
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I’ve never understood why people think Lexus (Toyota) is obligated to make features backwards compatible through updates. Sometimes it’s simply not possible. Jeep people went through this with UConnect and the wizards on the Jeep forum determined it was a hardware issue that prevented backwards compatibility not a software issue.

Maybe Ford/Mazda simple got lucky in that their systems are backwards compatible?

Would I like backwards compatibility for my RC? Yes. Will I be disappointed if it never happens? Nope.
The following users liked this post:
Baby888 (05-14-19)
Old 01-02-19, 10:51 AM
elettron10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jim2527
I’ve never understood why people think Lexus (Toyota) is obligated to make features backwards compatible through updates. Sometimes it’s simply not possible. Jeep people went through this with UConnect and the wizards on the Jeep forum determined it was a hardware issue that prevented backwards compatibility not a software issue.

Maybe Ford/Mazda simple got lucky in that their systems are backwards compatible?

Would I like backwards compatibility for my RC? Yes. Will I be disappointed if it never happens? Nope.
What about if you buy an Iphone XS in January and Apple releases a brand new OS in February only for Iphone XS manufactured after February? Do you feel OK with that too?
I have an NX 2019 pre-Oct and I feel Lexus should make Carplay available also for that model.
Old 01-02-19, 10:58 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Per a previous post, Lexus is adding CarPlay to 2018-2019 NXs.

Quick Reply: Lexus Enform 2.0 to update with Apple CarPlay