NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Lexus Enform 2.0 to update with Apple CarPlay

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-19, 06:12 AM
mikenj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alexa support

I installed the update yesterday on a 2018 NX300 Panasonic head unit it took about 1 hour. However I do not see the Alexa feature added how do you add that? Also does anybody have the files necessary to place on a USB drive to update the maps to the latest available version?
Old 05-08-19, 06:15 AM
mikenj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by elettron10
Move the files/folders in the root of the USB drive
Copy the extracted files from the extracted folder to the root of the USB drive. The USB drive should only contain the extracted files no folders!

-Mike
Old 05-08-19, 06:17 AM
mikenj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by elettron10
you're right...I missed this part " Please note that, Lexus+Alexa is supported only on Android phones, however iOS (iPhone®) availability is coming soon."
Ok that explains it. Anybody know why you can’t use SIRI while driving with Carplay active? I get a message saying sorry I can’t search the web while driving.

-Mike
Old 05-08-19, 06:23 AM
mikenj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ross7777

Wireless CarPlay is not supported in the NX. Very few vehicles support it.
Does the car not have the necessary hardware or the software currently doesn’t support it?

Mike
Old 05-08-19, 07:02 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mikenj
Does the car not have the necessary hardware or the software currently doesn’t support it?

Mike
I assume both. The few that have it do not provide a very good user experience.
Old 05-08-19, 07:03 AM
ross7777
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mikenj
Ok that explains it. Anybody know why you can’t use SIRI while driving with Carplay active? I get a message saying sorry I can’t search the web while driving.

-Mike
You can use Siri to play music and navigate but I assume web browsing is off the table for safety reasons.
Old 05-08-19, 10:48 AM
slypx
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Is the update a multi-language update or English-only ?
Old 05-08-19, 11:15 AM
mx3r
Driver School Candidate

Guys, I've updated my 2019 NX300 (Pre-Oct) and everything went super-well.

I was a bit nervous at the beginning, but now it's completed.

Couple of things:
1) Use FAT32 format for USB. Put all the files in the root folder
2) Find a nice quiet place where you can keep your car running
3) Be patient and follow the manual

Also, my e-Owners Manual did not reset and all my setting are in place.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.
Old 05-08-19, 05:17 PM
GabC
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slypx
Is the update a multi-language update or English-only ?
Are you talking about carplay language or enform 2.0 language? Carplay's language is based on your iphones language. So if your iphone's language is Chinese, then carplay will be displayed in Chinese. Enform 2.0, there is a place where you can change the language on the system.. whatever language it shows you, those will be it.
Old 05-08-19, 06:37 PM
slypx
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GabC
Are you talking about carplay language or enform 2.0 language? Carplay's language is based on your iphones language. So if your iphone's language is Chinese, then carplay will be displayed in Chinese. Enform 2.0, there is a place where you can change the language on the system.. whatever language it shows you, those will be it.
Not CarPlay, the Lexus multimedia display files. As I am a French-Canadian, just wandering if the zip-file is applicable to all and in multiple languages or if they are specific to the US market. Is there any files (from Lexus) for the specific markets or if these are a “one size fits all” solution upgrade files ? Looking for the French (Canada) and metric system in it
Old 05-08-19, 09:16 PM
Johnny Mayday
CL Town Crier

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey everybody!

First, I wanted to say that everyone here is braver than I am with regard to this kind of stuff. Just wanted to let you know that Lexus contacted the forum about this thread, and they weren't all that stoked about it. What you do is up to you — obviously — but I wanted to post these sentences from the email:

"We noticed a Club Lexus forum post that includes a link to download the CarPlay update files that are now available at dealers. We understand that some owners would prefer to attempt this update themselves, but they are risking serious damage to their systems that will not be covered under warranty if they do so."

Just wanted to keep everyone aware. As you were.
Old 05-08-19, 10:54 PM
GabC
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by slypx
Not CarPlay, the Lexus multimedia display files. As I am a French-Canadian, just wandering if the zip-file is applicable to all and in multiple languages or if they are specific to the US market. Is there any files (from Lexus) for the specific markets or if these are a “one size fits all” solution upgrade files ? Looking for the French (Canada) and metric system in it
It's for north america. So it will work for canada. The canadian update files are the same ones used for USA.
The following users liked this post:
slypx (05-09-19)
Old 05-09-19, 03:19 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday
Hey everybody!

First, I wanted to say that everyone here is braver than I am with regard to this kind of stuff. Just wanted to let you know that Lexus contacted the forum about this thread, and they weren't all that stoked about it. What you do is up to you — obviously — but I wanted to post these sentences from the email:

"We noticed a Club Lexus forum post that includes a link to download the CarPlay update files that are now available at dealers. We understand that some owners would prefer to attempt this update themselves, but they are risking serious damage to their systems that will not be covered under warranty if they do so."

Just wanted to keep everyone aware. As you were.
Makes you wonder if scare tactics work so that they can charge? Has anyone gone to the actual dealer and asked for this update? If so did they try to charge for it? I know it "should" be free but I can definitively see dealers trying to charge the $199 MSRP, then when someone complains as an "act of kindness" charge half of that because they still want to make a buck...

Also isn't it funny how we are risking serious damage when the dealer is installing the update same way via the instructions that are on the toyota site... If the dealer bricks the headunit they replace as per the instructions...lol Totally get the potential for bricking something but at the same time, I don't think it's as dire as they make it out to be. This is coming from someone that has always rooted their phones, updated other car system, upgrades IT equipment worth many many times over what this head unit costs and normally is more of a complicated process.. The directions seem rather straight forward to me. Use a quality thumb drive that is properly formatted and has the correct files in the root directory. The car does the rest.. then reinstall the owners manual if need be. On a scale of 1-10 for hardness this definitely looks like a 1.5 to me.

-Nigel
Old 05-09-19, 06:19 AM
badad
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the update yesterday and worked like a charm. I even stopped at the step 10 and restarted the update later, because I had to use the car. Also did the eManual update following the instructions.
The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (05-09-19)
Old 05-09-19, 07:21 AM
AngelSugar
Driver School Candidate

Default Dealer Cost for Upgrade

I contacted my dealer and they do have the upgrade to Apple Car Play.. Invited me to make an appointment which would take two hours. The fee is $199 plus tax.
OY!

Quick Reply: Lexus Enform 2.0 to update with Apple CarPlay