NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Just ranting: Heated Steering Wheel...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18, 09:16 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Just ranting: Heated Steering Wheel...

During this very cold winter season, the flaws in the heated steering wheel become glaring.

First it doesn't stay on when you turn off the car like the heated seats, so when you remote start the car it doesn't warm up.

Second, Lexus really cheapened out by not having the heating element go all the way around wheel so pars of the wheel warm up and other parts stays ice cold.

(rant over)

Anyone know if they fixed these issues with any software or hardware updates?
Old 01-08-18, 12:14 AM
Ogrechan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tresmith00
During this very cold winter season, the flaws in the heated steering wheel become glaring.

First it doesn't stay on when you turn off the car like the heated seats, so when you remote start the car it doesn't warm up.

Second, Lexus really cheapened out by not having the heating element go all the way around wheel so pars of the wheel warm up and other parts stays ice cold.

(rant over)

Anyone know if they fixed these issues with any software or hardware updates?
The element position is the same for 2018. Not sure if it stays on, but more than likely no. Being in SoCal, I have only used it once, so it does not bother me...
Old 01-08-18, 07:50 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

i like it...
The following users liked this post:
toyoman29 (01-08-18)
Old 01-08-18, 07:50 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

Aww bohoo...coming from a vehicle without a heated steering wheel, it's wonderful just the way it is.
lexus114 (01-08-18)
Old 01-08-18, 08:01 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

At least the switch for the heated wheel is easily found, the gymnastics required to find the
wiper bed heaters are ridiculous. 1) after you restart the remotely started car... 2) press the
menu button on the console...3) while wearing gloves use the remote control to find "Climate"
4) find the sub menu icon while wearing fogged up glasses... 5) open the sub menu and touch
the wiper bed heater icon. 6) Go ahead and begin sweeping the snow off the car.

It would seem very easy to make the steering wheel heater and the wiper bed heater (and the
rear window/outside mirror defroster) thermostatically triggered when the remote start kicks in.
The following 2 users liked this post by mcomer:
mevius (02-01-19), nx200tbwb (01-30-19)
Old 01-08-18, 01:13 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by mcomer
At least the switch for the heated wheel is easily found, the gymnastics required to find the
wiper bed heaters are ridiculous. 1) after you restart the remotely started car... 2) press the
menu button on the console...3) while wearing gloves use the remote control to find "Climate"
4) find the sub menu icon while wearing fogged up glasses... 5) open the sub menu and touch
the wiper bed heater icon. 6) Go ahead and begin sweeping the snow off the car.

It would seem very easy to make the steering wheel heater and the wiper bed heater (and the
rear window/outside mirror defroster) thermostatically triggered when the remote start kicks in.
Now this I agree with...talk about hiding that feature WAY down in the menus. They could have just made the recirc toggle the same width as the rest of the buttons in the climate panel to be able to fit it easily. I'm guessing they don't put it in all markets so rather than having two climate panels, they just put it in the menus.
Old 01-08-18, 05:31 PM
fredw1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Wiper bed heater? I don't seem to see that in the owner's manual.
mevius (02-01-19)
Old 01-08-18, 05:46 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by fredw1
Wiper bed heater? I don't seem to see that in the owner's manual.
Another feature us in the States don't get.
mevius (02-01-19)
Old 01-08-18, 06:04 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Another feature us in the States don't get.
Yes we do. Both of my cars have it. It's just so buried most people don't even know its there. It only stays on for ten minutes and then you have to turn it on again anyway. It doesn't work all that well so if your car doesn't have it you aren't missing that much.
mevius (02-01-19)
Old 01-08-18, 08:17 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Yes we do. Both of my cars have it. It's just so buried most people don't even know its there. It only stays on for ten minutes and then you have to turn it on again anyway. It doesn't work all that well so if your car doesn't have it you aren't missing that much.
It's really just for de-icing wipers frozen to the windshield...it works well for that purpose.
Old 01-08-18, 10:01 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by no1SomeGuy
Aww bohoo...coming from a vehicle without a heated steering wheel, it's wonderful just the way it is.
Whatever man. I know I'm not the only who's complained about this. It's really annoying to have part of the steering wheel warm and the part ice cold.

This is a luxury car...emphasis on the word luxury. It's real cheap not to heat up the entire steering wheel. And from the quick research I did it's the only car in the Lexus lineup with that flaw. So it's not like Lexus didn't know what it was doing.
Old 01-08-18, 10:08 PM
tresmith00
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ward6096
Wow ok...going to look for it tonight. I see that you have two 300h's and I'm hoping that my 200t F sport has it.
Old 01-08-18, 10:53 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts

I don't think all NX's came with this for the windshield wiper de-icer. I say this only because when I go on their site it's consider the winter package which is $100 option to add the deicer. Every dealer we went to did not get this. Even my wife's NX she just got which has pretty much every option didn't have it. I wonder why they just didn't include it. You spend $50k for a vehicle something like this should just be packaged in and already on the car.

On the topic of the heated steering wheel. This is our first vehicle that has the heated steering wheel. I normally hold the wheel at the 3-9 positions and that's where I felt warmth. I liked it a lot actually. My level of "standard features" after this vehicle are going to cause us to spend more money on the next car...lol. I didn't play around on the wheel enough to see where the cold spots are but I will here once winter really sets in the next couple of weeks. I do say this though, I never thought I would really need/enjoy a heated steering wheel but turning it on and then having my hands get warm in a cold car was rather nice :-)

-Nigel
Old 01-09-18, 06:47 AM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Whatever man. I know I'm not the only who's complained about this. It's really annoying to have part of the steering wheel warm and the part ice cold.

This is a luxury car...emphasis on the word luxury. It's real cheap not to heat up the entire steering wheel. And from the quick research I did it's the only car in the Lexus lineup with that flaw. So it's not like Lexus didn't know what it was doing.
It's an entry level luxury vehicle...plus the entire wheel isn't the same material all the way around so it makes sense why they only put it where it is. It's such a tiny thing, hardly a problem at all (and I live in Canada where we have real winters). If you want to complain, complain about the crappy infotainment system or something that actually is bad.
Old 01-09-18, 11:47 AM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I love my heated steering wheel, and just like the heated steering wheels on my Audi and BMW, the heated part is exactly where my hand are, between the 9 and 3 o'clock position.

Depending upon when you might have had your driver's education (some us never did!) you might have been taught to keep your hands in the 10 and 2 position on the steering wheel, but now with the advent of the airbag, keeping your hands at the 9 and 3 o'clock position (this is probably why the NX has the analog clock ) is recommended because:
The higher up you have your hand on the wheel, the more likely they are to be directly over the plastic airbag cover when it opens, and that's when the superhot nitrogen gas flashes and inflates the bag at 150 to 250 mph.

I recently read an NHTSA report (hey, I was waiting at the barber shop) that said injuries reported from improper hand placement on the steering wheel when an airbag deploys include amputations of fingers or entire hands, traumatic fractures, and a particularly stomach-churning injury called "degloving," which — trust me — you definitely don't want to look up.

Sometimes I read complaints on various forums and just roll my eyes....this is one of those times.

Quick Reply: Just ranting: Heated Steering Wheel...