NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Dash speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-17, 01:30 PM
JLEXNX
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dash speakers

Quick question about installing dash speakers in the nx. Is there no wire harnesses? If not how do I connect them? Do I cut the oem connector off then what? Please give me step by step instructions and if you have pics that would be helpful also. Thank you
Old 12-06-17, 06:42 PM
Ogrechan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link to a thread below with some information.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...-speakers.html

Generally there is always a connector. Probably best to buy a matching one, or possibly use the one from the current speaker, so you are not altering the stock harness. You are better off finding a nice generic video on Youtube on how to reuse connectors and attaching them to speakers. This way you can see it.
Old 12-07-17, 07:16 AM
JLEXNX
Driver School Candidate

I found out from Crutchfield there’s no wire harness connectors for the dash speakers for after aftermarket speakers. So they said I have to splice. Now my question is after I cut the wire removing the oem connecter for the speaker what do I do now? Do I just splice then connect bare wires to the + - on the speaker? Or do I splice new wire onto it then put the bare wire on the + -?
Old 12-07-17, 01:44 PM
Ogrechan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never butcher the wiring harness. The pics I have seen have a connector ending at the speakers. I would do one of the following:
  • Get the connector configuration and see if you can find a match. There has to be a match somewhere.
  • If you are not selling the stock speaker, take the connector off of it and repurpose it, if possible.
  • See if you can find a connector which you can slip over the proper posts in the connector at the ending point of the harness. Attach them to a short length of speaker cable and the other ends to the speaker.
If you really are hard set on cutting the connector, just get a generic speaker connector, with a male and female side, which you can solder to the end of the harness and speaker. This is at least clean and allows you easy replacement, as needed.

At this point, you could start doing some investigation by pulling one speaker to lay eyes on what it looks like. This should give the information you need to choose whatever path you feel appropriate.

Last edited by Ogrechan; 12-07-17 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-08-17, 05:31 AM
JLEXNX
Driver School Candidate

Say I do cut the piece that connects to the positive and negative. Wouldn’t I be able to splice it back on if I were to go back to the stock speakers? But if you know where I can get a matching harness for it please let me know
Old 05-12-18, 07:31 PM
MacroZed
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I am about to swap the two corner dash speakers with Infinities next week on the wife's 2018 Hybrid. I plan on doing the same thing I did with our old CT200h....which is to cut the speaker terminals off of the old stock speakers, and solder them to the speaker terminals of the new replacements. This way, no cutting into the harness.

Solder usually holds enough, but sometimes I put a little 3M adhesive and glue the terminals onto the new baskets for strength.

BTW, what are the speaker locations and sizes for the rest of the system? Ours does not appear to have a sub in the back hatch.